Can we talk about PRICE . . . .?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 10:57 AM
Enthusiast
Default Can we talk about PRICE . . . .?

I am looking for a new 2006 Prius. Out here in the San Francisco area, our dealers are asking for over MSRP for a Prius (exept for the fully loaded models).

Any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations? Anyone beat MSRP lately? I am looking for a Package 3.

THANKS!

Old 04-23-2006, 11:28 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Can we talk about PRICE . . . .?

Originally Posted by freddyflint88
I am looking for a new 2006 Prius. Out here in the San Francisco area, our dealers are asking for over MSRP for a Prius (exept for the fully loaded models).

Any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations? Anyone beat MSRP lately? I am looking for a Package 3.

THANKS!
Just a suggestion. Try looking on the internet for a 2006 Prius at other dealerships across the country. I know about two weeks ago there were two, a black and a blue '06 Prius on my local Toyota lot. There is not as great of a demand here for hybrids, as I am sure there is in San Francisco. You could more than likely find one one the lot, get a discount off MSRP and then pay to have it shipped to you cheaper than finding one in your area and waiting. I have shipped cars across country before and it is not as expensive as one may think. Depending on the type of car, and distance you'll spend between $300-$600 to have the car shipped. Most of the shippers also carry insurance no cost to you in case something would happen in shipping. Just an idea for you to think about. Good luck!

Old 04-23-2006, 11:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

If you read the threads regarding how much people pay for their prius
You'll discover that most people have paid MRSP, although there are a few others who have saved up to $1000.
It all depends on your bargaining skills, your patience, and luck.
I assume you havent bought your car yet, so I would suggest you call around different dealers in your area and get the best price. I would have them bid for your business. At least that's what i did.
I saved $1700CND off mine, Plus got free hood deflector and side window visors, plus i paid cash

It never hurts to wait, doing business to buy a car should NEVER be hasty. I took my time and i ended up with mine after 7 months. At first, I always wanted a prius but bought an HCHII, but the dealer coudnt deliver on time so I ended up with a Prius. Taking time can also give you the opportunity to save more money; who knows, if it takes long it may give you an opportunity to save up even more for a better and more luxurious package or you may even change your mind and end up with an HCHII 06.
but it's up to you, it's your money.

good luck,
gj

Last edited by CamelFilters; 04-23-2006 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:53 PM
Enthusiast

You're doing the right thing by networking. Check Craigslist. That's how I found our dealer and car. And post on priuschat.com. Ask others in the Bay area about current pricing and dealers. I have seen some better deals in Sacramento. That isn't too far and would be a pleasant first drive back home.

Old 04-24-2006, 07:02 PM
Enthusiast

I purchased my 06' w/ #7 package on 3/28/06 in southeast Massachusetts. It took about 4 hours of negotiation but paid $26,800 for a list w/ some other options of $28,460! Never thought I'd be able to even get a demo less a discount. In all honest, I was actually looking for a used VW diesel at this dealership when I was approached by a new salesmen who offered me a demo. The rest is history and I am very happy with my new Prius!

Last edited by YBLee; 04-25-2006 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:19 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

It's been said, but I'll say it again. Look at prices from dealers out of your area. It only costs a few hundred dollars to have the car shipped to you. If your local dealers are jacking up their prices, based on demand, get your car from where demand is low.
Don't bother taking this offer back to the local dealer. He's got people lined up to buy his car at over MSRP. If he's got someone willing to pay over sticker, he's not going to sell you one, because you found a better deal elsewhere.