HH06 Cabin Filter Change

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 11:01 AM
Enthusiast
Default HH06 Cabin Filter Change

60KMiles on 06HH, elected not to pay Toyota high prices for required 60K svc PLUS all the mandatory add-ons that they try to stick you with here in Las Vegas.

Went to qualified Toyota Service folks for all the required oil/filter, inspections, etc., but took on air filter and cabin filter change myself.

Air Filter, no brainer providing you pay attention to direction (Front vs back and top vs bottom) filter is put in place. Interestingly enough I found Toyota stealer had installed backwards the fillter I was replacing, even though proper direction plainly marked in english.

Cabin Filter. Almost no brainer.

1. get down on knees look at right bottom rear of the underside of the closed glove box. In my car I found a white plastic plug with wire coming from it and going to rear of glove box. Retaining pin looks like it can be unscrewed, but really you can either unscrew or push forward from back of plug. Then the plug pops free from its mounting bracket.

2. Open glove box and remove contents before they fall out all over the place ;-) Look to left and righ outsides of glove box and you will see a couple of extension pins which contact the dash to keep the glove box from falling forward. Gently push in the left side of the glove box first until the pin comes free and then do the same on the right. Glove box should fall out into your hands.

3. At the back you will see the tray holding the cabin filter. Simply pull it forward. I you are just "cleaning" your filter shake off all the dust, dirt and leaves, and put back in place. If replacing, pay attention to the little bottom retaining pins and make sure everything fits. Then slide tray back in, remount glove box and reattach retaining pin.

Estimate in box with my filter said this was 15 - 20 min job. Took 10 to do job, 10 more to find what to remove and get a screwdriver (that turned out to be unneeded.)

Chuck

Old 07-23-2009, 01:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HH06 Cabin Filter Change

Most every first attempt I make to pull something off our car is frought with tension and mystery. One of the most recent stumpers were the wiper blades on an '06 Civic. There were actually people posting on the Internet, stumped on how to get the dang things off. Of course the next time is a breeze, well unless the service interval is so long that you forget the tricks.