Help with Coastal EV modification

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 07:46 PM
Peak Oil Advocate
Default Help with Coastal EV modification

I just received my EV kit from coastal after waiting for about two months. After reading recent posts on prius chat, I'm having serious second thoughts about trying to do the modification by myself. Does anybody have any advice or experience regarding this matter. Who could I pay to get the job done? Thanks

Old 04-06-2006, 08:28 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Help with Coastal EV modification

I don't remember every last detail, but it wasn't too difficult and I did it in about 30 minutes. My one reservation was tapping into existing wires, but having a lot of experience with that when I was a teenager installing new stereos into my car seemingly every week, I got over that and managed just fine. if you follow the instructions you should be OK.

Having said that, if I had it to do over again, I probably wouldn't get the mod at all. I find myself trying to use it less and less recently just because I don't want to tap the batteries so much. Various threads around here regarding battery lifetime suggest its possible relying too much on EV can shorten the batteries' lifetime. I don't want to sound alarmist because I'm not *too* worried about it. But enough that I use the EV in moderation when possible!

I still use it about once a day though, for my very modest decline for 3+ miles to my house from work once I exit the freeway.

Rick