hihy in accident & now i think i have a drag

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 03:04 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: hihy in accident & now i think i have a drag

OK Pete - hot off the test, couldn't do 80MPH that's ticket country here in Ontario!! In my 06 HH needle sits with 2 bars of white (of the 7) showing below the needle at rest and Ready. When I come off the gas from any speed, the needle dips momentarily almost to the blue but then bounces back to show about 1 1/2 bars below in a second or less.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:53 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by petesell
yeah, that's what you might call a stretch, & not really related to my problem. this is the 2nd winter of ownership for me & i did not notice any significant drop in mileage & needle variance last winter. something happened after the accident, but part of not driving the vehicle for a month made my own amnesia regarding the exact readings in relation to throttle position or lack thereof. the body shop last week replaced the bearing & hub (again). i'm monitoring mileage now, but the needle is still behaving the same way so if there are any hihy owners reading this i'd still be interested in noting the behavior of your tach needle as per my previous postings. thanks for posting in the thread if only to add a little life to this forum.
My point was/is that the accident may have resulted in an open circuit for the OAT sensor. Unless you have an OAT indication inside the cabin you would never know the hybrid system NOW thinks the OAT is ALWAYS sub-freezing.

Having NOTING to do with LAST winter.

Even if you do have an inside readout of OAT we cannot be sure it uses the same sensor.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flyboy45
OK Pete - hot off the test, couldn't do 80MPH that's ticket country here in Ontario!! In my 06 HH needle sits with 2 bars of white (of the 7) showing below the needle at rest and Ready. When I come off the gas from any speed, the needle dips momentarily almost to the blue but then bounces back to show about 1 1/2 bars below in a second or less.
excellent. thks! exactly what i was looking for. my needle rests as the same place as yours, and ends up slighty lower then 1.5 clicks at higher speeds like 70 or 80, or if i'm driving with a heavy load. basically i have to conclude from this non scientific test that my tachometer is behaving normally. so now i guess the only thing i can do is bring the car back to the dealer & have them give it a once over to ensure everything is right. sucks though because you know the dealer isn't going to be exhaustive about it. i'll mention the OAT sensor, but my guess is that a malfunctioning sensor should throw a MIL.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:42 PM

excellent. thks! exactly what i was looking for. my needle rests as the same place as yours, and ends up slighty lower then 1.5 clicks at higher speeds like 70 or 80, or if i'm driving with a heavy load. basically i have to conclude from this non scientific test that my tachometer is behaving normally. so now i guess the only thing i can do is bring the car back to the dealer & have them give it a once over to ensure everything is right. sucks though because you know the dealer isn't going to be exhaustive about it. i'll mention the OAT sensor, but my guess is that a malfunctioning sensor should throw a MIL.
An open OAT sensor results in constant reading of -33F will not be cause for "throwing" a code. There are some places on the planet.....

Old 03-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Enthusiast

...my question is, when you are going say 50 or 60 mph on a flat road & you let off the gas - where is the needle?
When driving at 60 mph on a level road, the Power meter needle is pointing at the second or third horizontal line above the blue zone (counting from the bottom).

Old 03-11-2009, 10:59 AM

Many newer vehicles, in order to extend FE, use fuel cutoff during throttle lift coastdown periods. So as to not fully stall the engine using this technique the transaxle will often be downshifted to sustain the engine RPM above the stall point until the fuel cutoff ends.

For a 6 speed that might mean a downshift to 5th, or maybe even 4th, but I could not find a reference for downshifting below that, just that fuel cutoff was disabled.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

for anyone who cares, it was the wheel bearing all along. there must have been installer error with the first one. no other issues and mileage is back up to 400/tank which is par for the course. i did notice a bigger difference in the warmer weather - something i hadn't noticed before (or wasn't paying attention to). thanks to all who responded.

unrelated, but this is good -

http://www.theonion.com/content/news...lied_to_about/

Old 05-20-2009, 09:53 AM
Enthusiast

Wow - a wheel bearing caused that big an increase in fuel consumption?? There must be more to this surely?? Any evidence of abnormal tire wear due to poor alignment? I wonder if they did some other stuff they should have previously and didn't tell you??

Old 05-20-2009, 10:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

it is very strange. there was no evidence of tire wear in the few months between the work. it's very possible there was something more to the story that i'm not being told. there was a distinct sound - similar to that airplane turbine sound you here when we brake - only you heard it all the time. when they replaced the bearing that sound went away. i don't know what else they would have touched & they wouldn't admit to much of anything. maybe the combination of the bad bearing & the cold weather was enough(the accident was in november iirc).

Old 05-20-2009, 10:59 AM
Enthusiast

Ah well - fixed is good. Maybe it was the OAT as per WW. I had mine replaced with a set of mechanics fingers fixed to the hood - when the break off it's FC.