Disappointing gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 12:28 PM
Just Say No, to more oil
Default Re: Disappointing gas mileage

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Those looking to buy an SUV should consider the Ford Escape Hybrid.
My 2WD is getting 33-35 MPG in Colorado Winters, and 42-45 MPG in warmer months. I do think the Ford has the largest battery pack also. It for sure has the highest voltage of any Hybrid ( 330v vs 280v in Toyota and Lexus ) and I wonder if that helps?

You just can't beat the FEH for MPG in an SUV!
-John
I considered the Ford Escape Hybrid - after I had to go to arbitration and have Ford Repurchase my 2006 Escape XLT. -- I had a bad taste in my mouth after that experience and test drove the Highlander - when I found out they had a Hybrid version - I fell for it. There is not a true comparison between the two models - the Ford is considered a Small SUV while the Highlander is considered a mid-size SUV. I like the Highlander because I can tow with it and no loss of power/capability - also more interior room. Ford has a comparison chart at:

http://www.fordvehicles.com/suvs/esc...C18603%7C16902

However, it is slightly tilted towards Ford (duh!) - but it does show that the Highlander has significant more umph with minimal difference in mpg. They also fail to compare the cargo capacity. Nor are they totally accurate with the options on the Highlander and safety features.

Last edited by Seadog; 04-25-2006 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hobbit
what do you expect, you bought a power wagon..
_H*
That's right

Why did you buy an SUV if you're concerned about mileage?

that thing costs $62,000 + tax here in Canada that's over $70,000CND or $62,000USD, why are you complaining?
i bet it's still better than just a regular Lexus 350

dont tell me you cant afford the gas to fill it up

Last edited by CamelFilters; 04-25-2006 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

Those looking to buy an SUV should consider the Ford Escape Hybrid.
My 2WD is getting 33-35 MPG in Colorado Winters, and 42-45 MPG in warmer months. I do think the Ford has the largest battery pack also. It for sure has the highest voltage of any Hybrid ( 330v vs 280v in Toyota and Lexus ) and I wonder if that helps?

You just can't beat the FEH for MPG in an SUV!
-John
John,

Yes, I believe you're right. If you're looking strictly for MPG, it looks like your FEH readily kicks HiHy butt, but it does come at a price: power. If I remember correctly, your FEH has about 155 HP compared to the HiHy's 268 HP. That's a pretty significant difference, especially when you're carrying lots of passengers/load, or just annoyed at the BMWers around you zipping around. Not to mention all those monsterous V8 SUVs clogging the lanes.

As a person that has lived with 135 HP (an old Acura Integra) for over 10 yrs, driving the HiHy is such a joy when it comes to merging onto freeway traffic or just keeping obnoxious drivers in check. (I live in CA, and unfortunately there are some real bozos on the road here). I guess it's an emotional thing, but it's satisfying knowing you can really gun the HiHy when you need it.

There's also a lot of FUD when it comes to Ford. I used to own an '82 Ford Mustang and that was a horrible experience. The tricks I had to do just to keep that car from stalling. In contrast my dad had a '76 Toyota Corolla and that bugger kept running without fail for over 20 years. I don't think I'll ever give Ford another chance until they've proven that they're quality is actually BETTER than Toyota. I know, I've heard that Ford has improved their quality, but I guess I still have a heavy chip on my shoulder. I'm also pissed off at GM for wasting time on hydrogen fuel cell cars. Come on guys... look at the whole picture including overall efficiency of the process: energy content conversion, manufacturing, distribution. It's not just about a cool technology. Stupid.

I'm glad that you're happy with your FEH and I hope Ford has got its act together to produce a high quality vehicle. Deep down I am rooting for Ford to succeed with its FEH. Despite my feelings over Ford, I like an underdog and I want to see an American car company for once kick some butt. I just don't want to be one of their guinea pigs. Been there done that.

-Han-

Last edited by hsolo142; 04-25-2006 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:24 PM
no more oil

guys
There is no comparison between the ford escape and highlander hybrid models. Ford has a peppy little SUV with excellent gas mileage for an SUV in any class. It still can move, and has room for 5 and many features. Nobody so far can touch it for true economy with a 4x4 suv body.

On the other hand, Toyota's always have by far the better resale value, and the highlander is a full blown SUV with 268 horsepower.

Those folks who want a family sized full suv like they are used to -but want way better gas mileage than a gas midsize SUV -and more power- will easily choose the highlander over the escape.

so in the end its a toss up about what people want.

Old 04-30-2006, 03:37 PM
Just Say No, to more oil

Originally Posted by tomdavie
guys
There is no comparison between the ford escape and highlander hybrid models. Ford has a peppy little SUV with excellent gas mileage for an SUV in any class. It still can move, and has room for 5 and many features. Nobody so far can touch it for true economy with a 4x4 suv body.

On the other hand, Toyota's always have by far the better resale value, and the highlander is a full blown SUV with 268 horsepower.

Those folks who want a family sized full suv like they are used to -but want way better gas mileage than a gas midsize SUV -and more power- will easily choose the highlander over the escape.

so in the end its a toss up about what people want.
I believe I eluded to that in one of my posts – just read the "new" IRS approved tax credit allows $2,600 for the Escape Hybrid 2wd and $1,950 for the 4wd, while the Toyota Highlander Hybrid allowance is $2,600 for both 2wd and 4wd (i.e. AWDi). Plus you can tow more than a baby carriage.

Seadog

Old 04-30-2006, 07:29 PM
Enthusiast
Exclamation Re: Disappointing gas mileage

Take the EPA mileage rating and reduce it by 20%. If use use gas with a 10% ethanol blend reduce it by another 5%. Toyota is currently in a debate with the EPA to issue more realistic mileage ratings. Consumer Reports is a good source of what to realistcally expect. Don't believe the sticker or any claim by a salesman.

Old 04-30-2006, 09:17 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Originally Posted by les j. sachs
Take the EPA mileage rating and reduce it by 20%. If use use gas with a 10% ethanol blend reduce it by another 5%. Toyota is currently in a debate with the EPA to issue more realistic mileage ratings. Consumer Reports is a good source of what to realistcally expect. Don't believe the sticker or any claim by a salesman.

Obviously you are new around here!
( Don't take that in a bad way... glad you're here! )

Take a look around. Most people meet or beat EPA.
But don't take my word for it. When it comes to Hybrids, the data shows the "average" driver gets 95% of EPA.

Last edited by gpsman1; 04-30-2006 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:14 PM
Enthusiast

As for the Escape/Highlander comparison. No one has mentioned the 3 star roll over rating of the Escape vs. the 4 of the Highlander. What's that mean? at the gov site it says that 3 = a 23% chance of rolling over and a 4 rating = a 17% chance.
While I drove the Escape and absolutely loved it, though the nav seems somewhat dated already, the Highlander just has more safety, room, power, features and proven reliability. A no brainer for me and my wife.

Old 05-01-2006, 08:20 AM
Enthusiast

Obviously you are new around here!
( Don't take that in a bad way... glad you're here! )

Take a look around. Most people meet or beat EPA.
But don't take my word for it. When it comes to Hybrids, the data shows the "average" driver gets 95% of EPA.

I am new here. I simply post based on my experience. The EPA says the Prius will get 55 mpg city/highway combined. Consumer Reports says their tests got 44 mpg. I average 45 mpg. I average 42-43 mpg when I use an ethanol blend. My experience and what I read in CR are the basis for my comments.

Old 05-01-2006, 08:23 AM
Enthusiast

By the way..I don't view my mpg as disappointing. 45 mpg is great for a great car.
I breeze past gas pumps, can't even remember the last time a filled up. BTW, this is my second Prius. I bought one of the originals in 2001 but it was not even close to the 2005 Prius I drive today.

Quick Reply: Disappointing gas mileage

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands