Spark plugs change 2012 Highlander Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 06:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Spark plugs change 2012 Highlander Hybrid

Anyone knows of write up on how to do this job? There was one floating around and I can't find it. Google will not show anything of value for newer hybrids. Hybrids are quite different from regular Highlander because of all that extra stuff on the passenger side.
It's $832 pre tax dealer, people.

Thank you

Old 08-10-2017, 05:24 PM
Default Re: Spark plugs change 2012 Highlander Hybrid

I asked Google.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:59 PM

Yep. Saw it. Actually, I KNOW how to use Google.
So it's a 3.0 L engine vs 3.5L I have. There is a lot of difference in bay layout between gen 1 and gen 2.
Go to 1.59. The way she removed plenum is BS, big capital letters. Maybe on that engine, but on my wife's RX300, which had same 3.0L, I did plugs 3 times without removing any major components, in 45 minutes.
On 3.5L HiHy, labor time is 4.7 units. yes, 4.7 hour. Plenum is SO MUCH hidden and ignition packs are covered by so much stuff, that I do understand why.
Thank you for good intentions.
I am giving it to my buddy who owns repair shop. $200. You have to take apart half of the engine bay to do rear plugs on this car. F that.

Old 08-12-2017, 07:59 AM

OK, this is as close as I could find for my question:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/12...placement.html

Additional issue to be resolved is hybrid has brake fluid canister and EGR valve assembly on the plenum left hand side, facing the engine. Where his review shows a large gap and thick wand of wires. So that gap, on hybrid engine, needs to be opened by dismounting and scooting those two parts to the side.

You MUST remove cowl and wiper motor mounting plate or, you are taking major chance with the infamous bolt on the L hand side behind the plenum. Just like described in the thread.
They did it for me yesterday. Well, it's buddy, so it was quoted at $200. They took car in at 10, started on it at around 10 45. He called me back at 6 30, car was ready. He had several cars in works same day, so I am not sure how much exactly time it took to do the job.
When I cam there, he was shaking his head in disbelief.... Yep, they surely did pack them in there.
Btw, they did NOT drain coolant. That is mentioned in the official Alldata procedure. I think, EGR has cooling line attached to it. Maybe they simply managed to scoot it off to the side.
I drove car back home about 18 miles.

Old 08-12-2017, 03:07 PM

Talked to the tech who did my plugs. Surprise. He did not remove air intake or throttle body. He said it took him about 2 hrs to do the job.
What he did was to remove cowl and wiper motor assy and metal plate it is on. Then he removed air filter box and hose that goes to throttle body.
Then he removed coolant hose to EGR on the left hand side and immediately plugged it with a rubber plug. Scooted hose out of his way and removed 2 large bolts holding EGR tube in place. Removed EGR. You can actually see one of the plugs right below the EGR tube. Then, he removed 2 bolts on the R hand side, behind and under throttle body, holding some sort of bracket, covering plugs, in place. He says that was it, he could then access all of plugs easily.