Cost of Oil Change under Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 06:28 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Cost of Oil Change under Warranty?

I'll admit in full I'm too lazy to search, but there was a post here or on PriusChat where someone mentioned that fear. I guess I took it too seriously. And if you leave it to me I can break anything, so changing my own oil may be just the trick.

I called Toyota again and they told me $32.95 to change the oil, but they'll overinflate the tires while I'm there. I'm considering doing that since they should be sure to have the 0W oil (although I suppose I should call and confirm that as well based on some stories here...). I'm debating doing the brakes cuz that brings it up to $70.. maybe I'll live with it till 5K... . I'm just trying to do the advised 1K oil change to get metal filings out of the engine and overfill while there.

Last edited by SoopahMan; 11-07-2006 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:30 PM

0W oil is not approved for the Prius you know.

There really is no need to change the oil at 1k miles. Who told you there is....the dealership? The oil filter will collect anything that can cause damage to your engine.

Old 11-07-2006, 09:14 PM

Sorry I overabbreviated - lazy again - it's 0-20 something like that eh?

Old 11-07-2006, 09:29 PM

I knew what you meant and again.....0w-20 is NOT authorized for the Prius engine. No zero weight oil will be covered under your warranty should you have issues.

Old 11-08-2006, 01:22 AM

OK now I'm confused, I thought I've read here that Toyota invented a new synthetic oil for the Prius and it was called 0w-20? Good thing I asked this before I went in... .

Old 11-08-2006, 03:05 AM

Toyota did not invent zero weight oil. The Honda Insight has used it since 2000. So where did you read that Toyota is using it for the Prius? my 2007 says nothing abut it being approved and the last I had heard was other Toyota vehicles were approved for the zero weight oils but not the Prius.

Old 11-08-2006, 04:17 AM

OK, maybe I'm getting it confused with the transaxle stuff... . What is the recommended oil for the Prius engine? Based on my search... is it 5w30?

Old 11-08-2006, 04:18 AM

Yes just as the owners manual states, it is 5W-30. This manual actually has information you might need, read it sometime.

Old 11-08-2006, 05:37 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by SoopahMan
OK now I'm confused, I thought I've read here that Toyota invented a new synthetic oil for the Prius and it was called 0w-20? Good thing I asked this before I went in... .
In some of the Prius technical groups, the Canadians have reported that Toyota has 0W-20 listed as an optional oil. Folks in more temporate climes and interested in warranty protection should use what the local dealer and Owner's Guide recommends. In the USA, I believe that is 5W-30.

I've not studied ICE oils but had considered 0W-20 for the Alabama winters . . . considered, not committed:

1) ICE oil is subject to substantial, ready heat, unlike the transaxle
2) unknown temperature profile, I've measure transaxle oil warming
3) limited oil studies, we have data but no analysis

With the mini-scanner, I have improved instrumentation about ICE and vehicle performance. Before doing a study, I like to plan the experiment.

IMHO, if you have substantial periods of a days and weeks of below 32F/0C, I would agree that 0W-20 makes total sense. I'm less convenced, until I have data, that 0W-20 makes sense in areas where the cold season often includes days above 70F/21C.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 11-08-2006 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:11 AM

Quoting the post of James fchumbley, Prius Online msg # 77435
"Toyota's PANT, Parts & Accessory News Today, Bulletin 06-05, March 30, 2006, reveals that the 2007 Prius will be shipped with 0W20 motor oil. In this bulletin, Toyota does not use the word "synthetic," but on the bottle the dealer's parts salesman showed me, the word "synthetic" is printed in more than one place, so it seems that a reasonable conclusion is that the 2007 Prius will be shipped from the factory with a synthetic motor oil.

Here is the text of the bulletin:

March 30, 2006
To: Parts & Service Managers
Subject: GTMO Program Update--0W20 & 5W20 Motor Oil Introductions & May 1, 2006 Price Changes

Background: In a continued effort to help improve the quality, durability, reliability and environmental impact of Toyota & Lexus vehicles, Toyota Motor Corporation is introducing 0W20 engine oil as factory fill for new engines in select vehicles.

With ever increasing demand and competition to help improve fuel economy and performance in cold climates, Toyota Motor Corporation has decided to use 0W20 as one way to continue its technical leadership in the industry. Utilizing low viscosity engine oil (0W20) is one of the most efficient ways to help improve fuel economy and it also helps improve cold starting in extreme temperatures.

However, understanding that a complete and sudden transition from 5W30 to 0W20 may not be appropriate due to pricing, availability and compatibility issues, these new engines have been developed to also accept 5W30 engine oil, which is more readily available. We will also be introducing a 5W20 engine oil to launch on May 1st.

Vehicle Applications: The 2006 RAV4 4-Cylinder was the first engine to come with 0W20 motor oil as factory fill. In 2006 (2007 Model Year), the following vehicles will also be introduced with 0W20:
-- Prius
-- Camry 4-Cylinder (excluding Hybrid) [ASTOUNDING!!!]
-- Solara 4-Cylinder
-- Highlander 4-Cylinder
-- Tacoma V6
-- 4Runner V6 & V8
-- Sequoia V8
-- LS460
-- GX470"

Other than that, some Prius owners have already used 0W20 synthetic and based on the only used oil analysis of it so far, it produces the same amount of wear metals as do any other quality oils. Which is to say, about none.

DAS

Quick Reply: Cost of Oil Change under Warranty?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands