Factory NAV

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Factory NAV

Why is it that the Factory NAV does not have more features? I have an old eMap, non color LCD GPS and it will tell me the upcoming cross streets. I would have thought the Toyota NAV would have had this. Sure I can put in route to get this info but I shouldn't have to. My eMap will even allow me to see what satellites it has contact with and their signal strength.

I am getting so sick of factory options costing so much yet we get less features than less expensive after market products. For example, satellite radio.

Is anyone else mad about this too?

Old 09-08-2007, 09:40 PM
Default Re: Factory NAV

Your eMap doesn't allow/have:

- bluetooth connectivity
- 5 million POIs
- 7" screen
- maintenance menu
- calendar
- memo
- split-screen capability
- Calling POIs via bluetooth
- voice-activation
- memorising a route (cookie trail)
- building footprint view
- COLOUR
- voice-guidance

Old 09-08-2007, 10:36 PM

I wasn't trying to imply that the eMap was better than the factory NAV, just that certain features seem to me, to be a no brainer and should be standard in the factory NAV. If I had one feature that would be the most useful, it would be the upcoming cross street feature.

But actually the eMap does memorize a route. It will even show you phases of the sun or moon.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:30 AM

ahhh ok.

Does it do that when on route?

My TomTom works the same way... current street when not in guidance, next street when in guidance.

Or do you mean showing the name of the cross street on the map itself (i.e. you're on Main street and you can see 1st Ave, 2nd Ave, 3rd Ave etc on the map)?

Old 09-09-2007, 10:46 PM

The eMap will show the upcoming cross street name anytime, when that option is picked. It does this by showing you the street name at the top of the screen, not on the map. It works really well when you have the map zoomed way out and can't see the street names on the map itself. This way you can easily tell what street you are approaching.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:09 AM

ohhh I see what you mean.

Yeah I've yet to see that on any factory nav. Even TomTom is starting that with its latest "NavCore 7" firmware.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

My Garmin Nuvi 650 displays the name of the next upcoming cross street as you drive. I was surprised to see the gravel roads named in rural Alberta (eg "approaching Range Road 327"). If you turn on guidance, "Jill" calls them out (Jill is one of several voices you can use in this unit).

Screen size is only 4.5" though, but I find it just fine. It's so easy to zoom in and out, fine details are no problem.

Even when -I- am navigating (Nuvi just displaying, not directing), I find it useful to see the roads ahead to confirm I'm going the right way. Especially in complex messed up intersections (messed up by changes over the years so they are not intuitive).

Old 09-27-2007, 06:51 AM
Happy Prius 2007 Owner.

"Why is it that the Factory NAV does not have more features? I have an old eMap, non color LCD GPS and it will tell me the upcoming cross streets. I would have thought the Toyota NAV would have had this. Sure I can put in route to get this info but I shouldn't have to. My eMap will even allow me to see what satellites it has contact with and their signal strength."

I actually use the "dual map" option all the time, the left side map I keep zoomed out and on north up mode, the right one I use zoomed in and on head up mode. Street names, situational awareness all at once . . . LOVE IT! I didn't want the nav, it was my wife who convinced me to get it. After playing with 5 different softwares for both windows and pocket pc, I don't miss any. Took a while to learn the features, but it has steadily grown on me. Voice recognition is good also to switch modes and zoom as well, got to do it in advance though for it takes time to get it to where you need/want it with voice.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:30 PM

It is still not the same if it doesn't have an approaching street option.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:21 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tideland Prius
Your eMap doesn't allow/have:

- bluetooth connectivity
- 5 million POIs
- 7" screen
- maintenance menu
- calendar
- memo
- split-screen capability
- Calling POIs via bluetooth
- voice-activation
- memorising a route (cookie trail)
- building footprint view
- COLOUR
- voice-guidance
All these things are nice but its basic function is to get you to an address. I was going to an address and just before I was to turn off the highway the guidence stopped. I had to pull off and dig out my TomTom it took me to the door. Come to find out the guidence quit at the street I was supposed to turn.

Another thing, I tried to enter the intersection where I live and according to the NAV system my street has no cross street. No problem with the TomTom.

For the NAV system running off of a DL DVD it won't do the basics, forget the extra stuff.

Quick Reply: Factory NAV

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands