youtube video from a dissatisfied owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 02:01 PM
HSD Organic Interface
Default Re: youtube video from a dissatisfied owner

I think the entire discussion he had concerning the engine brake is misleading and nothing really to do with anything. I doubt the car mistakenly "activated the engine brake". His car lost power and it slowed down, they tend to do that.

The reference to fuel economy I give a neutral rating. Sudbury is freaking cold and not a huge city. You don't get much further north without needing a float plane so if you're running around doing short trips its going to suck. But of course lacking is a good frame of reference. I also have a Sienna mini-van, it gets worse in the winter too. But it's always consistently twice as bad as the Camry whether it's summer cruising or freezing blizzard. Compared to an Accord? Well no doubt he's fondly remembering the Accord at it's best results, not the day to day typical results. I remember getting 33mpg in my old V8 firebird (measured because it was a great drive and I was expecting it to be good), but don't know what it got under typical driving conditions, but I'm sure it was a helluva lot worse.

He's had issues and yes, it sucks. I've had enough new cars with "issues" too. My Camry was an early June 06 car too, but except for really minor stuff its been fault free. He needs to vent and fancies himself a bit of a film producer based on his many angled video of him just talking, so if it helps doing the youtube thing, so be it.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

First of all no way would I buy a hybrid demo or program car from a dealer. I doubt I would buy one even if they threw in a extended warranty for free.

It would be interesting to spend a few hours riding around with him behind the wheel. I never seen a anyone that can get better gas mileage from a V6 than when driving a Camry hybrid.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:47 AM
Enthusiast

$2100 Dollars for a fuel pump????? Is that right?

Old 03-04-2008, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by jvmpc
$2100 Dollars for a fuel pump????? Is that right?
If it is in the gas tank, which it is, it can get expensive....Most of this is labor and it all depends on who you go to and what the labor rate is.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
If it is in the gas tank, which it is, it can get expensive....Most of this is labor and it all depends on who you go to and what the labor rate is.
another plus for an extended waranty......................

Old 03-04-2008, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by acco20
another plus for an extended waranty......................

New-Car Extended Warranty Caution

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2008 - 04:12 PM

BY Consumer Reports

These days more people who are buying a new car are buying an extended warranty. But is it worth the thousand dollars or so?

Consumer Reports surveyed 8,000 of its readers about extended warranties purchased on new 2001 and 2002 vehicles. About two-thirds of them said the extended warranty did not pay off.

The extended warranties cost on average $1,000, but only provided an average benefit of $700. That’s a net loss of $300. Forty-two percent of the people in the survey didn’t use the extended warranty at all, mainly because they didn’t need repairs or because the manufacturers’ standard warranty covered the repair.

If you’re buying a new car, Consumer Reports says your best bet is to buy a vehicle with a good record of reliability, so that you can skip the extended warranty.

Consumer Reports can help you find a reliable vehicle. It predicts the reliability of new cars based on its subscriber survey, which covers more than a million vehicles. This year Honda came out on top as the most reliable vehicle manufacturer overall.

Consumer Reports has no commercial relationship with any advertiser or sponsor appearing on this Web site.
from various new sources including this one

Old 03-04-2008, 04:24 PM
Enthusiast

I agree with other posts about the engine braking. If he was traveling at high speed and the engine kicked out, the car is going to slow down. I purchased my car March of last year and experienced a similar situation last July. All the dash lights lit up while I was driving North on the Ryan Expressway. I was only traveling approx. 40 MPH, but the electric motor did all it could before I finally had the chance to pull over. I turned the car off and restarted, drove straight to the dealer. The dealer found nothing, cleared the codes, and thankfully I have not had a problem since.

As for extended warranties, I agree they probably do not pay off for the current owner, but should you decide to get rid of the vehicle, they are transferable and will add to the resale value.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by usajar
As for extended warranties, I agree they probably do not pay off for the current owner, but should you decide to get rid of the vehicle, they are transferable and will add to the resale value.
They also offer piece of mind for some. I normally don't get them on things but I got it for about 900 and figured it might be good to get given the newish nature of this car's technology (even though it has been in the Prius for years).

Old 03-05-2008, 07:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

Common sense shows that one will on average lose with any insurance (and an extended warranty is an insurance policy). If that weren't the case, the insurers would go out of business.

What you are buying is protection against catastrophic loss. The general rule is that if you can afford the loss, don't buy the insurance.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by talmy
The general rule is that if you can afford the loss, don't buy the insurance.
That would be my other problem...darn student loans....LOL

Quick Reply: youtube video from a dissatisfied owner

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands