How I Avg 26.2mpg for over 3500 miles in my 08 HiHY

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 08:34 AM
Enthusiast
Default How I Avg 26.2mpg for over 3500 miles in my 08 HiHY

Been lurking on the board for a while now. Seen a number of posts on complaints about the HiHy MPG. Three months ago I traded in my 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee (14mpg) for an 08 HiHy. I drive about 250Miles a week 50/50 Hwy and Cty. So I decided to share my experience with the 08 HiHY. Best mpg I ever got was 35mpg on a 100 mile trip.

My first tank got about 19mpg. I found that I was what was holding the car back from getting better mileage. The car will only do what you tell it to do. If you drive like a bat out of hell, you will get terrible mileage. I was a lead foot, I had a V8 that really moved and I drove the HiHy the same way I did my V8.

Given all the speculation out there about what to expect for mileage, I feel pretty good about what I get. Here is how I do it:

1- Changed my diplay to the screen that show the MPG and bar graph on current mpg. Hit the display button until the screen is blank, push the button 3 times to get to the screen I use. Gave me a good overall view of how the engine was working in relation to my driving habits

2- Slowed down a bit started doing the speed limit and not gunning the engine off the line. Cruise at 55-60 on Hwy and doing the speed limit in town 25-45 depending on the street I'm on. The reality is that I would blow past cars on the hwy only to have them catch up to me on the exit ramp. So why speed, you really do nothing but waste fuel.

3- Use cruise control wherever I can, on the highway and in the city. If I can cruise for even two blocks I do it. Why, it is more efficeint at keeping me at cruising speed than I could ever do on my own.

4- Use the AC with auto and Sync. I haven't had it really effect my MPG. Avg temp here has been about 85 and very humid. I run the ac at 73 with no performance decrease.

5- Use Econ and EV mode whenever I can. It all adds up in the end. I admit EV mode is still a bit of a mystery to me. But as long as I'm going 22mph or less I'm running only on the battery. Works great in traffic jams.

Hope this helps

Old 07-06-2008, 07:33 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How I Avg 26.2mpg for over 3500 miles in my 08 HiHY

Welcome to the forums. You can get even higher fuel economy if you want. Using AC (especially set to 73) definitely affects your fuel economy.

Here are a few threads that you might find interesting:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...rid-4wd-15124/

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...hlander-14849/

Old 07-06-2008, 11:04 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smoothieking
Been lurking on the board for a while now. Seen a number of posts on complaints about the HiHy MPG. Three months ago I traded in my 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee (14mpg) for an 08 HiHy. I drive about 250Miles a week 50/50 Hwy and Cty. So I decided to share my experience with the 08 HiHY. Best mpg I ever got was 35mpg on a 100 mile trip.

My first tank got about 19mpg. I found that I was what was holding the car back from getting better mileage. The car will only do what you tell it to do. If you drive like a bat out of hell, you will get terrible mileage. I was a lead foot, I had a V8 that really moved and I drove the HiHy the same way I did my V8.

Given all the speculation out there about what to expect for mileage, I feel pretty good about what I get. Here is how I do it:

1- Changed my diplay to the screen that show the MPG and bar graph on current mpg. Hit the display button until the screen is blank, push the button 3 times to get to the screen I use. Gave me a good overall view of how the engine was working in relation to my driving habits

2- Slowed down a bit started doing the speed limit and not gunning the engine off the line. Cruise at 55-60 on Hwy and doing the speed limit in town 25-45 depending on the street I'm on. The reality is that I would blow past cars on the hwy only to have them catch up to me on the exit ramp. So why speed, you really do nothing but waste fuel.

3- Use cruise control wherever I can, on the highway and in the city. If I can cruise for even two blocks I do it. Why, it is more efficeint at keeping me at cruising speed than I could ever do on my own.

4- Use the AC with auto and Sync. I haven't had it really effect my MPG. Avg temp here has been about 85 and very humid. I run the ac at 73 with no performance decrease.

5- Use Econ and EV mode whenever I can. It all adds up in the end. I admit EV mode is still a bit of a mystery to me. But as long as I'm going 22mph or less I'm running only on the battery. Works great in traffic jams.

Hope this helps
To me, it begins to appear that one of the most practical aspects, reasons for purchasing a hybrid vehicle, it to "teach", encourage, owners how to drive conservatively with regards to FE.

Possibly the MAJOR reason overall.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:17 PM
Peakoil

Good post

Old 07-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Peakoil

As an engineer I love to play around with our 08 HH hybrid. I took it to work yesterday 32 mi Rt. Went on back rounds (45 mph, few lights). When I got home the average since leavning was 35 mpg. First, my lovely wife would be at 28 mpg on the same trip. So yes I am a fanatic. I engaged the battery at every opportunity. On slight rises I speed up to 47 then crest the rise can manage quite a distance on the electric mode. Regardless, 65 mph on the expressway yields no better than 28 mpg on level with no AC. Anyone have more info on that. here the hybrid has few advantages not overshadowed by weight gain. Regardless, 28 mpg overall since purchase is decent on regular non ethanol crap gas.

look forward to hearing from some of you.

Also I had my regular starter battery totally bomb out after 5 days sitting. I was mad but realized it may have been mostly discharged when I bought it. Of course when I went to test drive they could not start it as someone left interior lights on. I think it never recharged. They just jumped it and drove around. I have read of others with this problem. I did a slow 4 amp recharge overnight (took 13 hours) this tells me it was dead.
Nothing like getting in the HH and pushing the button and nothing nada. The clock dies, the mpg readout history dies and so on.
Blue light still showing charged, but will keep an eye on it. Sad the dealer did not do a complete trickle charge which would be nice for $40,000.
J