I'm thinking of purchasing a 08 Prius, Can you tell me what you like & dislike?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 09:54 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: I'm thinking of purchasing a 08 Prius, Can you tell me what you like & dislike?

I've been doing some work with the 2001-03 Prius traction batteries as well as one 2004-current traction battery module. The current model traction batteries are visibly stronger and better constructed. Lessons were learned about the first generation batteries and applied to the 2004-current hybrids.

In contrast, the 2001-03 batteries have weak terminal seals and over time lose water from their electrolyte. We can refurbish them but the NHW11 batteries, alone, were the first generation, cells mass produced.

Bob Wilson

Old 04-11-2008, 12:28 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: I'm thinking of purchasing a 08 Prius, Can you tell me what you like & dislike?

I bought the camry hybrid about 3 weeks ago but I went back and forth between the prius and the camry..it came down to this:

Camry has more cabin space (hubby is 6'5'')
Camry was more attractive
Camry was better for my job (in which I somtimes have to drive clients places)

Prius had better gas mileage

3 to 1....had to go with camry

Old 04-11-2008, 02:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

just a question about the suspension and ground clearance about HCH 2 vs. Prius II:

which car has the more comfortable suspension tuning / more ground clearance.

thanks

Old 04-11-2008, 02:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tecis
just a question about the suspension and ground clearance about HCH 2 vs. Prius II:

which car has the more comfortable suspension tuning / more ground clearance?

thanks

Old 05-06-2008, 09:47 PM
The Devil's in the detail

I've just sold my 2006 HCH and will now be buying the 2008 Prius, so I can give you the options.

Both vehicles are great, except....

The HCH is better suited for lots of highway / freeway driving (smaller ptrol and electric motors)

The Prius is better suited for stop-go city driving.

"They both give excellent economy when driven as indicated above, but overall the Prius wins". You have to work "very" hard to achieve the economy figures that Honda quotes - much easier with the Prius.

The HCH has more features for the money and is more "car" like

The HCH lacks grunt! 86Kw versus 107Kw for ther Prius. (Total combined power figures)

The HCH is smooth and cheaper.

The Prius is a little more "agricultural" in its feel on the road, but nice nontheless.

It's very difficult to get the HCH into electric motor only mode (if at all) - The Prius has an electric motor only button to force into this mode under 40Klm an hour. Great on the morning crawl to work!

I should have bought the Prius first up....sorry HCH owners out there.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:00 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fancieface16
I'm currently in search of a hybrid, and have heard good things and not so good things about the Toyota Prius. I'm waiting information for people who actually own one. Please let me know what you like and dislike about it? Also, for anyone that has battery problems, let me know about them. Thanks for your time and energy.
I just bought mine and should take delivery next week. I am coming from a 2004 XLE camry so I will see some differences for sure. I'll post back after a week and let you know what I think.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:57 AM
Enthusiast

I've got an '06 Prius.

Dislikes: noisy tires, crappy stereo (tinny sound).

What I think could use improvement, but is not too terrible: suspension (ride quality)

Best thing: MPG, and the fact that I got mine soon enough to get the California car pool lane stickers.

Paula

Old 05-08-2008, 04:39 PM
Enthusiast

I have an 07 P with 25,000 miles and would definitely buy one again for all the reasons cited here -- nice pickup, good handling, easy to park, plenty of interior room, very reliable, excellent mileage (46 MPG over life of car), car pool-lane stickers and tax credit (sorry -- couldn't resist), comfortable ride.

You should definitely take a long trest drive, though. Although I find the drivers seat to be quite comfortable, even on day-long drives, several posters in this forum have complained that it hurts their backs.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:06 PM
Enthusiast

The tax credit is over I think - my understanding is that Toyota sold the max the govt was allowing credits for. As to the stereo - my old camry had a great system (6 speakers with lots of bass). I can always swap that in the new prius if I don't like it. Same with tires - can be upgraded. The seats another story - I have read both good and bad - I drove it for 1/2 hour in rush hour so I was sitting for a bit - it was definitely firmer than the old camry seats, but was OK. I guess I could always get some pads if it bothers me. Waiting for mine to arrive next week.