advice wanted by a keen tobe prius owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 08:17 AM
Engineering first
Wink Re: advice wanted by a keen tobe prius owner

Originally Posted by ginw
To all those who gave me advice yesterday- I am now the proud owner of a Toyota Prius S 2000 - which is a NWH11 model (thanks Bob, I could check that) - for the last 90 minutes.
My confusion with the generations is that we deal with them differently here- the first was the trial period in Japan 96-98, the second was 98-2000, and the third 2000-2003, and then we get into NZ news- and of course they are the hatchback etc from 2004 on. Toyota do not recommend NZers purchasing anything below the generation 111 model, that is below 2000.
I love it , I am hooked, but sadly I guess I shall mainly be driving my old petrol guzzling Isuzu to and from town ( only 5 km) as Im always picking something up.I also fear that I might be driving more than I need to in the next month or two.
By the way, in NZ our petrol is now $1.70NZ heading to $2 by xmas??
Oh, and by the way, of course all the monitors are in Japanese. On our NZ internet buy-sell website, someone has a monitor in English for a second generation which they say can be just plugged in- selling price at the mo is $100. However I have bought through Toyota with a big warranty so I really cant fiddle with the technology unless someone tells me it DEAD easy!!!
Excellent!

We have a nice Prius forum and thanks to our moderators, we've stuck a newbie "FAQ" there. I would be interested in your 'lessons learned' for updates (actually, anyone's inputs.)

I think the only place where you'll have a language problem is trying to figure out the radio controls. I sure could use some help from anyone who has figured the audio controls from both the NHW11 and NHW20 models. With XM, I don't even bother with the regular AM/FM tuner operaton of the NHW11 and obviously don't have an NHW20 unit to practice with.

One last question, what sort of warrantee did you get? Duration, km e.t.c.?

GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson

Old 06-27-2006, 03:25 AM
ginw
Default Re: advice wanted by a keen tobe prius owner

To Bob Wilson, my sincere apologies for not sending you a reply to your final question re what type of warranty I got with my imported Prius .( speaking from NZ again)
I bought through Toyota (of course!) and it is a Signature range vehicle, which means Toyota stands behind it for 2 years. At the time I purchased, as a Promotion they extended this full mechanical warranty period for 4 years, and AA roadside assistance for the same period.
You were correct about not finding much difficulty with the japanese, and the Toyota people adjusted the radio programmes prior to me picking it up, so I have no difficulty with the sound system (which is fantastic) but i do find it a little frustrating that the manual relates to the 2004 model.
Can you tell me , does the emergency flasher switch light up on the dashboard normally when you have lights on? .

Old 06-27-2006, 06:06 AM
Engineering first
Default Re: advice wanted by a keen tobe prius owner

Originally Posted by ginw
. . .
I bought through Toyota (of course!) and it is a Signature range vehicle, which means Toyota stands behind it for 2 years. At the time I purchased, as a Promotion they extended this full mechanical warranty period for 4 years, and AA roadside assistance for the same period.
You were correct about not finding much difficulty with the japanese, and the Toyota people adjusted the radio programmes prior to me picking it up, so I have no difficulty with the sound system (which is fantastic) but i do find it a little frustrating that the manual relates to the 2004 model.
Can you tell me , does the emergency flasher switch light up on the dashboard normally when you have lights on? .
Sounds like a nice deal. As for the flasher switch light, it is lit at night but there an intensity control on the lower left hand side that you can use to 'turn down' the intensity.

Bob Wilson