got me some summer wheels for the HiHy

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 07:47 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default got me some summer wheels for the HiHy

since i don't know how to post pics here (i'll look into this later) i'll send you to a thread i made over at the vortex -
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2671575

the wheels are 18" wrapped in 255/55 continental summer-only tires (v-spd rated).
during the breakin period i'm keeping them @ 35 psi, but will probably add to that a bit. besides the add'l rolling resistance of a wider tire, what other affects can a wider tire have on the synergy drive? the overall diameter of the wheel is .5" bigger - very close to stock so speedo should be just a pinch slow.
all comments welcome.

Old 06-22-2006, 07:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: got me some summer wheels for the HiHy

Can't help on your question, but have to say that's a very sweet ride you've got there.

Am I seein' things, or does your HiHy have a sun/moonroof over the back row seats? If so, that's cool... if not, it's got a nice looking roofline, anyway.

Old 06-22-2006, 08:23 AM
no more oil

pete

As far as i know its pretty well uncharted territory on this forum. I would like to know about bigger tires, especially for offroading capabilities. I am enthusiastic about the post on offroading . Toyo made it sound like my 4x4 was capable, but really for show.

Im sure the new tires wont hurt the mpg that much.

Old 06-22-2006, 08:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

tom,
i agree the mileage won't go down too much, and i think i little higher psi can help offset the add'l resistance of wider tires. honestly, i'm just looking for a little better handling then the (relatively thin) oe 225's offer, particularly at highway speeds.

as far as offroading goes, i don't think these cars are designed for 'serious' offroading. the available torque and bumper angles are fine. even the ground clearance of 7.3" is not too bad. but i remember reading somewhere that there is a weakness in the design of the suspension on these cars for offroading. i can't remember the details, but i'll comeback if i can find the article.

Old 06-22-2006, 08:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeekGal
Am I seein' things, or does your HiHy have a sun/moonroof over the back row seats? If so, that's cool... if not, it's got a nice looking roofline, anyway.
the moonroof is the stocker, but tilted up for the pic possible creating an illusion? gotta lay off the bong geeky

Old 06-22-2006, 08:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by petesell
the moonroof is the stocker, but tilted up for the pic possible creating an illusion? gotta lay off the bong geeky
I'm an all natural geek, powered only by Dr Pepper.

There are some threads elsewhere on GreenHybrid from folks (in various hybrid vehicles, not necessarily HiHy's) who've upgraded their wheels and/or rims. Might do a search and see if any of the discussions apply. Just a thought (and to stay on topic )

Old 07-13-2006, 09:21 AM
Charged

Originally Posted by petesell
since i don't know how to post pics here (i'll look into this later) i'll send you to a thread i made over at the vortex -
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2671575

the wheels are 18" wrapped in 255/55 continental summer-only tires (v-spd rated).
during the breakin period i'm keeping them @ 35 psi, but will probably add to that a bit. besides the add'l rolling resistance of a wider tire, what other affects can a wider tire have on the synergy drive? the overall diameter of the wheel is .5" bigger - very close to stock so speedo should be just a pinch slow.
all comments welcome.
I have a similar setup. Voxx 18" wheels with 255/55 Pirelli Scorpions on them. The improved handling is remarkable, and the vehicle looks a ton better as well. Much more "planted" and stable in appearance. I've driven this setup for 13K miles, and couldn't be happier. I've also put winter tires on the factory rims, and the Highlander grips like glue on the ice-n-snow.