anyone have an aftremarket entertainment system?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 11:10 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default anyone have an aftremarket entertainment system?

i really wanted a dvd/entertainment system in the back for the kids, but for some reason it wasn't offered for the HiHY, except on the ltd i believe.

so with 2 small kids we really want a system in the back since we plan on keeping the vehicle for 10 years (or more) and go on plenty of road trips. i'd prefer a dvd system with screens in each headrest, as this wouldn't infringe on my rear view. i haven't done my research yet. i'm guessing a decent system is ~$2K installed. anyone have any insight? thks.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:45 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: anyone have an aftremarket entertainment system?

I posted my comments in HiHy.com on the installation of a "near-production" replication for the RSES (rear seat entertainment system) from AudioVox. Purchased off eBay they are going for around $500. Installation is another $200 (local custom installer). Both Best Buy and Circuit City originally said (and then back out) of installing the unit. In a shale color, these are identical in color to the tan interior of our vehicles.

My original preference was to get 9-inch units into the headrest. Unfortunately, that size is FAR too large for these headrest. In addition, more "custom installers" want $1,500 for the units themselves. After numerous efforts, the lowest price I was able to get was around $2,200 and due to the wiring integration would also have risked warranty issues concerned with ANY wiring. In a hybrid, I decided this was a little more risky than in other cars so I opted for what most dealers would simply assume was an factory install.

One of the greatest authors of our decade stated (Chapter 9 @ 9:06:00)...
"True, they (Hybrid cars) burn less gasoline but the pollution expended in their development and production far out paces what the consumer saves by driving such a vehicle. They are merrily a ploy to give a handful of consciousnesses people a sense that they are doing their share to help the environment when in fact they are doing the opposite. They believe the mis-guided notion that technology can "somehow" save the planet when it was technology that doomed it in the first place"

Last edited by ndabunka; 04-17-2007 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

thks for the quick reply.

just so i understand you correctly, BB & CC both carry the audiovox 'near replica' version including the in-dash housing? (i prefer not to ebay)

as far as i know, either system taps into the 12V battery and wouldn't interfere with the hybrid components, but you're right - should an unrelated electrical problem happen, the stealership might try to deny the factory w'tee. last time i was there those bastards were telling me i should be changing my fuel filter every 15K. they said it with a straight face, as if i just fell off a turnip truck or something.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yep, some do carry some audioVox units but at the time I bought mine I wanted a larger screen (we had previously had a 7.5" central screen in the GX and wanted something larger) so when I found the 10.2" AudioVox one on eBay (from an authorized dealer) for $375 I jumped on it. In the end, mine was less than $600 and included the 2 wireless (IR) headsets and the larger screen. The CC & BB's of hte world wanted $800+ installation for their and in may cases they were lower quality screens than audiovox. My recommendation if you do decide to buy one of the ones they offer is to look at it from the side to see if the screen is viewable "off-center". I was surprised with the JVC, Sony and even one of the older lower end audioVox's didn't give a good picture. The LAST thing I wanted was for my kids to continually say "we can't see it" if there was ambient light (during the daytime).

Here's the actual link to the "other site"
http://www.hybridchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=953

Old 04-18-2007, 10:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

i read your other thread & i see you're not entirely satisfied with the audiovox. apparently lots of other people are having issues w/this unit as well -
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Custo...Review.do#tabs

Old 04-18-2007, 04:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hmm, here's what I posted..."We are "fairly" happy with the AudioVox unit but it does not "auto-resume" as it is suppose too. The installer confirmed with AudioVox that there is probably a small error in the computer chip as the frequency and other issues are maintained, it just does not hold the "last position plaed" correctly. So, the unit will probably be pulled down, shipped back to AudioVox and reprogrammed. Returned to me and I will put it back up there." Granted, the auto-resume should work as advertised but to be honest, it really hasn't even been a big enough factor for me to take it down at this point. Certianly not a "bad" unit. The display is VERY good. Not certain why, where (or even what) those other buyers were referencing with their problems but it certainly does not sound like the same unit we have.

I see the problem. That is NOT the unit I have. Mine does not have a "removable screen" but rather has a built in unit screen (MVS1023). It doesn't have a removable screen (nor the problems the others state).

Last edited by ndabunka; 04-18-2007 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

thks for the clarification & your help. i'm gunning for 0 issues, total satisfaction. tall order & i bet i end up spending more than you, but that's how life works. i'll probably go w/screens in the headrests since too many people w/2 kids in the back are telling me one is always complaining that they can't see the screen that well (in the sienna version anyway). when i go through w/this project i'll be sure to post up the results. cheers.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

OK, I can certainly understand your approach and would offer you one more aspect you may want to consider. If you get two screens, you may also want two separate DVD players as well if your kids are different ages or different sexes, they will probably not be happy watching the same thing (even if it is on two different screens). Some of the headrest units also have individual DVD's in each unit. You will also need units capable of having isolate IR channels (so that each kid can listen to each DVD on wireless headphones)

Old 04-20-2007, 12:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by petesell
i see you're not entirely satisfied with the audiovox. apparently lots of other people are having issues w/this unit as well -
I wonder if it's a quality issue with Audiovox? A few months ago, I purchased an in-car DVD system by Audiovox. In less than an hour, I lost the picture. I tried resetting it, switching screens, and even contacting their tech support. They told me to send it back to them with a check for some unusual and unbelievable amount for it to be fixed under their 90 day warranty. I don't remember the amount, but I just returned it to the store for a full refund. With my refund, I bought another Audiovox product but a different model. Again, within a day, the picture on the screen got compressed into a thin strip on the side of the screen. Tapping on the side of the screen moved the pic over a bit, but it was still compressed. I returned that unit as well. After being burned twice in one day, I swore off Audiovox products.

Now, I'm looking for another brand in-car DVD system. Anyone have one that they really like? I'd prefer to find one that straps to the back of the headrests, or something like it. I need it to be portable so I can transfer it between my van and car when needed.