Hydrogen Prius

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 02:58 PM
Site Founder

Thought you may find this interesting...
http://www.h2nation.com/publications/archi...ticle041404.cfm

Old 05-22-2004, 04:13 PM
Contributor ($)

Interesting article and interesting site.

I just watched a show on PBS the other night (Alan Alda is the host) that discussed hybrid cars, including the idea of hyrdogen/electric hybrids, too.

Old 07-09-2004, 01:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

This is very exciting stuff. Imagine what Toyota could do if they wanted to...

The Hydrogen Car Company will release SUVs and pick-ups in early 2005. These vehicles have standard ICEs that have been converted to hydrogen.
http://www.h2carco.com/Drive_cars_suvs.html

Old 07-09-2004, 01:44 PM
Site Founder

lol and it gets to... sit in your garage collecting plain air in the tank? There's no hydrogen at the pump!

Old 07-09-2004, 06:36 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi All:

___Might I suggest begin doing a bit of research over at EVworld.com for a heads up on what H2 can and cannot do for you today or in the near future. The Well-to-Wheels energy analysis are so far out of whack as to make the whole H2 future an absolutely huge question mark.

___This article entitled Romm v. Thomas - The Debate Continues is a great start for those interested in such matters …

___Personally, I bet pure Ethanol for regular ICE’s no matter the much lower energy content and/or Biodiesel for Diesels will become realities far sooner given the energy equations (well to wheel again) long before H2 ever makes it into a truly mass produced automobile.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 07-09-2004, 10:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks Wayne,

That article is really a great start... I did not have the patience to read all of it though. He goes in such detail about storage and safety, things that I'm sure will be solved in time. He is also focused on fuel cells and the problems related to that. The Hydrogen Car Company does not use fuel cells, neither does BMW in their "Clean Energy" hydrogen ICE cars.

Hydrogen is energy storage, comparable to batteries. The advantage to batteries is that the energy can be stored at a lower cost and that you can fill up hydrogen faster that you can charge a battery.

We should build more none-carbon power plants (including nucelar) to produce hydrogen (or just power if battery technology makes a frog-leap) and raise taxes so people and goods aren't transported in the crazy ways they are today. Global warming really scares me.

Wayne, do you know if there is enough ethanol and biodiesel for all cars?

Jason, aren't hydrogen pumps being built in California?
http://www.hydrogenhighway.ca.gov/fa...facilities.htm

Old 07-10-2004, 01:04 PM

Wayne,
I'm with you on that one.
Cheers,
Steven

Old 07-10-2004, 03:36 PM

Hi Johanerlandsson:

___There isn’t even close to enough ethanol or biodiesel being produced to power even a small percentage of today’s SI and Diesel ICE’s. CO2 wise however, it is zero sum vs. fossil fuels at 19 + pounds per gallon of petrol. When oil hits lets say $60/Bbl USD, then Ethanol/Bio diesel will really take off … Ethanol and biodiesel do have positive energy balances (well to wheel so to speak) unlike H2 whether it is burned directly or via FCV in a PEM based Fuel Cell.

___Along with that, there will be real competition for food production which in turn will make food costs rise as well

___As for future nukes used to produce H2, yes; I know all about that

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 07-11-2004, 01:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

I agree that the best would be cars running on renewable energy sources. But I doubt you can produce the amounts of biodiesel and ethanol that is needed to replace all fossile-based fuels. If so, then we might as well start building new nuclear power plants right away (together with raised energy taxes).

The absolute environmentalists wet dream is the development of cheap solar cells placed in Sahara. That would produce enough renewable hydrogen to supply the entire world with energy.

Old 07-11-2004, 05:41 PM

Hi Johanerlandsson:

___You might be interested in this article that popped up today

The Electric Utility of the Future

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Quick Reply: Hydrogen Prius

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands