redirect question

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 12:46 PM
Enthusiast
Default redirect question

I see people are reading my post but noone commenting. OK so what mpgs are you all getting (without hyperhiling techniques).

Old 05-19-2008, 05:59 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: redirect question

Originally Posted by rgauzenne
I see people are reading my post but noone commenting. OK so what mpgs are you all getting (without hyperhiling techniques).

Can you provide more information about your typical driving routes? Did you drive the vehicle for longer periods when the vehicle was brand new and now are settling down into a more normal routine of short trips?

Your mileage is significantly affected by your trip distances and vehicle speed. Long trips over 30 minutes give better mileage as the engine provides lower mileage when warming up - even when it is 80 degrees outside. Driving at or below 40 MPH gives the best mileage. If you take many short trips of 1 to 5 miles, expect lower mileage. Are you using air conditioning more often now?

My

Old 05-19-2008, 06:07 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for replying.
My distances haven't changed- Mostly running errands and shopping in New Orleans. I work 130mi away so the highway pattern (cruising 68-78mph) is the same too. Since posting I checked my tires which say a max of 44psi and I only have 32-33psi but that is also what I had when I was getting 27mpg. I have been running the AC a little bit more but I was also using it with the 27mpg. Can AC usage drop efficiency by 7mpg?

Old 05-20-2008, 06:48 AM
Happy HiHy Owner

I live outside Tampa, FL in a mostly suburban environment. For the last four months I have consistently averaged 30MPG. This month I am averaging a little over 28MPG. The difference is that the last 4 months had little A/C use and the last month has had constant A/C use (I see 2MPG hit). My driving patterns are:

1. average trip about 15 -20 miles, travel about 12k miles/year
2. interstate driving is about 20% of the total
3. I am a conservative driver (easy start/stop, stay speed limit) - no hypermiling techniques.
4. typically two people in the car all the time (myself and wife)
5. do keep tires at 39 PSI

Hope I captured the essence of what you wanted to know.

2006 HiHy base version

Old 05-20-2008, 10:22 AM
Enthusiast

thanks. i will try adding air to my tires. I also have a call into toyota's national customer service

Old 05-20-2008, 06:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

You KNOW that there is a entire database on this site showing averages (without hypermiling) for almost all these cars, right?

Old 05-21-2008, 10:40 AM
Enthusiast

No, I didn't know that. Where do I find that? Also, what gas milage do you get?

Old 05-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

No, I didn't know that. Where do I find that? Also, what gas milage do you get?
At the very top of each page is a nav-bar. Click the green 'Compare' button.

You can also paste a slick little bit if html into your signature (on the UserCP) to paste your individual mpg stats into your sig.

Benton 21may08

Old 05-21-2008, 01:39 PM
Peakoil

Hi there, the 78 miles per hour caught my eye. My guess is that this speed would yield less than 20 mpg with the non hybrid and maybe 21-22 with a hybrid. It is just too much drag. At 60 miles per hour you would get 29-31 mpg. Drag increases exponentially and is very noticable over 65 mph. A hybrid has very limited benefits if mostly highway. The civic hybrid is an exception with its small engine and mild hybrid part.

At those high speeds I am not that surprised. I would hope at 65 miles per hour on a long trip the hybrid would get 28 mpg. My miles have all been a mix and 28-31 is the yield.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

Quick Reply: redirect question

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands