HH Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 03:35 AM
Automania Enthusiast
Unhappy HH Brakes

Just turned 35K on my HH and now that it's cooler could run with the windows down. Noticed a metal to metal rubbing from the right rear that I could load and unload by loading the RR wheel.

I jacked it up and confirmed it was coming from the right rear and it appears to be brake related. Won't know because you have to make an appointment with the dealer just to have them take a look at it.

After the dealer called and was able to look at it yesterday it was confirmed the rear pads were worn out, looks like the pins were froze on the calipers, checking the fronts they were down to less then 3 MM which is about the time to think about replacing them as well.

Anyone else have brake related problems or wear issues. With the HH I would have expected the brakes to go 80-100K, like they are on most to the Prius's, because of the Regen system and not using the brakes themselves as much as a normal Highlander.

One good thing was 'some' of the repair will be under warranty because it's under 36K.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:31 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HH Brakes

[quote=Bob259;187204]Just turned 35K on my HH and now that it's cooler could run with the windows down. Noticed a metal to metal rubbing from the right rear that I could load and unload by loading the RR wheel.

I jacked it up and confirmed it was coming from the right rear and it appears to be brake related. Won't know because you have to make an appointment with the dealer just to have them take a look at it.

After the dealer called and was able to look at it yesterday it was confirmed the rear pads were worn out, looks like the pins were froze on the calipers, checking the fronts they were down to less then 3 MM which is about the time to think about replacing them as well.

I have nearly 38,000 on my '06 HiHy and just a couple of days ago checked the pads while rotating the tires. Now I don't know what 100% looks like for this vehicle, but the fronts had about 3/8" left and the backs about 1/4", which in my Volvo V70 would be very little worn - about what I expected with the great majority of my braking being regen only. I can see them lasting another 40,000 mi. or so.

I wonder if the winter road salts have caused the pad seizing?

Pete

Old 09-24-2008, 09:03 AM
Automania Enthusiast

I can imagine that the road salt would be a contributing factor. But I would have 'assumed' Toyota having other vehicles in the NE and knowing the conditions would not have designed or used parts that would hold up to those conditions better. Heck if my old GM, Mercedes, Triumph, etc did I would have expected more from Toyota.

The best answer yet was from Toyota. They say "the brakes are a wear item, not covered (pads I understand, not the rotors and pins) and if I looked at my warranty service book I would see that the brakes are checked every 5K miles as at anytime over 5K they may need replacing.... " A total BS answer, if Toyota's brakes prove to be only good for 5K this will be my last Toyota vehicle.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:01 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If the caliper was "frozen" to the slide pins then the rubber protective boots had failed, were never installed or the pins weren't lubed at the factory.

I have had rubber protective boots fail due to road debris but NEVER on both sides simultaneously.

I would ask the dealer to honor the warranty since the pad wear was due to a mechanical failure.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob259
I can imagine that the road salt would be a contributing factor. But I would have 'assumed' Toyota having other vehicles in the NE and knowing the conditions would not have designed or used parts that would hold up to those conditions better. Heck if my old GM, Mercedes, Triumph, etc did I would have expected more from Toyota.

The best answer yet was from Toyota. They say "the brakes are a wear item, not covered (pads I understand, not the rotors and pins) and if I looked at my warranty service book I would see that the brakes are checked every 5K miles as at anytime over 5K they may need replacing.... " A total BS answer, if Toyota's brakes prove to be only good for 5K this will be my last Toyota vehicle.

Total BS, for sure, unless you or other drivers are braking at the last moment as most non-hybrid drivers seem to do. Otherwise, sounds like something in the braking system is causing excessive pad drag all around. After the pads are replaced, I'd run it at highway speeds for a few miles, then gradually brake it down using only regen, and check the disc rotor temps, using a handheld heat sensor gun (or a finger with a cloth over it at first). They should be warm but not hot. I've checked mine like this out of curiosity about the regen when I got the car, and will do it again.

Pete