Toyota Motor Corporation Lexus and Toyota Hybrids

Toyota 1.8 CHR Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2021, 04:40 AM
Enthusiast
Cool Toyota 1.8 CHR Hybrid

Just bought a brand new CHR 1.8 hybrid. Went to pull away from being parked up and tried the EV button and it said ‘not enough charge’. WTH… I’ve driven 100kms around town and that’s it, since collection from the dealer 2 days ago. How can there not be enough charge ? As I say it’s brand new, that 100kms is the only mileage on the car, and my driving since collection has been short, urban driving routes to/from work with stop/starting etc at lights etc.

Thoughts ?

Old 11-09-2021, 07:38 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Toyota 1.8 CHR Hybrid

Any of the ECO, EV or Power buttons available on Toyota hybrids serve to reduce the battery life. Period. No exceptions. They are available strictly for consumer appeal.

Consider that the Nickel battery has very nearly the same usable capacity as the 12V total capacity. Yes. It's somewhat like you're trying to drive the car around in electric mode solely on the 12V battery energy. In EV mode, it has about a 2km range at 40-50kph on perfectly flat ground.

The Lithium holds more, but not enough to matter.

Since you never plug your car into the grid (you can't), any energy you use in EV mode ultimately comes from burning gas.

Recommend you never touch any of those buttons, simply drive conservatively and enjoy the best l/100km the car can deliver.