Burning(ish) smell coming from inside cabin

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2021, 05:59 PM
Enthusiast
Default Burning(ish) smell coming from inside cabin

My 2013 Prius has about 190k miles on it, is serviced regularly, and I've never had any problems with it. This past week I've started to notice a strange almost burning smell while I'm driving. I couldn't figure out whether it was coming from outside the car or inside but now I think that it is coming from the inside (or at least lingering in there after the car is off). I let it sit the past 2 days and when I went in it today I still smelled the smell. I needed to drive to the doctor today so I did and it is driving fine and no dashboard lights are on however I still am smelling this smell. It isn't coming from the vents. It isn't super in your face strong but its there and it seems like it comes and goes but now the inside of the car still smells like it. It doesn't smell like plastic its hard to really describe what it smells like but it definitely smells bad and I know something is wrong. Unfortunately my husband can't smell it and its driving me nuts! He has bad allergies and is all clogged up and can't smell a **** thing. He used the engine code reader and there are no codes. Anyway I'm super concerned about it and am not going to drive it until I figure out where the smell is coming from but has anyone experienced anything like this before I call the shop and spend $$? Thank you.

Last edited by Danii; 04-30-2021 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-30-2021, 07:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Burning(ish) smell coming from inside cabin

Inspect engine compartment and undercarriage, particularly around the cats and exhaust pipe.

Old 11-08-2021, 12:34 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Burning(ish) smell coming from inside cabin

So my grandmother gave a bag of frozen fish to my mom and my mom forgot about it in the back seat and it sat there for 2 days and thawed. What should I do to get Kodi nox the smell out of the car?