All Season Or Summer Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 06:17 PM
Enthusiast
Default All Season Or Summer Tires?

I'm a new HH owner (3 weeks), and so far I love it! Mine came with the Micheline M+S (all season) tires, which I presume is fairly standard. Is there any advantage to putting "summer" tires on to improve either performance or mileage once winter is over? It handled like a champ on a trip across Virginia's piedmont in last Friday's late winter snow and ice storm!

Old 03-18-2007, 07:32 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: All Season Or Summer Tires?

I have the Michelin's on my vehicle and I live in a warm climate. I don't see any need to switch tires personally. I like the ride and handling of the current Michelin's as is. You may be able to get a MPG increase, but I am no so sure the increase in MPG will be worth the expense associate with the extra set of tires.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Craig'sHH
Is there any advantage to putting "summer" tires on to improve either performance or mileage once winter is over?

The Michelins on the HIHy are already low-rolling-resistance tires. Changing them out to a standard summer tire may actually cost you in gas mileage. Rolling resistance is not necessarily better with summer tires. rolling resistance is related to the tire carcass construction more than the tread design.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:41 AM
Enthusiast

I didn't think it would be worth the effort/expense of changing tires. Thanks for confirming!

Old 04-17-2007, 11:02 AM
Active Enthusiast

i run 255/55/18s on tsw rims in the summer. i do this for a couple reasons, but mostly because we usually have heavier car in the summer - wife, 2 kids & luggage on several road trips. the oe 225's are fine & will yield better mileage no doubt, but at higher speeds with a full load i want better handling & stopping performance & the only way to do that is with a wider, lower profile summer tire. they look MUCH better as well as the 225's seem too skinny for this size vehicle.

DSCN0629.jpg

Old 04-17-2007, 06:14 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Pete! I agree - those 255's look terrific! Thanks for sharing.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have 2 sets of tires. One for the winter months, and the other for everything else (performance oriented). The "summer" tires do great in the wet and dry conditions. As for FE improvement, it's about the same. But the extra handling in the wet is worth it IMO.