$61 Oil Change - I can't win!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 03:31 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default $61 Oil Change - I can't win!

I didn't go to the dealer this time and went to a place my friend says is always cheap (EZ Lube). And the cost for Synthetic 5W30... $61! That's still way too high right? I can't win around here. Might have to cave and start changing it myself in the complex garage or something.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:53 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: $61 Oil Change - I can't win!

Originally Posted by SoopahMan
I didn't go to the dealer this time and went to a place my friend says is always cheap (EZ Lube). And the cost for Synthetic 5W30... $61! That's still way too high right? I can't win around here. Might have to cave and start changing it myself in the complex garage or something.
GOOD GRIEF!!!

Send me a PM with an address and I'll send you a spare Fumoto valve for your ICE pan. This won't help on changing the oil filter but it will make draining a lot less of a hassle. You'll also be able to draw an oil sample for testing in the future and drain directly in a container, no pan needed.

Bob Wilson

Old 03-15-2007, 04:25 PM

Awesome, thanks for the offer. I'm not sure I'm going to cave and do it myself yet because the space is gonna be tough to round up where I live, but if I can't call around and find something REASONABLE for next time... it's my only option.

Old 03-15-2007, 04:33 PM
Engineering first

Awesome, thanks for the offer. I'm not sure I'm going to cave and do it myself yet because the space is gonna be tough to round up where I live, but if I can't call around and find something REASONABLE for next time... it's my only option.
When I was in the Marines, I would find a fairly 'clean' gutter and drive my 1966 VW minivan up a curb. I'd set the brakes, leave it in gear and toss a flattened cardboard box under the car. Wearing 'grodies', I go under the car, do my business and slide out. Then I'd back off the curb, toss the cardboard in a dumpster near the oil recycling place. I've done a lot of 'valve backlash' adjustments that way.

How do you tell when a VW 1500 cc engine needs a valve adjustment?
A. Trick question, they always need a valve adjustment.

Bob Wilson

Old 03-15-2007, 04:47 PM

And the cost for Synthetic 5W30... $61!
What do you expect for having someone else do something you can easily do yourself for much less?

Rhino ramps cost around $30. You don't need much room to change your own oil. It's easy and doesn't take more than 15 minutes. The oil filter is very easy to get to. You can always find synthetic oil on sale someplace, usually Wal-Mart.

I can understand not doing your own oil change if it was had in this vehicle, but it isn't. You have two choices, either pay the price for someone else to do the work (and possibly mess it up), or save some money and do it yourself (maybe even get to know your vehicle in the process).

The only way to know for sure your oil was changed and done correctly is by doing it yourself. Should I tell you some experiences where quick change oil places and dealerships screwed up?

One more thing, no matter what anybody says don't change the oil early. Doing so is just a waste of good oil and money, you won't extend the engine life any earlier. Follow the owners manual for the proper schedule.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:02 PM

"How do you tell when a VW 1500 cc engine needs a valve adjustment?"

Plumbers teflon tape under the backing nut, to delay the inevitable.

DAS

Old 03-16-2007, 09:43 AM

I pay $29.99 an oil change for my 2005 Prius at the dealership. Because I bought it there though the oil change is deducted from any service amount at checkout time. I knew it was a good deal but did not know how good until now. I will be going in for my 45k checkup this month.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by abowles
Because I bought it there though the oil change is deducted from any service amount at checkout time. I knew it was a good deal but did not know how good until now.
But you have no idea if they did it right or if they even changed the oil.

I had an incident once with a new car where a dealership service tech forgot to tighten the oil filter. Had I not caught it the next day and noticed I was leaking oil, I could have blown my engine. They were very sorry about it and gave me a free oil change. I was like.....I don't think so, I'll do it myself.

Last edited by Resist; 03-16-2007 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:30 AM

I don't blame you Resist. I have always done all oil changes myself until this car (about 20 cars the last 35 years). I have decided that, for myself, it is worth the risk of a mistake on the dealership's part to have the fully documented service history at time of resale (when the Prius III is available). But, like I said, I get your take on it too.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by abowles
I have decided that, for myself, it is worth the risk of a mistake on the dealership's part to have the fully documented service history at time of resale (when the Prius III is available).
I understand your concern about wanting a documented record. But there really is no concern about that if you keep your own records of changing the oil yourself.

We had a Toyota RAV4 once where Toyota replaced the short block under warranty due to oil starvation. Sure the dealership tried to say it was our fault because I changed the oil myself from day one, but I kept a record. And get this....the record consisted of a paper with the dates and mileages....no oil or filter receipts were included. Toyota fully honored it. Receipts wouldn't prove I bought the oil or even put it in the vehicle anyway. I believe Toyota understands this. Besides an oil analysis could have proved how dirty the oil was for a case against a customer for not changing the oil which caused damage.

The auto industry makes money on parts and service, not vehicle sales. There is not much service a customer can do on their own car anymore, to keep ownership costs down. Oil changes are about it. As long as I am physically able, I will continue to do my own oil changes. I figure sooner or later the industry will take that away from us by designing the filter locations in areas a customer can't get to without special tools. Or they will simply say warranty coverage is only good with a dealership service.

You would think routine service would be included in what we pay for new vehicles, as expensive as they are.

Last edited by Resist; 03-16-2007 at 11:59 AM.

Quick Reply: $61 Oil Change - I can't win!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands