VAIS SoundLinQ (Model SLI)

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 03:41 PM
Enthusiast
Question VAIS SoundLinQ (Model SLI)

Has anyone actually installed this unit yet? I contacted VAIS and one of the local Toyota dealers is a rep. They can install it for about $100 (worth it in my opinion based on what I've read here). I would like to hear how it integrates with the JBL and Nav system from an actual user.

Thanks

Old 01-01-2007, 06:32 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: VAIS SoundLinQ (Model SLI)

I just installed the VAIS SoundLinQ in my 06 HiHy last week and love it. Install can easily be done if you know how to remove the center console panel around the NAV screen took all of 15 minutes or so. Completely plug and play and required no wire splicing.

SoundLinQ emulates a CD changer and on my vehicle shows up as CD2 (the 6 disc JBL shows up as CD1). The NAV screen audio display shows the track information for the song. Requires the use of playlists and each of your playlists will show up as a disc.

So far I have had no problems with it controlling my 5th gen video iPod.

Hope that helps.
-Kevin

Old 01-04-2007, 11:52 AM
Enthusiast
Cool Re: VAIS SoundLinQ (Model SLI)

Thanks for the info. Did you only remove the trim around the NAV system? Where is your connector for the ipod? Any pictures you have would be great.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:30 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: VAIS SoundLinQ (Model SLI)

I have the iPod, connector and SoundLinQ unit all in the glove box. VAIS recommends that you keep the unit somewhere that you can easily get to in the event that you need to reset the unit or get it serviced.

The trim can be removed by carefully prying it away from the console. There are six (?) tension clips that hold it in place. Once the trim is off, there are four bolts that hold the nav/radio unit to the chassis. Take those off and carefully pull the unit out. Disconnect the CD changer harness and connect it to the VAIS harness and plug the VAIS harness into the back of the nav/radio where the changer harness was plugged into. Since each harness has a different shaped plug, this isn't hard to figure out. I then fished the VAIS harness through a cavity in the chassis into the glove box. Reassemble the nav unit to the chassis and snap the trim back into place.

Unfortunately I didn't take pictures during the install.