First 24 hours with a Prius

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 06:04 AM
'lectronimo
Default First 24 hours with a Prius

Folks,

Picked up an 06 Prius on WED. Traded in an 05 HCH. (More details why in my HCH forum postings)

Way to early to compare mileage but I think it will do better than the HCH. I've got 50 miles on the car and the FCD show 31 mpg. Temps during the first 24 hours were near 0 Deg F +/- 10 D., and 80% of the driving was creepy/crawly/short-trip/stop&go city driving.

The rear window visability is going to take some getting used to. The back up camera will be a help.

I have package 4 with traction control and VSC--AWESOME!!! We had a little snow here and roads have been glazed over and snow packed. Very predictable handling and control with the VSC.

Quite ride. The Prius is much quieter than my 05 HCH.

The biggest difference that requires adjust is the cockpit:

Digital vs analog speedo & no tach. I didn't realize how much I used them to get a quick status of operating conditions.

The shift lever on the dash. When I back out of the garage I find my self reaching for the floor shifter to switch gears to Drive. This too will pass.

The radio-cd/energy-fuel/climate-control multi-function LCD. Frankly this thing can be distracting while driving. But I'm pretty sure as I get more experience with it, that it will become second nature to operate.

Today, I'll get my first chance at my work commute, 50 mi round trip mixed city/urban/highway driving. Looking forward to some "quality time" with the Prius to assess it further.

Bottom line so far, I like it!

Last edited by 'lectronimo; 12-09-2005 at 07:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-09-2005, 07:20 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: First 24 hours with a Prius

Rod: I was the same way when i got mine, its an 05 with pkg 4. you will get used to all the new stuff. We just had about 9" of snow yesterday here in chicago and my drive home was, interesting, the car could not have handled the snow any better, the traction control and anti-lock brakes worked flawlessly. The only problem i had, or ever have for that matter is the other people on the road. I wish they would all move to texas where they dont have to "remember" that they live where it snows and rains! because they become morons when it does. And by the way, your milage will get tons better when it warms up, mine went to the gutter when it got cold. 35-40 on average when its cold. good luck and congrats.. Dean

Old 12-09-2005, 11:02 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: First 24 hours with a Prius

Rod,

I like the avatar in your header.

Keep in mind that you have changed class of vehicles by purchasing a Prius. This is not a compact but a mid-sized. Larger vehicle on the inside, about the same as your Hybrid Civic on the outside.

I'm glad you are pleased so far. I think you will find winter performance quite good. If the fuel economy isn't exciting right now wait until Summer. But just remember how well it handles, and you have the crappy factory rubber on it right now, too. Imagine how good it will be when you get your first set of real tires on it.

I agree a tach is useful on a car with a transmission that has discrete shift points, but on a car which has a CVT and more importantly the PSD, there isn't much point. You aren't in control of the engine on this car, the computers are, and as such the computer's job is to respond to commands you give it through the throttle. Engine RPM can vary widely based upon many conditions, outside temperature, battery state of charge, acceleration rate, braking rate, incline of road surface, weight in vehicle, etc.

I hope the car continues to impress you