Aftermarket Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 12:30 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Aftermarket Stereo

Can anyone tell me if my stereo store is telling me the truth?. I have an aftermarket kenwood tuner/cd/sirius ready stereo that i would like to put into my 05 Prius package 4. I was told it couldnt be done because of the display and everything running through the radio, then i was told it could be done with various kits, and little Tuner boxes( ? ) i dont want to mess up the warrantee or screw up the natural functions of the display unit on the dash. can anyone enlighten me ?? thanks in advance...

Old 08-06-2005, 12:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Aftermarket Stereo

There is a $300 adaptor thing that will let you input audio and video to the Prius sound system and screen, that's one option.

The other option is to get the standard Toyota audio harness adaptor and wire it up to your stereo, this will bypass the Prius stereo, but leave the MFD intact and functional, although unable to play the beep sound when you touch the screen (most people don't mind). You won't see the names of the tracks on the screen or anything like that, but you'll be using your aftermarket anyways.

If you have the JBL stereo (amp under the passenger seat) then it might be a little more complex because the speakers connect there instead of at the headunit. Just running some wires from the headunit to the speaker wires under the seat should pretty easy, but isn't quite as simple.

Old 08-09-2005, 11:47 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

What is your definition of natural function of the display unit? If you mean energy and consumption displays, along with A/C control everything should work. If done properly you can graft in an aftermarket radio into the 1 din slot below the factory stereo. The problem is that the audio control buttons on the steering wheel will no longer work for you, and the audio button on the MFD will no longer serve its purpose. Plus, for aesthetics, you are going to have to leave the factory stereo in place. I don't believe there is a replacement bezel out there yet.

You say that you have a Sirius ready Kenwood tuner. Does that mean that the Kenwood has the hardware for Sirius reception already in it or does that mean that you can purchase from Kenwood additional hardware which will make it a Sirius tuner? If the latter; from my perspective, you would be better off leaving the existing head unit alone and getting a Sirius tuner unit, either an external unit, or the new internal unit which Toyota is offering and have that grafted onto your factory radio. That way you keep all of the remote functionality, screen functionality. If you get the Sirius add-on from Toyota then your MFD will show all the relevant track and channel data you get from Sirius.

In short grafting an aftermarket radio onto the Prius is not an ideal situation. It isn't something that I would choose to do.

Old 08-09-2005, 04:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thank you for your input. The radio is sirius ready all that is needed is an external antenna. An electronic store near me "ABT Electronics" in Glenview Ill. said that a new face plate just came out and that they can hook up the kenwood so that i do not lose any functions, ie: steering wheel controls etc.. Right now i have a Blaupunkt external sirius tuner that works through the stock head unit im going to start with that. thanks