Hypermiling and SUV max tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 06:44 AM
Enthusiast
Default Hypermiling and SUV max tire pressure

Hi

I was wondering what everyone is using for their tire pressures.
I have a HH 4WDI with factory Michelins and wanted to increase pressure to help FE. But don't want to overdue it.
Any reccomendations?

Thanks

Old 06-10-2008, 07:03 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hypermiling and SUV max tire pressure

It really depends moreso on just how much you love life, enjoy living.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:07 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wwest
It really depends moreso on just how much you love life, enjoy living.
What kind of response is that?

Old 06-10-2008, 09:18 AM
Peakoil

Here is a real response, I put in 3 psi extra in my case 38 all around. Rides well and should help. Using the max posted on sidewall is way too stiff and may cause center wear.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:45 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by soonercat
Here is a real response, I put in 3 psi extra in my case 38 all around. Rides well and should help. Using the max posted on sidewall is way too stiff and may cause center wear.
Which tires do you have?

Old 06-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

I am currently running Goodyear Fortrera's they have a max sidewall of 44 and I am running at 44.

When I had the Michelins, I regularly ran them at 38, good wear, no center wear to speak of, and better mileage.

Tires blow up or come off the rim when they are underinflated, not when they are over inflated.

Michelin has recommendations on their site for adding tire pressure when one runs the tires either under greater load or at greater speed than normal.

MM

Old 06-10-2008, 12:54 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MMooney
I am currently running Goodyear Fortrera's they have a max sidewall of 44 and I am running at 44.

When I had the Michelins, I regularly ran them at 38, good wear, no center wear to speak of, and better mileage.

Tires blow up or come off the rim when they are underinflated, not when they are over inflated.

Michelin has recommendations on their site for adding tire pressure when one runs the tires either under greater load or at greater speed than normal.

MM
Thanks for submitting your information.

The rating from the the Michelin site :
Maximum Load1819lbs.@35 psi

Can you tell me where I can find the area of the site for the reccomendation of adding tire pressure?

Thanks

Old 06-10-2008, 03:19 PM

I run my Goodyears at 44 psi as well. You'll have to go much higher than that to see center wear. I really don't know why the max sidewall pressure is so low on the Michelins, but I noticed that too when I was first buying.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by lensterman
What kind of response is that?
An honest one, one that Ford should have given to purchasers of the Explorer so they would know that Ford had increased their potential for an early grave via under-inflating Explorer tires to lower their statistical potential for rollover.

Some died.

These are FWD vehicles, F/AWD at best, therefore directional control is already compromised and to suggest that owners increase the potential for loss of control by reducing the vehicle's roadbed traction coefficient is nothing less than criminal.

The small FE improvement is not worth the ADDITIONAL risk it poses to your life and that of your passengers, loved ones.

I put 1.5" wheel spacers all around on my '01 AWD RX300 primarily to add enough suspension clearance in teh rear such that tire chains could be safely used. On the rear first, initially, and then the second set at the front if/when needed.

But adding those spacers also allowed me to upgrade to 17X8 wheels and tires. Wider stance gives me more stability against rollover and wider tread more roadbed traction.

WIN, WIN, WIN...

VS.......

Old 06-10-2008, 07:18 PM

Oh, sorry, almost forgot...

Ford began under-inflating Explorer SUV tires because statistically that lowered the potential for rollover.

Wouldn't it follow then that over-inflating your tires, SUV tires, would statistically raise the potential for rollover...??

Quick Reply: Hypermiling and SUV max tire pressure

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands