Premature tire wear (Any TSb's)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 06:59 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Premature tire wear (Any TSb's)

We have 18K on our 2006 HiHy 4x4 Limited with the Goodridance Integrity tires. They have been properly inflated and therefore have even wear across all 4 wheels. However, they are nearly reaching the wear bars on all four tires. At this rate, I expect that the probably will not be making it to even 25K miles. Anyone else experience a similar situation? Are there any TSB's related to excessive tire wear with a specific tire? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I realize that these are suppose to be 60K mile tires so I assume that Toyota (or Goodyear) would pro-rate them and replace them. Anyone done this yet with the Integritys?

Last edited by ndabunka; 10-16-2007 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:58 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: Premature tire wear (Any TSb's)

Originally Posted by ndabunka
We have 18K on our 2006 HiHy 4x4 Limited with the Goodridance Integrity tires. They have been properly inflated and therefore have even wear across all 4 wheels. However, they are nearly reaching the wear bars on all four tires. At this rate, I expect that the probably will not be making it to even 25K miles. . . .
A lot of us are using the max side wall pressure and it seems to help.

Bob Wilson

Old 10-18-2007, 07:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

The Prius uses Goodyear Integrity tires too. Everyone raves about them. NOT!

Check out PriusChat and you will find that your experience isn't unheard of.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

Got 28,000 on our '06 4x4 standard HiHY, with a lot of wear left - expect to get 40,000 or so. I drive pretty conservatively, but do enjoy the 268 ponies every now and then. Are you hitting the curves too aggressively? Do you rotate every 5000? Do you floss daily? Personally, in the 51 years I've been driving, don't believe I've ever had tires that lasted near their rated milage, and sincerely doubt that's a common experience. Yours do sound a bit pathological, and there is the warrenty pro-rated discount, I suppose.

I get about the same 25-26 mpg FE you report and am very happy with it. I still can't fathom the depth of your disappointment in our truly remarkable and unique vehicles. The point of comparison here is with the V8 versions of mid-sized SUV's, which the HiHy equals or surpasses in performance, except for the Porsche and MB turbo iterations - not some pie-in-the-sky FedGov comparison FE number.

I'd believe in the tooth fairy, Santa, and peace in the Middle East in our lifetimes before I'd believe a 4400 lb 4x4 with the equivalent of 300 HP would get 29 MPG average FE, or whatever the absurd figure was. Only 10% or so less as you and I get strikes me as phenomenal for the performance, power reserve, and towing ability we enjoy.

Me? I'd real disappointed, in fact truly PO'd, at my X5 or V8 Cayenne to be passed on a hillclimb by a lowly HiHy getting a true 10-12 mpg better and costing 20-30 grand less, with a third seat, no less (as almost useless as it is, but still a great feature at times).

I'm sure you could trade your crappy HiHy Ltd even-steven for a new Escape and get your dreamed-of 30 mpg SUV. But forget about passing that semi up the hill, towing anything but a utility trailer, or taking four full-grown humans and a couple of kids or grandkids along with you. At 12,000 miles a year, that would save you an additional 50 or so gallons yearly above the 200 you are now saving compared to the V6 non-hybrid Highlander.

Pete

Last edited by PineywoodsPete; 10-18-2007 at 09:54 PM. Reason: wrong calculation
Old 10-19-2007, 08:43 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ndabunka
We have 18K on our 2006 HiHy 4x4 Limited with the Goodridance Integrity tires. They have been properly inflated and therefore have even wear across all 4 wheels. However, they are nearly reaching the wear bars on all four tires. At this rate, I expect that the probably will not be making it to even 25K miles. Anyone else experience a similar situation? Are there any TSB's related to excessive tire wear with a specific tire? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I realize that these are suppose to be 60K mile tires so I assume that Toyota (or Goodyear) would pro-rate them and replace them. Anyone done this yet with the Integritys?
I am having horrible wear from the Michelins as well. Coming up on 20K and have 4/32 left. I expect they will be down to 2/32 by 25K. We rotate every 5K and the wear is very even.

My experience has been this is typical for most OEM tires. I think the best I have gotten out of an OEM tire is about 30K.

I did get the 100K tire warranty when I purchased this car so we are going to find out soon how easy it is to get my prorated replacements. One thing I am unsure about, is do I have to go back into the OEM tire. If so I will just go purchase something else.

Last edited by Chilly; 10-19-2007 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:42 PM
Enthusiast

My 2006 HiHy had Goodyear Integrity tires as OE. I got rid of them at 6K miles; at that point the tread was 40% worn. I bought Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza tires from Costco (which no longer carries those tires). With 21K miles on the Bridgestone tires, the tread is probably 30% worn.

Patrick Wong

Old 11-03-2007, 08:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PineywoodsPete
Got 28,000 on our '06 4x4 standard HiHY, with a lot of wear left - expect to get 40,000 or so. I drive pretty conservatively, but do enjoy the 268 ponies every now and then. Are you hitting the curves too aggressively? Do you rotate every 5000? Do you floss daily? Personally, in the 51 years I've been driving, don't believe I've ever had tires that lasted near their rated milage, and sincerely doubt that's a common experience. Yours do sound a bit pathological, and there is the warrenty pro-rated discount, I suppose.

I get about the same 25-26 mpg FE you report and am very happy with it. I still can't fathom the depth of your disappointment in our truly remarkable and unique vehicles. The point of comparison here is with the V8 versions of mid-sized SUV's, which the HiHy equals or surpasses in performance, except for the Porsche and MB turbo iterations - not some pie-in-the-sky FedGov comparison FE number.

I'd believe in the tooth fairy, Santa, and peace in the Middle East in our lifetimes before I'd believe a 4400 lb 4x4 with the equivalent of 300 HP would get 29 MPG average FE, or whatever the absurd figure was. Only 10% or so less as you and I get strikes me as phenomenal for the performance, power reserve, and towing ability we enjoy.

Me? I'd real disappointed, in fact truly PO'd, at my X5 or V8 Cayenne to be passed on a hillclimb by a lowly HiHy getting a true 10-12 mpg better and costing 20-30 grand less, with a third seat, no less (as almost useless as it is, but still a great feature at times).

I'm sure you could trade your crappy HiHy Ltd even-steven for a new Escape and get your dreamed-of 30 mpg SUV. But forget about passing that semi up the hill, towing anything but a utility trailer, or taking four full-grown humans and a couple of kids or grandkids along with you. At 12,000 miles a year, that would save you an additional 50 or so gallons yearly above the 200 you are now saving compared to the V6 non-hybrid Highlander.

Pete
Deadwood Pete - One decent paragraph, four additional paragraphs going off on some personal rant? There is not a SINGLE comment on the poorer than advertised FE in my post on THIS thread. That was intentional. This thread is SOLELY about the tire wear so please keep your extraneous comments about YOUR perceived values on FE to yourself. BTW, I would NEVER own a POS GM vehicle. Maybe you have in your past life, but it's not a consideration in my world. You may be older than dirt but you've apparently still got some "learning" to do on the side of etiquette. BTW - This is my wife's vehicle and yes, she is a conservative driver (we are over 40 after all).

Old 11-10-2007, 06:49 AM
Enthusiast

My HiHy and I...funny, it rhymes. Just celebrated our 30,000 anniversary. And I am religious about keeping on track with everything in my car. I have been noticing that my tire wear has been increasing and rather than going to rotate my tires, I bought new Goodyear Fortera's as I live in Minnesota. At 30,000 miles, my treadwear was at 3/12, and that was with the stock Integrity's at 5,000/rotation intervals. I purchased my tires at Sam's club, as it's 6 months no interest on the sam's club credit, $40 Goodyear rebate, and unlimited road hazard, rotation and balancing included. Best of luck.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

Update - I took the HyHi in for the 20K service and had the dealership look at the tires. They said... "Yep, they are worn out. But we don't do the replacement. It has to be done by a Goodyear dealership". I found this odd because when there was a problem with the OEM tires I had on my Acura, the dealership THEMSELVES addressed the issue rather than pawning it off to one of the tire mfg's storefronts. Luckily in this case, the GoodYear dealer was less than 1/2 mile away and I simply stopped in on my way back home to see what they could do. The general manager looked at the tires and said that he would have to call corporate to see how to handle it. Keeping my fingers crossed that they will at least prorate it but the GM's comments that it was a 50K-mile tire give me a little bit of concern (because I could have sworn that I identified them as 60K tires above ^^^ but don't recall where that link may be). So, if they are 60's then I only got 1/3rd of the "projected" life out of them. If they are 50's then I got nearly 50%. It could make a difference as to cost in the long run. We shall see.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

I tried to get a set of the Yokohama YK520's as they appear to be a good high mileage, low rolling resistance tire (at the best price $127/tire). The Goodyear guy did call a lot of distributors but wasn't able to locate a price or any of those tires anywhere around here. Maybe they are new. Goodyear was originally asking $175/tire for the Fortera Triple Tread tires (only ones that come in our size) but I was able to find a price from Discount tire of $158/tire so they have agreed to match that. $62 credit from the old POS Integrity's takes it down under $100 a tire which I guess is acceptable. I've heard that others who got the Fortera's got a bit poorer mileage. Hope that's not the case but I guess we will see.

Quick Reply: Premature tire wear (Any TSb's)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands