Amateur Radio in Highlander Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 01:39 PM
Just Say No, to more oil
Default Amateur Radio in Highlander Hybrid

Has anyone installed any Amateur Radio equipment in a Highlander Hybird? I'm looking for some hints on running a power cable direct from the 12v battery (any Idea why Toyota says to have them replace this battery)? Toyota is also confusing in what their policy is. One statement from HQ said they support it as long as less than 100watts and good shielding/grounding - another said absolutely no aftermarket equipment/modifications.

Going to install a IC-706MKIIG with 2mt/70cm Diamond and Tarheel II on rear tail gate. Remote head to the front - base in the back.

Tnx,
Seadog

Old 03-05-2006, 04:57 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Amateur Radio in Highlander Hybrid

well, good luck with that OM. I've got an '03 Prius and gave up on HF operation from the thing .. 2M/70cm OK, but the noise (I'm guessing from the inverter) is horrendous ..

73 de w1rt/john

Old 03-05-2006, 09:04 PM
Enthusiast

Zeke,

were you connected directly to the 12 battery? no filter or suppressor?

I have a new 06 prius and want to emulate you, also on 2m/70cm. any suggestions for the noisey invertor?

73 de KT6L/Grant

Old 03-06-2006, 07:24 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by grant_MH
Zeke,

were you connected directly to the 12 battery? no filter or suppressor?
10 gauge directly to battery (about 1 feet), radio in trunk right next to battery box, remote head in front. I didn't play too hard to get it to work. I've got a friend (NA3J) who actually got decent results in his '02 by building a bracket out of Al square tubing, bolted to the shipping padeye and braced to the trunk lip .. he claims the noise levels are down to 'tolerable'. I get the feeling that bonding of body panels might be part of the problem, but at least up to '03 the thickness of the trunk metal is such that it's tough to support an ATAS on it anyway

Old 03-07-2006, 08:43 PM
Enthusiast

I've had my HT's in the HiHy and so far no problems. I plan on moving my D700A into it soon, but can't decide where to mount the radio. In my old Highlander I just had it under the center console with the head loose in the cup holders.

I have read online about some folks having success with HF in hybrids. Typically it's no small task bonding body parts and grounding everything once can imagine. Guess I'll be sticking to VHF/UHF for now.

Anyone want to share some pictures of a successful install?

Adam S
KU9Z

Old 03-08-2006, 12:58 PM
Just Say No, to more oil

I got my IC-706 installed in the HiHy. I was hoping to place the base unit
in the rear area under the jack covers - but there wasn't enough room. I mounted it on the right side and I am temporarily using the rear power outlet for operation only on 2mtrs/70cm - that outlet won't handle the current for HF. I mounted the head with "sticky tape" on the ash tray cover - below the shift lever. If that cover can be purchased for a reasonable price - I will get an extra one and drill holes and place the mounting bracket on. When warmer weather comes I will dig around and try to find a way to route a power cable direct from the aux battery to the base unit.

The control head cable I just dressed around the edges and then under the rear matt - up the edge of the console and then up to the head.

The 2mtr/70cm dual antenna is a diamond with the diamond mount on the rear tail gate (right side).

I'll post some pictures a little latter - and hopefully have the power cable problem solved.

Rod
W4RAH

Old 05-09-2006, 01:14 PM
Just Say No, to more oil

As promised picts of my installation are at:

http://www.qsl.net/w4rah/Highlander.htm

Still haven't got the rig powered directly off of the aux battery - using the power port in the rear - no problems with VHF/UHF as far as power draw (the DC power outlets are really fused at 20A - but the VHF/UHF doesn't draw near that - and 50W on HF is okay). Also need some serious shielding/filtering for HF. Lots of noise.

W4RAH

Last edited by Seadog; 05-09-2006 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ok - I finally got a mobile and have it installed. I have a Yaesu FT-7800. Since it's my only radio other than my handheld, I wanted it where I could easily access it and bring it inside for when I want to operate from home. For now, I'm just using a magmount antenna (short enough so that I can still use my garage) so no details provided for that.

I checked out the spacing and the radio fits just perfectly in the open area below the center console. Because I want to be able to remove it easily, we simply used double-stick tape to affix the mounting bracket in that space (pretty tight fit even without the tape); we then placed a small piece of wood in the bracket (again with double stick tape) to raise the radio up a bit and provide better air flow.

I put the head unit in the space above the ashtray and below the gearshift.

The wiring is directly off the battery - we routed it past the brake fluid reservoir, along the stablilzer bar, and through the firewall on the drivers side. There is a rubber gasket with a large group of wires going through at this point, we simply cut another hole through the gasket and threaded the wiring through here. The wires are then tucked under the dash area and come out just next to the center console. There is a cluster of wires just about where the wires come out at the center console, we used these to secure the wires using tie-bands.

Note: "We" above essentially refers to my good friend, W0DSV, who did the installation for me

A few pictures:
The headunit:

Radio Mounted:

Wiring across the stablizer bar:

Through the Firewall: