CVT Costs

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 06:49 AM
Enthusiast
Default CVT Costs

With a manual transmission, normal wear and tear on the clutch and gears means you normally have to replace the transmission every 200,000 miles or so at a cost of about $2000. With automatic transmission you have to replace the transmission fluid more frequently, and some say that replacing the transmission fluid more frequently at a lower cost in an auto leads to overall cost being higher than that of a manual.

However, what about CVT? Is it purely electronic and therefore there is no wear or slippage or does it need replacing?

Old 05-19-2007, 07:51 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: CVT Costs

I assume that you are asking about the Prius transaxle. It definitely has mechanical moving parts that are subject to wear. However, the gears do not "shift" and there is no clutch or torque converter.

I removed the transaxle drain pan on my 2001 Prius (which had < 60K miles at that time) and found a small accumulation of metal filings on the magnet, which is evidence that some gear wear had occurred.

Bob Wilson led a study of transaxle fluid life that showed that 2001-2003 Prius transaxle fluid should be replaced at 15K mile intervals while 2004+ Prius transaxle fluid should be replaced at 60K mile intervals. In 2004, the WS transaxle fluid started to be used. Older Prius used T-IV fluid.

The Yahoo Prius groups have had a few postings about failed transaxles. One case that I recall was due to a burnt winding on one of the motor generators. This is a very expensive repair ($5K+) if done out-of-warranty.

Patrick Wong

Old 05-19-2007, 04:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

While most owners of cars with manual transmissions don't change the oil regularly, it does have to be changed. Three of the cars I've owned specified change intervals, and they were similar to automatics. This includes the differentials.

The Prius system is no different in this respect than any other mechanical contrivance. Oil gets dirty, and oil "wears out" (the molecules are broken into shorter less lubricating forms). Change the oil as per the manufactures recommendation, or sooner, or you will not get good time use of the machine.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:26 PM
Enthusiast

Hi David,

Congratulations on your pending Prius delivery. In the distant past, I owned a Sunrise Red 1981 RX-7 and it was a great little car. Your RX-7 might use 2x the fuel, but I bet it is ~ 2x faster from 0-60 mph...

Interestingly, the Prius service schedule does not dictate transaxle fluid replacements, only "inspections". Some owners interpret this to mean that fluid changes are not required.

My reading of this is that the transaxle will last the duration of the powertrain warranty (60K miles) without a fluid change. However, if you would like your Prius transaxle to last substantially longer than 60K miles, it probably would be worthwhile to change the fluid per Bob Wilson's findings.

Patrick Wong

Old 05-21-2007, 07:41 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The absence of a removeable sump pan in the 2004-forward Prius could indicate their confidence that metal wear is not an issue (any more). Or, it could be a cost-cutting step.

The more cautious Prius drivers will continue to change their trans. fluids, at some interval, regardless.

DAS

Old 05-21-2007, 08:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well, if you go by the owners manual just saying "check" re transmission fluid, the anti-Prius (2001 Nissan Pathfinder) automatic transmission fluid would never have to be changed! NOT A GOOD INTERPRETATION!

It said the same thing about the diff. fluid as well. I never did get around to changing the trans. fluid, but I was preparing to before I traded it. I did put Royal Purple diff fluid in the two diffs. The magnets were really "fuzzy" with iron "bits". Wearin results.