Don't buy Prius GPS

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 09:37 PM
The Regenerator
Default Re: Don't buy Prius GPS

That was a lousy description. Here's what you get for energy screens in a no-nav TCH. When you're moving, arrows do what they do on the Prius screens. The ICE icon disappears completely when it's off, as it is here. Avoiding this pale little thing, functional as it is, would be about the only reason I'd consider an in-dash nav in a Camry.

Last edited by ekpolk; 09-08-2008 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ekpolk
I liked the NAV unit in my 04 Prius -- until my recent acquisition of an "almost new" 09 Camry Hybrid that has everything, except NAV. I used my accumulated AMEX bonus points, and got a nice little Magellan unit -- free! I thought I'd have to make do, but I was very wrong. The only drawbacks with the Magellan is the relatively small size, and the annoying suction cup. OTOH, having the thing positioned further up in my field of vision largely makes up for size. As to the rest, the maps are way better, the directions work better and faster, and the 3D view is much more intuitive. Want an update? For the firmware, it's a free download (the Magellan connects to a PC via USB). Map updates that cost hundreds of dollars from Toyota are $65 from Magellan (via CD/DVD). It's also very cool to be able to bring the unit in and plan a trip from the comfort of your living room. I've become an instant portable convert. No more in-dash units for me.

Oh, one other small regret, in the TCH, if you go no-nav, you lose the Prius-like energy screens, and have to work with a little playing card sized watered down version that sits inside the speedo (the speedo needle runs out from beneath it). Not as fun as the colored arrows, but it works well enough.
Thanks for the heads-up price on the map updates for the Prius. I have a Garmin 705 which is small (designed to be used on a bicycle). However I noticed I can set it for hiking/walking, or auto. Now that map is on a mini-sd card. I'm thinking I'll set in on auto and see how well it performs.

No suction cup, I might add.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:39 PM
The Regenerator

Oh, one other thing lacking in the Prius in-car NAV is any way to get at your altitude data. It may seem trivial, but it can be very useful, such as if you're in a marginal area where there's a risk of flooding. We're shopping for a bigger house here in Pensacola, and for pretty obvious reasons, I want to make sure we're well above sea level. It's right there on my little Magellan. It's somewhere in there in the Prius NAV, since GPS is a 3D system, it just won't show it to you... Very, very irritating (to me anyway).

Old 10-31-2008, 12:51 PM
BeechSportBill

Hey all you Prius GPS/NAV heads - anybody seen a sign of a new data update? I've bugged the dealer, and he sez - nothing, actually! My '07 Touring still doesn't know where I live, and the house has been there since 1948! Isn't it about time?????

Old 10-31-2008, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by BeechSportBill
Hey all you Prius GPS/NAV heads - anybody seen a sign of a new data update? I've bugged the dealer, and he sez - nothing, actually! My '07 Touring still doesn't know where I live, and the house has been there since 1948! Isn't it about time?????
Yeah and mine has been in Long Beach since 1942. I think it's not so bad, since I know where I live.

I've had the best results by plugging in the street name first. That gives you a five street selection, tho that might not work either.

I've been looking for an upgrade also, tho Toyota seems to be pretty cagey about it.

I've gotten best results in big cities, and worst on country roads, even being directed to make a turn which would put me into a corn field. It also got me lost in Ark. So, if traveling far from home, have a AAA trip-tik and maps.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:29 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bull Winkus
It turns out, way too much, because when it got me to Elizabethtown, KY it took me off the Parkway and onto I-65 N into Louisville and then on to Lexington on I-64. This was a complete dog leg out of the way on some of the most crowded interstate in Kentucky. What amazed me is that it took me off of the best route which was going straight into Lexington. The Blue Grass Parkway that runs EW through Kentucky is nearly all scenic byway with nothing but small towns until you get to Lexington.
Bull Winkus - it *may* be that you have your NAV system set to *not allow* toll roads. The BG Parkway used to be a toll road - and if the lack of updated map data is any indication of how long it takes to get new GIS data onto the NAV disk, the toll road information may also take as long to get updated.....?

Old 11-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Enthusiast

That's a good point, rdalemercer. I hadn't thought of it, though I think I have all possible routes turned on, but I'll check.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:52 AM
BeechSportBill

I've had the best results by plugging in the street name first. That gives you a five street selection, tho that might not work either.

---If I do that, I get sent out into an orchard!

I've been looking for an upgrade also, tho Toyota seems to be pretty cagey about it.

---AND if you call the complaint line, they KNOW WHO YOU ARE! and are actually quite rude!

BeechSportBill

Old 11-19-2008, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by BeechSportBill

---If I do that, I get sent out into an orchard!

---AND if you call the complaint line, they KNOW WHO YOU ARE! and are actually quite rude!

BeechSportBill
Truth be told, I did use my GPS to find a Best Western in Portland, I think a couple of years ago. It did get me to that motel, tho I wish it hadn't.

I pointed out that there's a lot slippage in the GPS (and I found that to be the case with Garmin's by NAVTEQ in my 705. Still the best results I found is to punch in the street first.

I also find that having a motel or some POI gets pretty good results also.

Toyota's website points out that updating should wait several years. There's a point in that which is, I think unless you're driving into a brand (or relatively new) area what is on the present CD (or is it DVD) will be on the new. I see no way that errors can be submitted so that the update will incorporate new info. So, even an update will not be perfect.

Never-the-less, I've become dependent on that GPS, warts and all. And, I've learned: carry a back-up, like a map.

Last edited by centrider; 11-19-2008 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Added concluding sentence
Old 01-09-2009, 08:29 AM
Enthusiast

I talked to my dealer's parts department today and he indicated that the GPS update was available to be ordered at $265.00 which is more than a aftermarket unit. I*'m not sure if I want to update since they didn't have any details about it.

I think that I'll look at a Garmin. You should contact Toyota and complain about this charge their number is 800-331-4331. If enough people complain Toyota may do something.

Last edited by ghgarcia; 01-09-2009 at 08:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Don't buy Prius GPS

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands