180 PMPG trip

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 10:08 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default 180 PMPG trip

This past weekend we took a trip from the Gulf Coast to the Texas Hill Country and back.
Four people in a 2005 Prius II.
It was nice to see how much we could fit into the roomy back area:
Four full size backpacks with camping gear for 4 adults, plus one mid-size backpack with climbing gear, separate rope bag, plus two day packs, plus water, food, and assorted goodies, all this in the back with the seat area left for the four adults only.
Round trip was 700 miles. From sea level we went up to the hill country with the ambient air maxing out at a whopping 99 degrees F near San Antonio, so between elevation change, AC and high speeds on I-10 (around 75 mph), we only averaged 42.5 mpg. The way back was better: temps were lower (but AC was still on), we took Hwy 290, speeds averaging 70-72 mph, and went back down to sea level, and we averaged 48 mpg. Overall mpg average was 45.
So, the per passenger efficiency was 180 pmpg (passenger miles per gallon).
180 PMPG!
And in great comfort, with all the camping gear for the weekend for 4!
So, when people tell you that they drive their Suburban or Tahoe guzzlers so they can go camping with their family over the weekend, and when doing that they get at least the mileage of the Prius (15 mpg x 4 passengers = 60 pmpg), I will answer them that I can go camping with 3 other adults in great comfort, and will get 180 pmgp instead!
'twas a fun weekend!
Cheers,
M