All Weather Mats / Rear DVD ?s

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 09:51 AM
Enthusiast
Default All Weather Mats / Rear DVD ?s

Just helped my mom pick out a loaded '09 Toyota Highlander Hybrid ... Blizzard Pearl w/bisque interior. Has anyone had luck finding all-weather mats? The OEM mats for the hybrid seem to ONLY come in black. I think I might get her the tan WeatherTech mats that cover practically all the carpet ... anyone have any experience with them?

Does anyone have any comments on how the rear DVD system operates? +s/-s ... likes dislikes ... suggestions?

I tried to teach her some techniques in my Prius the other day as hers is yet to arrive ... hopefully she can manage once she gets hers in.

Anyone with both a Prius and Highlander care to comment on how they differ as far as driving? I mean, I understand the major differences but as far as optimal speeds for hypermiling, etc? the Prius seems to work best (for hypermiling) b/t 35-40mpg (and under of course). About the same with the Highlander?

Thanks and sorry for the barrage of questions.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:14 AM
Automania Enthusiast
Default Re: All Weather Mats / Rear DVD ?s

I have an 08 HH Limited the same colors. I got the Weathertech mats for the seat areas and the Toyota rear mat, I too was not happy the rear most mat only coming in Black (unless you get the carpet one), but liked it better then the Weathertech rear mat for the cargo area, having had it in my 06. The Toyota rear mat makes it easier to get at the spare tire and doesn't have that 2" lip all the way around like on the Weathertech, which becomes a pain with the seats all the way down. I do prefer the Wethertech's for the front beter as in the sloppy weather they do a better job of keep your carpets clean Vs the Toyota front ones.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:00 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you for the reply ... with your recommendation I bought the WeatherTech mats ... I didn't get the cargo mat, but I did get her the 3rd row seats floor mat (probably never get used). Glad to hear they fit well! Thanks again!

Old 06-16-2009, 01:47 AM
Enthusiast

I put weathertech mats in mine (tan) and have been very pleased with them. (Cargo mat too)

I have driven friends prius as well as a friends HH (he said he couldn't get the milage I was getting but now he is- see below). Maxmium milage in both vehicles seems to be somewhere in the 40 MPH range.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have done lots of hours and miles
of testing (hazzards of going to college to be an an engineer) and here is how to get the best milage out of your Highlander (I routinely average 27-31mpg with a 2006 Highlander Hybrid LTD)

1. Inflate your tires to the maximum pressure it says on the sidewalls (this will improve your milage)

2. Adjust your driving techniques. Here is an easy method. Put your cell phone up on the center of the dash. (The hump right above the clock works great) Now drive conservatively enough that your cell phone does not slide out of place or off the dash. This will teach you to drive in the mannor you need in order to dramatically improve your milage (keeping the KW needle as close to the hashed line markings as possible when accelerating).

3.Here is a rule of thumb to use- My Highlander gets 40MPG at 40 miles per hour. For every two miles per hour faster than that (or 2 miles per hour of headwind) the milage will drop by about 1 MPG. 55 MPH is an excellent speed to drive to get great gas mileage - about 30-32MPG. Give it a try!

At 75 MPH my milage drops to about 21-22.

4. Leave the heat, airconditioning, electric seats off. (heat is fine after the vehicle has warmed up on its own).

5. Choose regular gasoline- not gasohol as your milage will be lower with the gasohol blend.

6. Don't carry a lot of extra weight in the vehicle.

Last edited by 1SG Scott; 06-16-2009 at 01:50 AM. Reason: spelling