Disappointing gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 12:09 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Disappointing gas mileage

We have a prius since 2004, and now have a RX400H for about a week. I put on about 200 miles on RX400H so far, get about 26.5 MPG. There is an struction in the menu on how to drive a hybrid(It really helps!). We leared thru the experience with Prius. The key thing is to kick on the electrical motor and the MPG will improve a lot. Good Luck.

Old 04-23-2006, 06:26 AM
Happy HiHy Owner

I just got my HiHy and was very skeptical of the mileage claims. I was pleasantly surprised when my first 200 miles averaged a real 30 MPG. I always thought I had a gentle foot, but found that learning to drive this vehicle redefines light foot, especially when running on electric. Reading this forum has really helped understand how to drive for maximum efficiency without having it be an obsession to the point you negatively impact traffic flow. Both my wife and I find that we succeed by making a game of how little we can use the gas engine. Since we don't have the center console sophisticated display, we depend on the speedometer display that shows energy flow. It is just on the edge of our peripheral vision and is helping us refine our approach. I think by practicing we can even improve the mileage better. This is not a normal car and you HAVE to change the way you drive if you want to take full advantage.

Old 04-23-2006, 12:20 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jajohnson
I just got my HiHy and was very skeptical of the mileage claims. I was pleasantly surprised when my first 200 miles averaged a real 30 MPG. I always thought I had a gentle foot, but found that learning to drive this vehicle redefines light foot, especially when running on electric. Reading this forum has really helped understand how to drive for maximum efficiency without having it be an obsession to the point you negatively impact traffic flow. Both my wife and I find that we succeed by making a game of how little we can use the gas engine. Since we don't have the center console sophisticated display, we depend on the speedometer display that shows energy flow. It is just on the edge of our peripheral vision and is helping us refine our approach. I think by practicing we can even improve the mileage better. This is not a normal car and you HAVE to change the way you drive if you want to take full advantage.
thank you for your thoughts on HH mileage. Its interesting. I have found that in my typical highway/local cycle, i actually can get 25-28mpg by paying closer attention to the accelerator. its more disappointing when the driving is mostly local. the car is rated at epa 31 and we are averaging appx 21. i find that its much more difficult to modulate the accelerator and get better mileage when doing local driving.

Old 04-23-2006, 01:56 PM
Enthusiast

I'm not currently a hybrid owner, but find this site very useful for a potential buyer. My current cars are a BMW 525 (25 mpg highway and 20 combined) and an MBZ E320 (20-21 mpg combined). I'd like to get a hybrid, but I would like something that is not a small, spartan vehicle.

I think the discussion about the Lexus should be tempered with the sales pitch from Toyota: "V8 performance." I wonder if the poor mileage improvement (for hybrid) is more due to over use of the V6 versus the electric motor? Can that be adjusted? Also why a V6? Why not slight bigger electric motors and 4-cylinder engine?

The reviews that stated they were getting poor in town mileage are also interesting. The articles I read about hybrids indicate that with the kinetic energy savings and electric motor use from stops, the in town mileage goes way up and in some cases is better or equal to highway mileage. Has anybody found that? I think that the choice of the V6 again hits you there.

The Lexus looked like something that might fill the bill for a "luxury hybrid," but given the cost differential and poor mileage improvement it, it seems like a failed experiment. What is next in the "luxury hybrid" category?

Glowplug

Old 04-23-2006, 05:35 PM
Automania Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Disappointing gas mileage

Originally Posted by stuartmw
thank you for your thoughts on HH mileage. Its interesting. I have found that in my typical highway/local cycle, i actually can get 25-28mpg by paying closer attention to the accelerator. its more disappointing when the driving is mostly local. the car is rated at epa 31 and we are averaging appx 21. i find that its much more difficult to modulate the accelerator and get better mileage when doing local driving.
I don't know how many miles you hae on your HH bit it DOES get better, my last tank was over 29 MPG. It seems like it's liking the warmer weather and like everyone says it's about 5K miles before it starts showing itself. I just had my 5K mile service and also switched to Mobil 1. Hang in there.....

Old 04-23-2006, 06:11 PM
Enthusiast

its also very clear to me that when the cruise control is engaged, the HH gets much better mileage. it controls the fine line between gas and electric much more competently than i can on my own. But clearly, this is much more effective in highway than local driving

Old 04-23-2006, 08:06 PM
Geek

what do you expect, you bought a power wagon..
_H*

Old 04-24-2006, 06:14 AM
Enthusiast

The weather has had a huge impact on my mpg. In the last month the weather has gone from highs in the 40's to highs in the 60's. I have noticed that during my drive to/from work the ICE warms up much faster and this seems to allow for more driving on battery power. My mpg has gone from 22.2 to 24.6 just in the last few weeks. I expect it will improve a bit more, well, at least until I need to use the AC!

Old 04-24-2006, 01:56 PM
Just Say No, to more oil

Originally Posted by Glowplug
I'm not currently a hybrid owner, but find this site very useful for a potential buyer. My current cars are a BMW 525 (25 mpg highway and 20 combined) and an MBZ E320 (20-21 mpg combined). I'd like to get a hybrid, but I would like something that is not a small, spartan vehicle.

I think the discussion about the Lexus should be tempered with the sales pitch from Toyota: "V8 performance." I wonder if the poor mileage improvement (for hybrid) is more due to over use of the V6 versus the electric motor? Can that be adjusted? Also why a V6? Why not slight bigger electric motors and 4-cylinder engine?

Bigger electric motors means more electric power - more batteries and more weight = less mpg.

The reviews that stated they were getting poor in town mileage are also interesting. The articles I read about hybrids indicate that with the kinetic energy savings and electric motor use from stops, the in town mileage goes way up and in some cases is better or equal to highway mileage. Has anybody found that? I think that the choice of the V6 again hits you there.

Its a practical SUV - less emissions - better mpg - with room and towing capability.

The Lexus looked like something that might fill the bill for a "luxury hybrid," but given the cost differential and poor mileage improvement it, it seems like a failed experiment. What is next in the "luxury hybrid" category?

Waite for BMW or BMZ to come out with their Hybrid - that seems to be more your taste and not the practicality....

Glowplug

Old 04-24-2006, 05:42 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Those looking to buy an SUV should consider the Ford Escape Hybrid.
My 2WD is getting 33-35 MPG in Colorado Winters, and 42-45 MPG in warmer months. I do think the Ford has the largest battery pack also. It for sure has the highest voltage of any Hybrid ( 330v vs 280v in Toyota and Lexus ) and I wonder if that helps?

You just can't beat the FEH for MPG in an SUV!
-John

Quick Reply: Disappointing gas mileage

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands