Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
but I've recouped the cost.
Not really, do the math.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:10 PM
Banned
Default Re: hybrid news!

Originally Posted by Resist
Not really, do the math.
Getting an average of 60mpg over 122,000 miles instead of 35mpg...consistently getting over 70mpg last 2 years with gas prices over double of what they were in 2000 - I'm ahead.

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 06-20-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:12 PM
Active Enthusiast
Location: Two miles N of the technology 'center-of-the-world' in 1903, on the Outer Banks of NC

Originally Posted by PriusNut
If we had 60 Democratic senators (enough to stop a filibuster) or people put enough pressure on the Republicans, I'll bet we could get tax credits back.

But Bob's point is well taken. If manufacturing costs go down, tax credits won't matter. The invisible hand of the market is going to smack the oil companies right on their bottom lines.
Along with Bob's point is the fact that Toyota has already done a service for the public, and itself of course, by discounting the vehicle on the window by as much as $2000 ... and you still get the applicable tax credit.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:41 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
Getting an average of 60mpg over 122,000 miles instead of 35mpg...consistently getting over 70mpg last 2 years with gas prices over double of what they were in 2000 - I'm ahead.
Yes ahead as far as how much gas you used but not ahead with regards to the overall cost savings. You have to facter in how much you paid for the vehicle compared to a normal vehicle. Do the math and I will bet you find that the numbers come out just about equal. I think you will find you were only ahead because you polluted less not because you saved more money.

Last edited by Resist; 06-21-2007 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:05 AM

Has anyone else figured out their total cost of ownership? Would include purchase price minus probable current resale value, interest (if purchased via loan), insurance, maintenance, fuel cost, and all the rest of it.

My 2001 Prius (107k miles) used to be around 22 cents per mile. DIY maintenance probably saves me about 2 cents/mi. Now the classic Prius resale values are softening up and I'd have to call it closer to 24. Bob Wilson has previously posted Prius fleet data that was a bit lower, but unclear to me if insurance was included.

I'd guess that a lot of Prius are below 30 cents/mi. No doubt there are non-hybrid vehicles in the same range, but maybe not very many. Those purchased new, I mean. Used cars can be quite low, but with maintenance gotchas. EPA and AAA agree that cars purchased new average about 55 cents/mi.

Always looking for more data like this, so if anyone has kept track of the numbers, please post them up. Maybe we need a new thread for that.

It's about money, CO2 and pollutant-emission reduction, and technologically advanced vehicles that please most of their drivers very much. Greenie/technie/cheapie, you know the drill.

A well-maintained, used classic Prius could be killer in terms of TCO. Just a little tease, in case I decide to sell before going to China

DAS

Old 06-30-2007, 07:03 AM
Active Enthusiast
Location: Two miles N of the technology 'center-of-the-world' in 1903, on the Outer Banks of NC

Here is another key issue with all the hybrids now. Assuming a person is looking to buy a new vehicle and has the choice of two with equal amenities then the total cost of transportation for a hybrid or an ICE only vehicle is the same!!

The presence of tax credits swings the balance in favor of hybrids as long as the credits exist but even ignoring the credits a driver going 15000 mi/yr will spend the same 'extra' money no matter which choice is made.

The key decision is who do you want to send you money to? Big Oil and it's producing partners or an automotive company investing in more efficient means of transportation.
If you go from..
..an ICE Civic to an HCH you spend about the same;
..an ICE 4c XLE Camry to a TCH, you spend about the same;
..an ICE Yukon to a Yukon 2-Mode, you probably will spend the same ( pricing is not defined yet ).

Roughly there is a $3000 pricing difference between the ICE and it hybrid sibling. At 15000 mi/yr and $3/gal gas the hybrid sibling will save about $600 annually in fuel. With a typical 5 yr ownership period it's a wash. with a longer ownership the hybrids are the bargain.

Distance driven is important. At 4000-5000 mi annually it really doesn't matter what you drive. At 15000 miles annually the curve changes. At 25,000 to 40,000 miles annually it's a no brainer in favor of the hybrids.

The question still remains 'Which huge international company do you want to support more?'

Old 06-30-2007, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by kdhspyder
The question still remains 'Which huge international company do you want to support more?'
HONDA!

(Yes, I know it's a rhetorical question)

Old 06-30-2007, 08:29 PM
Hybrid Newbie

Honda !

Old 07-01-2007, 09:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

Current vehicles are tuned/built to minimize CO, NOx, and hydrocarbon emission, ignoring CO2. So to do so they burn extra fuel to keep the cat and engine warm. This is why you no longer see 50 MPG Suzuki swifts etc. That and the extra weight added to make current cars get good crash test ratings. Some of that may now change, as last fall the US Supreme Court ruled CO2 was an "air pollutant that the EPA can regulate". I'm not holding my breath, but it can now happen if there is political will.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Resist
Yes ahead as far as how much gas you used but not ahead with regards to the overall cost savings. You have to facter in how much you paid for the vehicle compared to a normal vehicle. Do the math and I will bet you find that the numbers come out just about equal. I think you will find you were only ahead because you polluted less not because you saved more money.
I did pay 13K in 1988 for the CRX HF and 23K for the Insight. Adjusting for inflation and safety improvements, that CRX HF would probably cost at least 3K more if it were available in 2000, just like any other car. Anyway my Insight is almost seven years old and think it's realistic that it will be good for that many more years. I'm getting MIMA (www.99mpg.com) installed on my Insight.

I don't think I'm doing too badly.

From a strict financial standpoint, if I'd taken care of that 88' CRX HF like I'm doing to my Insight now, it would still be running with about 360,000 miles on it by now and getting over 50mpg.