Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 05:35 PM
Engineering first
Talking Re: 37 mpg and not happy, but I DO have a question

Originally Posted by Alansanmateo
I did not see it in the Prius FAQ

is it in a different FAQ?

am sure it is fine

it's also OK with me if you "publish" your thoughts re my mpg compaint and trip planning

of course, don't forget that almost nobody knows how to read a topo map, so......
Hummm, you may need to refresh the cache. What I wrote:

Originally Posted by FAQ
To minimize the risk of someone reading it out of the navigation computer, set your "Home" and "Work" way-points to public landmark near but not on either the real "Home" or "Work." The real addresses should come from you, not the navigation computer (from Alansanmateo.)

Bob Wilson

Old 07-25-2007, 06:23 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 37 mpg and not happy, but I DO have a question

By fantastic mileages, what do you mean? Can you provide some examples of our route mileage for a few days so we can analyze?

Is anyone else driving the car short distances [grocery store, 7/11 etc?]

Old 07-25-2007, 07:39 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tekn0wledg
By fantastic mileages, what do you mean? Can you provide some examples of our route mileage for a few days so we can analyze?
I guess I have to pick my words more carefully. Fantastic mileage to me means much more than 50mpg, more like 60 plus.

My route mileages have been up to 88mpg for a 7 mile leg (which is not down hill).

Old 07-26-2007, 08:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Resist
I guess I have to pick my words more carefully. Fantastic mileage to me means much more than 50mpg, more like 60 plus.

My route mileages have been up to 88mpg for a 7 mile leg (which is not down hill).
That is number I would expect to see, which is good. However, it's perplexing why your overall FE is much lower.

What part of the country do you live in? I might have missed that in a previous post, but if you are located near one of the other members on here, maybe someone can get together with you and see if we can shed some more light into the problem.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:35 AM
HypoFueler

I also am not happy with my 2007 Prius. I am only getting tank averages of around 39mpg. Who says mileage will improve at 10k miles? That seems insane that we have to wait that long just to get the rated mileage. Don't think I will buy another Toyota again. I should have kept my Honda Insight.
I think you got a lemon - at least FE wise.

What were FE you typically getting in your Insight?

Old 07-26-2007, 09:18 AM
Banned
Default My 1st Extended Prius Driving Experience

I am not driving my Prius heavy footed. I've never been more fuel careful with any other vehicle...
Now with sufficient experience, I'd say it's best to have a lighter foot on the Prius than even the Insight. Made two sub-5-mile trips on a Prius, then while carpooling with Dan drove about 1200 miles on the interstate to HybridFest 2007. The cruise speed was 60mph.

I found myself creeping above my target speed of 60mph, then letting up, getting the electric motor to cut in (this is too fast for warp stealth, I believe). Sometimes I could slightly press the accelerator and get a glide. I was used to seeing the Current MPG go from 50 to 99mpg in this exercise. While I've done the same thing on the Insight, the adjustments are more sensitive. Still need to read up more on how the Prius acts above 40, below 50, during varing state of charges.

This is my results driving within a half-mile of Wayne's house....

FYI - the speedometer is reading 75kph - not 75mph.

Unfortunately, Dan's Prius revolted and got out of EV mode a block from Wayne's house. In my inexperience, I did not find the EV switch he installed before the trip mpg declined to 59.9 but I'm still happy with it.

On the way back to Texas, Dan and I got around 54mpg - pretty good considering the fatigue, hills and going slightly faster.

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 07-26-2007 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

I found it. Sorry. Looks good, though not sure it belongs under the "Handling" heading.

I'll review the entire FAQ and send you some edits, maybe over the weekend.

You can do with them what you like. No worries.

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Hummm, you may need to refresh the cache. What I wrote:

Bob Wilson
[/size][/font]

Old 07-26-2007, 10:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spartybrutus
I think you got a lemon - at least FE wise.
Is there any good information about Lemon Laws and the Prius MPG? I do have to wonder if my dealer sold me a car that had been "rejected" at another dealer based on low mpg during test drives.

The dealer has been ducking my calls, when I try to set up service (i.e., not returning e-mail OR phone calls, which is rather odd, I'd say)

Old 07-26-2007, 10:56 AM

Just a quick note. I have tried to increase my mpg and have badgered Bob with questions . My trip to work is 4.6 miles. I travel this morning, lunch and evening. My best mpg morning has been 44.9 mpg. I probably don't have 100 yards of flat driving. Mostly 200 yards up and 200 down with one stretch of 1/2 mile down then up. My best mpg on any trip home is 50.5. (so this note isn't so quick) The weather here in NC has dropped from 90 to 82. I decided to not run my air conditioner. So with windows down, even having to back out of my parking space because some "person" parked in a no parking spot keeping me from driving out straight. Bottom line 69.9 mpg going home, 49.6 mpg returning to work. So I'm a little sweaty, but happy!!!

Old 07-26-2007, 12:40 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My CVT Insight was getting around 50mpg for the same type of driving. We have 2 Prius vehicles and both are getting between 39 and 40mpg averages, so do we have 2 lemons?

Quick Reply: 37 mpg and not happy, but I DO have a question

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands