Latest Gas Mileage Remote

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 06:04 AM
Engineering first
Default Re: Latest Gas Mileage Remote

Hi,

By using a Google search for "Prius cold weather" we found the following report:

Title: The Hybrid Experience Report
URL: http://www.hybridexperience.ca/Toyot...erformance.htm

Authors: Fraser Basin Council's BC Climate Exchange,
http://www.hybridexperience.ca/Acknowledgements.htm

Synopsis: One of the unique data charts is titled, "Distance and Temperature vs. Toyota Prius Fuel Performance - Best Fit Data from 2 2001 Toyota Prius - (Province of Manitoba)". This chart clearly shows the temperature impact on fuel economy of colder temperatures and the asymptotic improvement over distance.

- - - -

The data suggests it takes a while for the fuel efficiency to improve, which is consistent with 'mechanical warming' of lubricants and parts. Minimizing the fuel burn rate during warm-up would minimize loss at the begining.

Bob Wilson

ps. Posted to prius_technical_stuff group.

Old 12-29-2005, 07:14 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
- checking tire pressure
Bob Wilson

I wouldn't run the usual elevated tire pressure in the rainy season (let alone the snowy and icy season that some of you have). I want all the traction I can get when the roads are like that.

Probably does help to contribute to lousy gas mileage in the winter, but those tires are dodgy enough in the wet as it is.

Old 12-30-2005, 12:34 AM
Engineering first

Hi Andy,

Originally Posted by AndyTiedye
I wouldn't run the usual elevated tire pressure in the rainy season (let alone the snowy and icy season that some of you have). I want all the traction I can get when the roads are like that. . . .
I remember reading a Dept. of Transportation report that indicated properly inflated tires perform better than under inflated tires in all conditions. Apparently under inflated tires can hydroplane easier due to the lower weight per square inch. The effects were subtle, a couple of percentage points. but you know your local driving conditions.

Good luck!

Bob Wilson