Automatic Reset...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 09:43 AM
Enthusiast
Smile Automatic Reset...

"Quote from you .. Bwilson"

"My display does not work like yours and I've not seen in any of the forums I frequent a description of "why" the display has an automatic reset. Everyone with your model seems to share the same unhappiness with the "automatic reset."

My own display appears to have some problems that I'm slowly figuring out but "automatic resetting" is not one of them. I have found how to trick it into reporting all bars at 100 MPG. I've also noticed that when I run test loops at greater than 100 MPG, the bars do not follow the calculated number but are driven by some undocumented algorthm.

But let me ask what problems does the "automatic reset" cause? There may be workarounds and technical solutions that might resolve the problem(s).

Bob Wilson

-----

Hi Bob..

I would say this..

1). Topped up the gasoline full at least 5-6 time to verify gas consumption with various speed from initial speed to 80 MPH. I found that.. with full tank of gasoline, I could drive at least 730+ miles or more. This causes automatic reset on the display too..

2). When we drive from Florida to GA, TN, back and forth over 3,500 miles. That day the traffic on I75 was bad.. we rolled with them, dragged with them.. that was why we got over 63.3 MPG ---> BUT remember that the highest MPH on that trip was also 80 MPH .. This gave us ranged from 5+ - 80 MPH.. This is not true MPG.

I am trying to explain how I look at it, okay ?

Samples of MPH on various spped and driving patterns are not also true --> random sampling..

This mean that..
THis is just data estimation..
Speed/MPH, duration, and gas consumption ???

- 80-75 MPH/10 mins/12-99 MPG ( if pulse/glide/drag with uphill & downhill)
- 74-60 MPH/20 mins/20-99 MPH ( same as above)
- 59-55 MPH 30 mins/27-99 MPH
- 54-50 MPH/35 mins/34-99 MPH
- 49-45
- 44-40
- 39-35
- 34-25
- 24 - below MPH/50 mins/ 80-99 MPH (draggggggg...)

You can rearrange this data .. BUT I want to show that driving styles, patterns and traffic situation are all related to each other..

On each phase, you may see that driving time/duration on each phase is also different ...

I would say this..

On each phase.. it does not produce true mileages/MPG at all.. from the highest MPH & low MPG = short duration, on the other hand, low MPH & high MPG could produce in dropping MPG to obtain true MPG and/or it search / back to somewhat permanent MPG which Toyota has estimated as 51-60 MPG in city and highway.

Toyota 51-60 MPG as advertised is the estimated value by using normal curve -- to make it simple.. you may think about T-score (1-100).

That's why including me.. I can make MPG that high 63.3 or more and speed up to 80 MPH for a short period of time.. This is still not true/permanent MPG.

I presume that "automatice reset".. the computer has adjusted itself back to true MPG after back to normal driving patterns.

There are also more "confouding factors" that we needs to consider ... etc such as..

-temperature ..hot/cold climates condition, using heater,
-uphill driving for a person who get used to drving regular car.. just step on the gas only and not touch n glide, vacuum effects.

When considered about true/permanent MPG = PERFORMANCE, we need consistency, relability, duration and so on.

You know more than me in mechanical aspects.. what I look at it only statistical aspects...not focus in depth yet.. I need people who know mechanic and combine together with statistics...

What you think ?

Old 01-12-2007, 09:54 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Automatic Reset...

Hi.. Bob

From my point of view..

IF it's correct, Toyota in 2008 could has automatic reset as option to find true MPG as well. Toyota could come up with higher MPG for fact, I do believe that ...

In term of human PERFORMANCE, to built up strengh, speed, power etc (exercise physioloy), we have to be able to built up ourselves: Power --> sprinters, Endurance --> as long distance runners

Old 01-12-2007, 11:23 AM
Engineering first
Wink Re: Automatic Reset...

Hi,

Originally Posted by Zippie_Kandie
. . .
From my point of view..

IF it's correct, Toyota in 2008 could has automatic reset as option to find true MPG as well. Toyota could come up with higher MPG for fact, I do believe that ...

In term of human PERFORMANCE, to built up strengh, speed, power etc (exercise physioloy), we have to be able to built up ourselves: Power --> sprinters, Endurance --> as long distance runners
My understanding is refilling the tank causes the mileage reset to occur in your model. I remember seeing one post that it may be possible to 'trick' the reset logic by putting in less than 2 gallons of gas at a time (I'd have to go back and check that.) It might be easier to just use gas receipts and mileage to track total mileage.

I think you've got a basic understanding of what needs to be done to track MPG as a function of driving conditions. This is something I've been doing since I first got my 03 Prius and now with better instrumentation, I've been able to work up what appears to be a good performance model. One of the predictions is we can get better than 100 MPG by driving at a steady, 15 mph on a flat track on a standard day. But there is more.

The model also predicts maximum performance if we can keep the engine rpm below 2,400 rpm. Today I used that approach on a 70 mile, two 35 mile segments and the results seem to confirm this assumption. This means floating the speed, limiting the rpm, can get you from point A to point B with nearly a guaranteed +50 MPG and improve block time. From an operator standpoint, it sure is a lot easier than other driving techniques.

Remember, I'm driving an NHW11, 03 Prius, which predates your NHW20 Prius. But I suspect your vehicle will get even better mileage if you can adopt this approach.

Bob Wilson

Old 01-13-2007, 11:21 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Automatic Reset...

Hi Bob..

Yep, my model 06 may have such option "automatic reset"when topped up gas or filled up the tank.

As your comment, if driving in steady paces, this would produce positive MPG as we expect. if MPH range from 35 to 75 on steady pace, you will get 75 + 35 / 2 --> average --> approximately 55 or somewhere between 50 + because of initial speed from starting to get 35 MPH, stop and go again. This could reduce MPG..too

The same idea, when travelled long distance like that, you may get as I described because at each speed ranged from 55-75 you may remain steady at

If you keep to maintain at the speed -->
55 MPH for 20 mins,
75 MPH

You can see variations of speed (MPH) against MPG IF you keep steady pace at all time.

----

As your advice, that is also what I am getting into it rpm below 3,000 all the time, this also helps MPG.

My husband hates heavy traffic in Atlanta area, he can't maintain rpm below 2,400 or 3,000, he got really mad because of tailgating, and pushing around, that is our problems. He knows about rpm very well but he can't help when people act like taking drug and drive on the road, slide to the right, left and cut you off...

Last edited by Zippie_Kandie; 01-13-2007 at 11:30 AM. Reason: added content