Bluetooth without navi?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 09:03 PM
Peak Oil Advocate
Default Bluetooth without navi?

Greetings all, I just noticed on Toyota's Prius website that they mention the navigation option is required to utilize Bluetooth. Is this true? If so, why offer it at all(with #5 and #6). If it's not true, does anyone have a Blackberry that they recommend(with a navi package?)? Thanks a bunch.

Old 02-16-2006, 07:39 AM
My Wife's car but my toy!
Default Re: Bluetooth without navi?

I don't think you can get the bluetooth without the nav.

Old 02-16-2006, 10:48 AM
Happy Hybrid Owner

I can never remember which package I have, but I have Bluetooth, but not Navi. I have Smartkey, VSC, Bluetooth, Auto-dimming mirror w/Homelink, mega-airbags, 6-disc CD w/9 speakers. No leather or Navi. I haven't used the BT yet (need to wait a couple more months until I can upgrade my phone to BT), but it seems to be there and ready to go.

Old 02-16-2006, 11:07 AM
Enthusiast

I have a 2006 Prius, Package #6. It has bluetooth. It does not have navi.

Old 02-16-2006, 06:44 PM
Peak Oil Advocate

Thanks for the info sweetbeet and Emma. Can you tell me what the Blutooth enables you to do? For instance is it a voice activated deal or can you hear and speak via car speakers? Or, is that only available for the navigation package? I appreciate any knowledge you have on this matter.

Old 02-16-2006, 09:03 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JCFLETCH
Greetings all, I just noticed on Toyota's Prius website that they mention the navigation option is required to utilize Bluetooth. Is this true? If so, why offer it at all(with #5 and #6). If it's not true, does anyone have a Blackberry that they recommend(with a navi package?)? Thanks a bunch.
I have a 2006 Prius with package #6 which has bluetooth and no nav system.

I have a Sony Ericsson S710 phone and was able upload my entire phone book to the Prius, make and receive calls using the Prius speakers.

I leave the phone bluetooth enabled and it connects and disconnects automatically to the Prius as I enter and leave the car. I have not enabled the voice commands for the phone yet, but have it set to auto answer.

You can dial out using the Prius display screen by entering the phone number, or from the phone book. I'll play with the voice activation this weekend.

Old 02-19-2006, 05:31 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dafuser
I have a Sony Ericsson S710 phone and was able upload my entire phone book to the Prius, make and receive calls using the Prius speakers.

I leave the phone bluetooth enabled and it connects and disconnects automatically to the Prius as I enter and leave the car. I have not enabled the voice commands for the phone yet, but have it set to auto answer.

You can dial out using the Prius display screen by entering the phone number, or from the phone book. I'll play with the voice activation this weekend.
That is really a cool feature. I wish Honda had the smarts to include something like that for hands free operation (that and a power button instead of having to turn the key).

Old 02-25-2006, 07:24 AM
Enthusiast

I took delivery on a 2006 Prius package #5 a week ago. This package has no nav, but does have Bluetooth. I know it works because the salesman configured his phone as a demonstration while we were in the parking lot, called my phone to prove it worked, and by coincidence received an incoming call.

Now all I need is a Bluetooth phone!

Old 02-27-2006, 10:19 AM
Happy Hybrid Owner

Got my bluetooth phone yesterday (LG8100); boy is it cool! It took about 15 minutes to program my most-frequently-called numbers into the car (Verizon says its phones won't support phone book transfer to car systems; according to the salesman, this is because Verizon wants to get the money from doing the transfers itself, I don't really understand how that would work but I don't call very many people anyway so it wasn't an issue), including voice-recognition tags and setting up speed-dials.

Discovered this morning that you can't dial a number using the car screen while the car is moving (it is activated when you stop, even without putting it in Park; the buttons just light up when you stop, and you can dial; when you start moving again they go dim and don't work), but you can dial with speed dial or voice-recognition when the car is moving. You can even dial a number that hasn't been programmed in, because you can just speak the numbers (I looked that up in the Prius manual; haven't tried it yet).

One person I talk to regularly said I sound better using the car than with my phone or handsfree (wired) headset. OK, I'm now glad I got package #5!!!

Old 02-27-2006, 10:35 AM
Enthusiast

I ended up with the bluetooth by accident...it just came with the package. I didn't actually want it and have not used it. But then again, I'm one of those radicals who thinks it's a really bad idea to eat, talk on the phone, apply make-up, or thumb through CDs whilst driving.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth without navi?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands