About to buy a Prius, any advice???

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 05:35 PM
Enthusiast
Default About to buy a Prius, any advice???

I'm about to order an 08 Prius. Since all dealers here in Chicagoland are asking sticker price, is there anything else I can get them to "throw in".
Has anyone had any luck at this? I've bought many cars in my lifetime and have always been able to get a very good deal or get things thrown in, but now that I am stuck paying sticker, do I have any options???

Old 07-17-2007, 09:47 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: About to buy a Prius, any advice???

Shop around some more. I was able to get $1000 off MSRP before the full tax credit reduced and this was in over priced California. Never pay MSRP as it is an over priced inflated number. You don't have to buy the vehicle in your state. I am sure better deals can be found.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:02 PM
Engineering first

Use Ebay and see what is available from the free market. Work with your bank to get any financing work out ahead of time and then check what is available each morning. When you find a deal you like, visit your local dealer and ask if they can match it. If not, buy from the internet dealer and have a happy. Heck, ask the local dealer sales manager if they'd like to watch as you close the deal.

To buy a car via Ebay, you'll need to have a credit card validated to make sure you can put down the typical $1,000 deposit. This typically takes about a day and doesn't force any deal. It just gives you the flexibility to put in the down payment.

Also, ask the seller to make sure you can get a temporary tag to drive the car back. I had a Florida deal fall through because the dealer claimed an out of state buyer could not get a temporary tag for a used car. He claimed I'd have to ship the car to Alabama.

Bob Wilson

Old 07-18-2007, 08:33 AM
Hybrid Newbie

2007 only half way through, 2007 model hasn't even gotten to clearance phase, just out of curiosity, why are you trying to buy the 2008 Prius ? It's not that they are going to have a total re-design. Furthermore, if you are counting on Tax Credit, which you don't sound like, you do know Toyota tax credit will completely phase out in about 2 months.

For new car shopping, if you only walk in and ask your local dealership, you are not going to get any good deal unless something happened.
You have to shop around.

The definition of Shopping around for "New Car", means, you have to utilize all on-line web services available.

CarsDirect.com, AutoByWeb.com, AutoByTel.com, Cars.com, Yahoo Auto, AOL Auto. Just name a few.
Ask for quotes through those web sites and not just from your local dealerships, but the dealerships around your respective State.

If you have Sams or Costco memberships, they also have New Car purchase services, you can also get automatically discount, but you have to submit quote request.

You also keep your eyes on newspapers ads, listen to your local radio stations for any promotion ads. Check Toyota.com and see if they have any promotion APR running.

I bought both my cars via the Internet, I didn't provide any credit card for deposit, I got the "Purchase Order" / Quote either Fax or E-mail to me, then I walked in to buy them.
On top of that, it took me 8 days to find the best price for Accord, 6 days to finalize the best price for Prius.

My Accord was $3000 less than everyone else paying for the same model.
My Prius was $4100 less than MSRP.

For financing, go get the pre-approval from your local credit union or e-loan, if you have decided to buy it.

You can get a good deal, you just have to do your homework.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:04 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

MSRP... come on... Just offer what you want to pay and walk if they don't agree.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:15 AM
Enthusiast

I have been told that all of the 2007s for this year are already spoken for. Around here there is no stock at all. Dealers are getting full sticker for the cars.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:57 AM
Hybrid Newbie

While we try to get the best deal we can get, we have to understand the sales reps and dealerships also need make a living.

The general rule is to try to get to the Invoice Price as close as possible.

If all the 07 upcoming Prius have been booked around your neighborhood, and it doesn't sound like you are in a hurry to get one any time soon. Then just wait until the Invoice Price for 2008 Prius is available.

If you can't wait, then pick other hybrid such as Civic Hybrid or Camry Hybrid and go from there.

Or, you can consider to go out of town to get one if Prius is what heart desired.

Buyers usually under-estimate their power over dealerships. If you can round up enough fellow buyers for the same quest, you can get dealerships to get the car and delivered to your door with carrier. My co-worker next buildings got 2 of his friends that's interested in the cars from Toyota, the dealership 300+ miles away, used the carrier and delivered their cars to the parking lot and finished the deal at Starbucks. Oh yeah, they took the trade in as well.

It's a matter of how far you are willing to go to get your wish fulfilled.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:40 AM
Enthusiast

I agree with you all. I have purchased cars for many years and have always got the cars as close to invoice as possible. Here I don't think that is an option. With the gas prices going up again the demand for Prius is huge. Dealers here don't care if you want one or not because they have NO problem selling them. I've checked all over Chicagoland and all dealers get sticker. It burns me up to no end but I belive that I am stuck with that.
I do need to make a purchase this year however. My company is giving me a $3K incentive to purchase a hybrid. thanks to all.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:45 AM
Engineering first

I forgot to mention:

1) End of month - this is when payroll and accounting pressures build up. Try to time your negotiations so any final deal is in the last week when they have the maximum pressure to meet 'quota.'

2) Model turn-over - it is amazing when the 2008s show up how many left over 2007s spring up but usually in obscure, frequently rural areas.

3) Patience - before buying, you have time to shop and let them learn who you are. Do the friendly 'personal' touch, frequent face-to-face and light-hearted, jocular relationship. Always realize they "aren't your friend" but that doesn't mean you can't be friendly and be someone whose face they enjoy seeing. It might just lead to a better deal.

4) Flexible - know the fair market value of everything and don't be in a rush. In life, you get two of the following three: (1) good, (2) fast, or (3) cheap. To get 'good' and 'cheap', you give up 'fast.'

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 07-18-2007 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:23 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by al3160
I agree with you all. I have purchased cars for many years and have always got the cars as close to invoice as possible. Here I don't think that is an option. With the gas prices going up again the demand for Prius is huge. Dealers here don't care if you want one or not because they have NO problem selling them. I've checked all over Chicagoland and all dealers get sticker. It burns me up to no end but I belive that I am stuck with that.
I do need to make a purchase this year however. My company is giving me a $3K incentive to purchase a hybrid. thanks to all.
I bought my HCH when it first came (2002) out along with all the hype, dealers were charging above MSRP. But I still manage to get way below MSRP because I didn't care if I got the car or not. I was willing to walk, and dealership don't want you to walk.

Quick Reply: About to buy a Prius, any advice???

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands