XM/Sirius Install on '07 TCH

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 07:56 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: XM/Sirius Install on '07 TCH

Originally Posted by usahelmut
I'm kind of surprised that you are all having issues with your sattelite radio installations.

As I mentioned in a previous post, the selling dealer's sales manager told me that they would not be able to install until some time in September.

I went to Rockland Toyota in Nanuet, NY and they actually had both kits (XM and Sirius) in stock. I had requested and XM radio but initially they installed the Sirius. I had to wait another 2 hours for them to remove and replace. A little inconvenience. The reason I selected XM is that I alreay had a subscription to XM from my previous car.

The installation is integrated with the NAV screen. There is nothing external to the car. I understand that the receiver is in the trunk somewhere, I did not watch them install it, and there is a small atenna on the rear deck behind the seats. I actually did not notice it for a few days. I kept looking for it. It is a little black *** sitting there with some velcro I image.

The radio works fine and I love the Camry Hybrid.
XM will refund any unused portion at a prorated rate. I too have XM, but my TCH will get Sirius, my dealer has special, free Sirius and then first 9 months free!! The dealer is Atlanta Toyota.

Old 07-22-2006, 01:18 PM
"Silver Bullet" Owner

Originally Posted by Bumzyman
I don't know if the XM interface does this but with Sirius it cuts off the artist and title names at 10 characters. I don't get it; if you play an mp3 it will display the whole long file name and the ID3 Artist and Title info without truncating. Looks to me like it’s a limitation of the tuner box and not the head unit (I have the NAV version).
I also sadly discovered the "10 character" limitation after my XM installation. Here is what I found out. JBL said they manufacture the system, but the final specs are set by Toyota. XM stated that they do not restrict the number of characters. Finally, after a few calls to Toyota, I found out the reason. XM was first available in the Camry Solara that did not have the nav system & thus was limited to 10 characters. They took that hardware, firmware, etc. & put it into the Camry. I told them that was a poor engineering decision. I asked if there was a firmware or software fix available or planned. They said "No."

Last edited by ronr; 07-22-2006 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:39 PM
Enthusiast
Exclamation Sirius radio glitches

My TCH came with Sirius pre installed from the port. I did not order this feature so therfore I did not have to pay anything extra. It did come with a few bugs (didn't work at all for 2 weeks) so I took it back to the dealer to have them sort it out. An hour later it was up and running (loose conection) however whenever I turn off the car, I loose all my sat. radio presets. I guess I have to take it back again. Eh, thats what happens when you get something for free I guess. The antenna is a small tastefully designed black box inside the car on the windshield next to the mirror and all tuning is done through the factory stereo (navigation model). Hopefully I can get the preset glitch fixed, it's a pain to reach over and tune through over 100 channels while driving.

Old 07-22-2006, 02:28 PM
Enthusiast

Wondering if anyone is having the same problem I am:

Got XM istalled this last week, dealer gave me a good deal $238 install, but I am having terrible drop out when I am driving directly East or West. Dealer has done some calling for me and they claim that it is because I have tinted windows. Antenna is located inside car on rear deck behind the vent cover for the hybrid batteries.

Frustrating as hell, I had a XM SkyFi in my previous car and just put that one in my wifes Oddessy van when I got the new TCH. I instlled that and have never had this problem. But I have always installed the antenna on the exterior of the car.

Seems wrong to have the antenna mounted on in the inside of the car.

Old 07-22-2006, 03:38 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 12punch

Got XM istalled this last week, dealer gave me a good deal $238 install, but I am having terrible drop out when I am driving directly East or West. Dealer has done some calling for me and they claim that it is because I have tinted windows. Antenna is located inside car on rear deck behind the vent cover for the hybrid batteries.

Frustrating as hell, I had a XM SkyFi in my previous car and just put that one in my wifes Oddessy van when I got the new TCH. I instlled that and have never had this problem. But I have always installed the antenna on the exterior of the car.

I had this concern, and found out there is a new 3M product called Presteige window tinting that has no metal in it. Had a dealer put that on my TCH since I have lots of extra electronics in my car and was fearful that might happen. It works great (i.e., no antenna interference) and looks good.
Alternatively, you can have them put the antenna in the front glass on the right side of the mirror that is not tinted.

Old 07-23-2006, 04:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 12punch

You said that the antenna is on the rear deck behind the battery vent? Is it mounted to a piece of metal that is on top of this deck, or is it just sitting on the deck itself?

The reason that I ask is that there is supposed to be a metal "ground plane" for the antenna to attach to. This is the nature of these antennas - the ground plane allows for proper reception.

I have an XM Roady XT that I installed in my TCH, and I routed the antenna to the roof, centered on the car, just above the rear window. I started it out on the rear trunklid, but mounted it higher to get better reception. Mine does drop out when I drive under a canopy of trees - especially on East/West roads.

Last edited by spiff72; 07-23-2006 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:07 PM
Enthusiast

I've had XM (antenna installed inside on the rear shelf with ground plane) for about 6 weeks - no drop outs other than what Jeff encounters also....namely momentary loss next to big trees or buidings to the south at locations where there are no nearby ground repeaters.

Old 07-23-2006, 05:26 PM
Enthusiast

I asked if there was a firmware or software fix available or planned. They said "No."
Essentially the same reply I got from Toyota regarding the Sat Rad interface limitations from my e-mail inquiry. They did state these inquiries go into consideration for future updates. At the slow pace Toyota is integrating XM into the fleet as a factory install, maybe they'll have a better antenna and JBL/Nav interface in the next generation TCH?

Old 07-24-2006, 06:27 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Joe.B
I had this concern, and found out there is a new 3M product called Presteige window tinting that has no metal in it. Had a dealer put that on my TCH since I have lots of extra electronics in my car and was fearful that might happen. It works great (i.e., no antenna interference) and looks good.
Alternatively, you can have them put the antenna in the front glass on the right side of the mirror that is not tinted.
Can you have this installed on just the rear window and get away with it. I am not wanting to replace the tinting on all the windows. I never assumedor researched that there is metal in the tinting itself.

Old 07-24-2006, 06:31 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spiff72
You said that the antenna is on the rear deck behind the battery vent? Is it mounted to a piece of metal that is on top of this deck, or is it just sitting on the deck itself?

The reason that I ask is that there is supposed to be a metal "ground plane" for the antenna to attach to. This is the nature of these antennas - the ground plane allows for proper reception.

I have an XM Roady XT that I installed in my TCH, and I routed the antenna to the roof, centered on the car, just above the rear window. I started it out on the rear trunklid, but mounted it higher to get better reception. Mine does drop out when I drive under a canopy of trees - especially on East/West roads.

There is a "black" plate under the antenna, but I have not crawled back there to see if it is metal I would assume so.

The dealer told me that the antenna could not be located on of the car or metal surfaces but to interferance from the Hybrid system. I find that hard to believe and as you say the XM system need to be sitting on a metal plane.

Quick Reply: XM/Sirius Install on '07 TCH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands