Accelerator pedal renovation for 2001-2003 Prius

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 01:34 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Accelerator pedal renovation for 2001-2003 Prius

Some of these accelerator pedals have needed replacing, and I have been teaching myself how to renovate them. I posted an informational description in files section the Yahoo group called toyota-prius-sat2. Please take a look if you are interested in this topic, and email me with any comments.

The document is currently microsoft word and 4350 KB. I will explore how to shrink it (pdf or something) and if there is interest I would be glad to place a smaller version here.

This part is more appropriate for "private sales" but I am going to sneak it in here. If anyone is having problems with their NHW11 accelerator pedal, please email me to discuss terms under which I can provide you with a rebuilt one. Reading the document above will tell you exactly what happens at this end.

DAS

Old 05-20-2006, 08:17 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Accelerator pedal renovation for 2001-2003 Prius

I am sure that most of you are entirely fed up with this topic, but may I make two points:

First, it has been speculated that the accel pedals that have failed may be from a "bad batch", and that Toyota has corrected its manufacturing along the way.

For that reason, I make the following request to all who have had to replace their pedals, or who are "making do" with mild cases of the big hand syndrome: Would you please open your driver's door and read the identifying decal located near the rear striker latch. On the first line it includes the month of manufacture; mine for example is 07/01. Please inform me of your number. A private email would be fine.

It might also be useful to know your entire VIN number, but I understand that some folks are not inclined to divulge that, so consider that part optional. Thanks to all in advance. If I learn something definitive from this, it will be shared.

Second, I have found a company called "Caig" which makes several products potentially useful for the renovation work. Those interested in contact cleaning, restoration, and potentiometer lubes may also wish to take a peek at:

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.ACCT113328/sc.1/.f

Future renovated accel pedals will all be "Caiged" in some way, yet to be determined. Finally, to cast the net as widely as possible to capture manufacturing dates for Prius with failed accel pedals, there will be some cross-posting of this message. Apologizing in advance,

DAS

Old 05-22-2006, 03:10 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

We haven't had any problems (that I'm aware of) with our pedal, but the manufacture date is 03/01 so we may be up for some potential future issues... There's only 80,000 km on it so far.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:25 AM
Enthusiast

I've had 2 incidents recently with my '01 Prius and the accelerator, but have not found the same problem described here. I don't have the uncontrolled acceleration, rather the opposite. Both times happened after an hour or two of interstate driving. After getting off the interstate and driving around 30 mph for a while, the warning lights come on and the car stops responding to the gas pedal - that is, you can have it floored, and it'll go about 20 mph or less. It'll jerk forward (speed up quickly) a little, but not to any fast speeds. Both times, this has lasted until we turned the car off for half an hour or so, then it's fine. A day later, the warning lights go off. Any help? The local dealer just told me it'd cost $128 just to run the computer diagnostics and he wouldn't bother until it happens more often. At that point, I figured he was not the guy to go to for advice.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:01 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by barbara
I've had 2 incidents recently with my '01 Prius and the accelerator, but have not found the same problem described here. I don't have the uncontrolled acceleration, rather the opposite. Both times happened after an hour or two of interstate driving. After getting off the interstate and driving around 30 miles per hour for a while, the warning lights come on and the car stops responding to the gas pedal - that is, you can have it floored, and it'll go about 20 miles per hour or less. It'll jerk forward (speed up quickly) a little, but not to any fast speeds. Both times, this has lasted until we turned the car off for half an hour or so, then it's fine. A day later, the warning lights go off. Any help?
These symptoms are consistent with the "big hand" problem when the accelerator pedal potentiometers disagree and the control computer goes into a "limp home mode."

Originally Posted by barbara
The local dealer just told me it'd cost $128 just to run the computer diagnostics and he wouldn't bother until it happens more often. At that point, I figured he was not the guy to go to for advice.
Getting a good diagnosis is the first step and I agree, $128 is too much. You might call some of the auto parts stores to see if any of them offer a free or 'reasonable' diagnostic code reading. I think AutoZone has this service but call first. Phone calls are fairly affordable and they might do it for free.

If you don't have any luck, send me a PM and we can work out a deal. I have a scanner but I'll need a significant deposit to cover its use. I'll refund the deposit as soon as the unit is returned. Alternatively, if you'll identify your city and state, we may be able to find someone with a scanner nearby who might come over and read out the codes. We just need to know city and state. I would insist on a $250 deposit and refund $225 minus shipping when the unit returns.

A second approach is I handle Doug's accelerator pedal refurbishment business. For a fee that is partially refundable upon return of the failed accelerator, I send you one that is known good (the one in my car) and either you or a local mechanic swaps it in. When your old accelerator returns, I refund the 'core charge.' However, without the codes, we won't know if this was (is) your problem. This will cost about $200 with a $50 refund for the old accelerator plus shipping and labor, either yourself or a mechanic.

A third approach is we point you to Doug's refurbishment instructions. You or a mechanic take out the accelerator, take it apart, clean the contacts, epoxy it together again, and install it back in the car. This takes time but could be done over a long weekend for very little money BUT the car is unusable until the repaired accelerator pedal is installed. This is likely to cost about $30 in parts plus about 4-6 hours of labor.

A fourth approach is to order an accelerator pedal from the Toyota parts department. When it arrives, let them or another mechanic or yourself install it in the car. This is likely to cost $500 plus labor.