Tire Pressure Guages...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 07:46 AM
Enthusiast
Default Tire Pressure Guages...

I have a "mechanical needle & dial" gauge that shows the tire pressure in psi - but when checking what it reads against the Highlander Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) -- I have found that they do NOT provide the same reading.

So, here is a question for those of you that are "detail oriented" about keeping your tire pressures the same in all 4 (+ spare) tires:

What type (model and name) of Tire Pressure Gauge do you own (or suggest)?
1. Mechanical:
a. Needle & Dial - no tubing (this is what I have)
b. Needle & Dial - length of tubing attached
c. Plunger

2. Digital:
a. Round Face with a length of tubing attached.
b. Enclosed in case (all one piece).

3. Other: (please describe and or provide model/name)

4. Does "brand" make a difference?

My interest is in finding a gauge that will provide accurate readings that hopefully better match what the TPMS reads.

I think philmcneal mentioned increasing the tire pressure to 35 psi to reduce rolloing resistance (thus improving FE) - but that is a different discussion from the accuracy of the TPMS and or the gauges that you own.

Last edited by rdalemercer; 11-09-2008 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:13 AM
Pragmatist
Default Re: Tire Pressure Guages...

If the TPMS readings are wrong, they will not match any accurate pressure gauge. So don't use that as the standard.

Most cheap pressure gauges are cheaply made, and are not likely to be accurate. Most digital gauges are actually very cheaply made -- you are paying for the "digital" electronics, but the actual sensor is not of high quality. Any pressure gauge works by detecting the compression that is imposed on some mechanical component and multiplying the scale of that compression enough so you can see it. The electronics are purely for show.

The mechanical gauges with "Bourdon" tubes are usually the most accurate, closely followed by the diaphragm type gauges. Both types are very good. The construction quality is really the key, not the type. And construction quality is usually (not always) correlated with price. So the $20 gauge is very likely to be more accurate than the $3 gauge.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

rdalemercer,

I guess I am one of those **** people you are thinking about. I used to have a very nice Moroso gauge back in my youth when drag racing. It went to the 1/10 of a pound and was sent back to Moroso at the end of each season to be re-calibrated. That gauge is long gone but when looking for a new one a couple of years when gas prices started going thru the roof, that old Moroso became my standard to compare against.

The old gauge only went to 25psi (drag tires don't need that much in the way of air pressure) so I searched for a gauge with the same accuracy but capable of a higher pressure reading. The best that I have found (and bought) is an Accutire racing gauge that reads to 60psi in .1 psi increments. It re-calibrates before each use and has been spot on each and every time that I have had it checked.

It is a liitle expensive but it has a bleed valve to decrease pressure if you have added too much air, a 10" hose to make getting into tight spots easier and a nice display that is easy to read. I have several other gauges that I keep in my cars and at work but I check them all against this gauge to "re-mark" them to the pressures that I should have.

The following link is the gauge that I have but mine was purchased at Nothern Tools. If you can find one there, they will be a LOT cheaper.

http://www.autogeek.net/racing-tire-gauge.html

Last edited by GeorgiaHybrid; 11-19-2008 at 05:56 PM. Reason: revised link
Old 11-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Enthusiast

Thank GeorgiaHybrid.

I'm guessing that you have not had any issues with the digital gauge vs a mechanical "needle & dial" gauge...

Thanks for your input.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

No issues so far and it has a 5 year warranty if anything does happen. My old gauge was a needle and dial and was easy to see back then but I like the fact that this one has a backlight for my "older" eyes.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:48 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Remember that there is no reason, design wise, for the TPMS's sensor to be (tightly) accurate in relation to an absolute pressure read out. It's there only to detect a change in tire pressure, not to provide an "absolute" pressure readout.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:26 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Tire Pressure Gauges...

GeorgiaHybrid,
I purchased the Accutire Racing Gauge. It arrived while I was out of town so I tried it out even though it was after 11 p.m. ... what can I say?

I am really impressed. It is not only "quality built", but the functionality is spot on. I like the fact that it has the digital readout and the tick marks around the endge of the display that indicates the pressure.

I had to tighten down the hose as it leasked the first time I attached it to the tire, but that was a quick twist.

Thanks for the advice. I now need to find a way to hide it in my car so my son doesn't "inadvertently" use it and forget to put it back

Old 11-23-2008, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Dale,

I answered your message earlier today but it is now lost to cyber space....

Glad you like the gauge. I bought a normal dial gauge similar to the Accutire for my girls, checked them against the Accutire and marked the face with a line. It is easy for them to increase or decrease pressure to "the line" and they think they have a "nice" gauge like dad.

Trying to keep one away from a "car nut" son might prove to be a challenge though...