Just bought new 08 Highlander Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 05:55 AM
Enthusiast
Default Just bought new 08 Highlander Hybrid

I've been reading these post for 6 months on the Highlander and finally bought one two weeks ago. We were getting ready for a trip and decided this was the best time. We got the Hybrid Limited with Nav, cypress pearl.

Two days after buying, we left for Disney World. This trip was about 30 miles of highway driving and the rest interstate. The trip from Statesboro, Ga is about 320 miles. I tried applying each technique I learned dealing with getting the best mileage and I must say it works pretty well. We've taken our Chevrolet Trailblazer to Orlando on our trips for races in Daytona (we stayed in Orlando) and I remember well having to fill up near Daytona so we could make it to Orlando. On this trip, we got about 29.1 mpg on our way down and were left with between a half and a quarter of a tank when we arrived on Sunday. I drove to Disney each day (about 6 miles) and on Wednesday, finally had to fill up. It only took 15 gallons, so I assume I had a few gallons left (the gauge was showing a little above the empty line, but the info center said we had about 40 miles left??? Anyway, on our trip back home, we averaged 29.5. I drove around the same speed as I would have in the Trailblazer so that I might compare (I drove around 80 on the Interstate and about 65 on other roads).

Our condo was in a huge complex off the main highway and each time I left that road, I was able to drive in EV all the way back. I would say it was a quarter mile with two stop signs and a guard gate in between. I could go right around 10 miles per hour, I think. I was trying to keep the EV active so I didnt see how fast I could go before it shut off.

Our second trip was to Columbus, Georgia this past weekend. This trip was about split, 100 miles highway and 100 miles interstate. My wife filled up on Friday morning and drove around doing errands till noon in town. She averaged about 34 mpg before we left so our mileage over may be a little skewed. We averaged 31 mpg to Columbus and if I remember we had a shade over a half tank left when we arrived Friday night. We drove around Columbus on Friday night searching for a place to eat, then to Columbus State University on Saturday morning for a competition for my daughter. After that, we left on our way back to Statesboro. We stopped about 20 miles outside of town and filled up again. This took about 10 gallons and I believe the gauge showed between a quarter and half tank left. On our trip back we averaged 29.7 and we were left with a little under 3/4 of a tank. That is huge compared to our Trailblazer.

Overall, I couldn't be happier. I didn't notice anything that would lead me to believe I was driving a hybrid.

One question I do have, and I am familiar with built in navs, how do you set it up to cut the radio down when the girl voice is giving commands? If your listening to the radio when she breaks in, you can hear the drivers side speakers cut out but if the radio is at mid volume you cannot hear her.

Last edited by bryan92; 04-22-2008 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:38 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Just bought new 08 Highlander Hybrid

Around how much did you end up paying for it? Any discounts?

Old 04-27-2008, 07:59 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bryan92
One question I do have, and I am familiar with built in navs, how do you set it up to cut the radio down when the girl voice is giving commands? If your listening to the radio when she breaks in, you can hear the drivers side speakers cut out but if the radio is at mid volume you cannot hear her.
There's a nav voice volume setting on one of the nav setup menus. You're just going to have to play with what works best for you when you have the radio set at a particular volume.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:04 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Around how much did you end up paying for it? Any discounts?
We settled on 3% over invoice.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:04 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WebG
There's a nav voice volume setting on one of the nav setup menus. You're just going to have to play with what works best for you when you have the radio set at a particular volume.
Thanks for the response-that is what I was afraid of.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:33 AM
Beyond AM. Beyond FM.

Originally Posted by bryan92
Thanks for the response-that is what I was afraid of.
Hit the Menu button, then touch the Volume icon on the screen, then set the volume and make sure the "adaptive volume control" icon is turned on. That way, the voice guidance will always be heard over the radio.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:21 AM
Peakoil

Good post on new THH. I too bought one last week. Decent discount of $3,500 but nothing to write home about. We had a trade which always muddies the waters. Walked away from first offer and made deal via email later. Amazing what you can do when you LEAVE the dealership. They have no leverage at that point. It has it all, Navi et al. Anyhow, we got 31 mpg 100 miles driving home from dealer and hanging in at 29 mpg at 250 miles. Very pleased. Car is light purple. No complaints on this. Tinted the driver and passenger window and did a pin stripe.
Where is 2008 THH II mileage posts? There are none yet? Maybe not looking right place.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:32 PM
Outcast Enthusiast

I have the same question, where is the 2008 THH II mileage posts?
Are the 29 and 31 mpg given all "computer" or measured?
The only person I know who has a II is averaging 26.

My sister was recently scoping out this car and couldn't find one locally for under $40K. Toyota marketing is masterful. They realized the 4-cyl Highlander was stealing THH sales so for the II the 4-cylinder got the ax. My sis is now looking at used 4-cyl Highlanders.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:28 AM
Peakoil

26 mpg overall is excellent for a 4,500 suv. Consumer reports mixed driving yielded 18 for regular 3.5 L vs 24 for the Hybrid Highlander. A 6 mpg gain.
Now, I think careful hybrid drivers can always beat by a good margin folks who "just drive". That said, with 370 miles on the tank, I am at 28.8 since last refuel. We were 32 mpg the first 100 miles of mixed driving home from the dealer. Yet to actually fill up but plan on putting into the database. I would think a fully broken in hybrid would yield 1 mpg more.

I am an engineer and daily personal driver is a BMW 328 i 6m. I always get 30 mpg and with warmer temperatures 31 mpg looks easy as well. Consumer report says 24 mpg with auto. Depends much on the driver as well.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:25 AM
Outcast Enthusiast

Yeah I agree, 26 mpg is good for a 4000 lbs SUV (+500 lbs hybrid system). My friend that I referred to has been disappointed with their fuel economy. They saw 21-23 with their previous RX 300. However, their daily drive should favor the hybrid and they were hoping to see the 32, 29, etc that some people here are reporting. So far they have only made two trip's (Myrtle Beach & Gatlinburg) and didn't break 27 for either trip. FWIW, the THHII driver is next door to Byran92 in SC, so temperature, etc shouldn't be much of a factor.

My only personal experience with a Highlander is a 2006 I rented for 2 weeks. I drove that vehicle 1200, almost all highway and observed 23 MPG. So comparing apples to apples the 08 THHII uses the same engine (3.3), swaps 5-spd auto for CVT and adds the hybrid system. So with the same engine and 50% more weight. How does the THHII go from the 23 I observed to the 29-31 observed here. I understand if the driving took advantage of the Hybrid system, but I don't understand it in highway (aka gas mode). If a V-6 06 Highlander had it's 5-spd auto swapped for a CVT and 1500 Lbs of lead loaded. Would it get 29-31 mpg on the highway?

Quick Reply: Just bought new 08 Highlander Hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands