I have finally joined the club!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 01:38 PM
MMH + Prius = Bliss
Default I have finally joined the club!

Just finalized a deal here in Jersey on a 2005 Prius today! The wife and I are so excited to finally get behind the wheel of this wonderful vehicle. It took patience and a little luck (and a bit of persistence ) but on Monday we'll be driving around a lot more green than our current Explorer offers.

And no, this was not the same 2005 Prius I was looking at in the other thread :
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...houghts-16386/

In the end, we ended up going to another dealer, having a much better experience (the deal in the above thread crumbled because they tried to bait and switch on us..) .. it was the first car dealership that we didn't feel slimey dealing with. Granted, it's a Lincoln/Mercury dealership, but that might bode well when we look to trade in the Ford in a few years for perhaps a MMH.

As far as the car goes - 2005 Gold Prius, just about 47k miles, fully loaded (Navigation package. .I believe the package is called the "BC" package) - Was listed at $18,999 and we got it OTD at $19,056 with a lifetime powertrain warranty (labor costs included!).

I can't wait to get to know the car more after Monday! Hooray!

Let the MPG tracking begin.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:05 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: I have finally joined the club!

Welcome to the CLUB!

Originally Posted by vttym
Just finalized a deal here in Jersey on a 2005 Prius today! The wife and I are so excited to finally get behind the wheel of this wonderful vehicle. It took patience and a little luck (and a bit of persistence ) but on Monday we'll be driving around a lot more green than our current Explorer offers.

And no, this was not the same 2005 Prius I was looking at in the other thread :
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...houghts-16386/

In the end, we ended up going to another dealer, having a much better experience (the deal in the above thread crumbled because they tried to bait and switch on us..) .. it was the first car dealership that we didn't feel slimey dealing with. Granted, it's a Lincoln/Mercury dealership, but that might bode well when we look to trade in the Ford in a few years for perhaps a MMH.

As far as the car goes - 2005 Gold Prius, just about 47k miles, fully loaded (Navigation package. .I believe the package is called the "BC" package) - Was listed at $18,999 and we got it OTD at $19,056 with a lifetime powertrain warranty (labor costs included!).

I can't wait to get to know the car more after Monday! Hooray!

Let the MPG tracking begin.
Sounds like you're going to have a bunch of fun. Looking forward to hearing your trip reports.

Bob Wilson

Old 01-11-2008, 05:58 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: I have finally joined the club!

Originally Posted by vttym
..but on Monday we'll be driving around a lot more green than our current Explorer offers. Let the MPG tracking begin.
Congratulations on the purchase. It's nice to see a young man so excited about energy savings. And guess what! With the driving techinques you will acquire over time, you'll naturally translate those habits to the Ford Explorer. My last trip from Louisville to Raleigh in my 96' Explorer, 4.0L, 4WD, trailer hitch, and loaded with 'stuff', I got 24.8MPG for the 500+ mile trip. My son now is the owner. The Explorer can't possibly compete with the FEH, but hybrid ownership, regardless of which one, makes you constantly think of conservation.

So the good news is you will get GREAT mileage with the Prius. And even better news, you will develop driving habits that will result in great mileage on any and all vehicles from this day forward. And you will be a slower/safer driver. Win, Win, Win. Some people don't even think of the safety factor that hybrid driving brings to their lives.

I even try to attempt to save fuel when driving an old Ford 2000 Tractor, as well as my lawn tractor. It becomes a way of life.