Getting a classic o2 Prius tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 02:42 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Getting a classic o2 Prius tomorrow

Time has arrived, tomorrow's the day!

After looking through all the service records etc, I will determine what needs to be done.

It has 63k miles on it and a transferable extended warranty which takes it out to 100k miles and Sept 2009.

I am sure it will be way different that the HAH and will need to focus on what it likes and dislikes same as we learned about the HAH.

I have a question that I can't find the answer to. I read somewhere but can not locate that info again. It mentioned when right after starting a Prius, be it a warm or cold engine, we are to 'wait' for some sort of BEEP before even considering putting it in gear. Is there any truth to this?

Thanks everyone for sharing all the info you have to date, I have already benefitted by it all and hope to continue as well as share back too.

Tony

Old 11-05-2006, 04:31 PM
04 prius 350,000km
Default Re: Getting a classic o2 Prius tomorrow

just twist the key, once and let go, the car will beep and you will see the ready sign light up. That's when its safe to shift gears,

I recommend reading Bob Wilson's web site for all the info you need about the car, as well as priusonline and yahoo prius chat group.

Welcome to the club! Oh and I bet the transaxle oil hasn't been changed yet!

Old 11-05-2006, 04:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the info on the BEEP and shift procedure. I didnt think it required rocket science but did want to make sure I knew about it when I get ready to point the car in the direction of its new home.

I have been folllowing all the chatter on the Prius and do belong to all the sites I could find. Bob Wilson has it all covered dont he?

I am going to check the records mainly to determine IF the T-fluid has been replaced yet. If not, it may be a candidate to be tested to see how depleted it really is.

Having a Prius and a HAH will be like owning the rabbit and the turtle. The Accord is overly powerful and from the sounds of it, the Prius is adequately powered, but no more.

I am glad this 02 prius will have a warranty for a while yet BUT at the same time too bad it has a warranty because I would like to jump in and replace the t-fluid with the newer one thats supposedly providing all the enhanced life and mpg's.

I am sure I will have more ??s in a day or so..... be ready!

Take it easy

Tony

Last edited by TonyK; 11-05-2006 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:04 AM
Engineering first
Wink Re: Getting a classic o2 Prius tomorrow

Welcome to the club!
Originally Posted by TonyK
. . .
I am going to check the records mainly to determine IF the T-fluid has been replaced yet. If not, it may be a candidate to be tested to see how depleted it really is.
. . .
I am glad this 02 prius will have a warranty for a while yet BUT at the same time too bad it has a warranty because I would like to jump in and replace the t-fluid with the newer one thats supposedly providing all the enhanced life and mpg's. . . .
Certainly get the transaxle oil changed early. Even replacing with clean Type T is better than not. If you have the dealer do it:

1) make sure they drop and clean the pan (look for a new gasket)
2) should be somewhere around $150 including labor

It is a somewhat 'messy' job but well within the capabilities of a Do It Yourself. The primary reason for changing is to minimize wear and needs to include wiping down the pan and all surfaces.

I've put a critical subset of the transaxle oil metrics in an open database. Oil testing, $20, is optional. If you live in a dusty area, the current data suggests sooner rather than later but for now, ENJOY!

About the mileage database, you can put the original mileage in the database but it will ask for the MPG. I bought my 2003 Prius used with 49,300 miles and had no clue nor interest in the first owner's performance. So I started my tanks as if from "miles 0" and recorded just about every tank. For me, the database is a training aid and tool and gives a way to master Prius driving.

GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 11-06-2006 at 06:44 AM.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:15 AM
Enthusiast

Congratulations!!
I just got an '02 the begining of July and I love it. It's a great car and lots of fun.

Mike