Wrong home address

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 07:35 PM
Enthusiast
Default Wrong home address

Picked up my TCH last Friday, the 22nd, and when I pulled into my driveway the nav showed the street address as 1009. 2 problems, no such address on my street and my address is 1061!!!! I registered my home address as 1061 and the map shows my home icon a little over 1/10 mile east of my house in the middle of woods. Any suggestions or ideas? Anyone else have similar problem.

Old 06-30-2007, 07:41 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Wrong home address

Mine does the same thing. By address it shows me living 3 houses down. It appears to be more a map issue than a GPS issue. The system is only as good as the map system it uses. GIGO

Old 07-01-2007, 01:00 AM
Enthusiast

Count me in...Just got my TCH last week and when trying to set my home address in the nav, I rec'd a message stating house number did not exist on street. My street number is 109, but the system has it as 154. All the houses on my street are in the low 100s, none going beyond 120. However, this map system has all the houses in the 150s and 160s. Go figure

Old 07-01-2007, 11:50 AM
Enthusiast

At least you have your houses on the right street. My address shows me about a mile away in the parking lot of a park.

My office building address is not recognized even though the building has been there about 4-5 years. A number of the street addresses I put in do not show up as existing.

As well, the street addresses when I am driving are typically off.

I agree this seems to be a problem with the map data they are using. Does it seem global or just in some geographies? I'm in Vancouver, BC, Canada.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I'm in Ottawa, and I'm finding that there's a lot of errors on the map. Outside of the city itself, it's pretty much useless. Everywhere I go, I keep getting the message that because of insufficient data, turn-by-turn directions can't be provided. Right now I'm in Peterborough, Ont. (pop. ~90,000) and although it shows most of the streets on the map, it only provides guidance on about 10% of them. So far, it's been a real letdown.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:19 PM
Enthusiast

All NAV or GPS systems have this problem. That is, they interpolate address numbers with areas or end-points such as streets. You can always enter your current position at your house as home to be the most accurate. On some other systems you can name this kind of an entry anything you want, such as "Home" with your correct address. Unfortuneately, with the Camry Nav, while you can list the name as "Home", the system will not let you change its address description. A design flaw, but not too big a deal.This does show the limitation of the maps when looking for specific addresses. They will be off at times.Jeff

Old 07-01-2007, 02:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bvbernard
At least you have your houses on the right street. My address shows me about a mile away in the parking lot of a park.

My office building address is not recognized even though the building has been there about 4-5 years. A number of the street addresses I put in do not show up as existing.

As well, the street addresses when I am driving are typically off.

I agree this seems to be a problem with the map data they are using. Does it seem global or just in some geographies? I'm in Vancouver, BC, Canada.
Which DVD do you have with your system? Is it the 5.1 with the over-ride function or is it the newer 6.1 with the over-ride function disabled?

Mine came with 5.1 and when pointed out to my dealer here in Calgary that there was an update they got it for me at no cost. I was expecting it to be 5.1.1 but it was 6.1 with the newer maps.

There were places in Alberta that have been there for forty years that were not on the 5.1 maps but at least they are on the 6.1 version.

That being said I am heading for Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper at the end of the month and none of the hotels we have booked are in the POI database and when I put in the address for the first place in Banff it states that even the address does not exist.

For what Toyota charges ($2700 Cdn) for the Nav system it is a major disappointment. No energy screens and Toyota Canada has no inclination to give them to us. Plus the mapping software is pathetically lacking.

Love the car, think the Nav was a complete waste of money.

Old 07-01-2007, 07:13 PM
Enthusiast

I have the 6.1 version.

I have used the Magellan GPS system and never had the type of problems I have with this NAV system. I agree with you, love the car but the NAV is crippled.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:36 AM
Lurking

Originally Posted by Green-Jeff
All NAV or GPS systems have this problem.

I have a Garmin Nuvi for portable navigation and I've never had it take me to an incorrect street or address. The map database has been accurate in 3 states so far and in Windsor CA.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by srothfuss
I have a Garmin Nuvi for portable navigation and I've never had it take me to an incorrect street or address. The map database has been accurate in 3 states so far and in Windsor CA.
I have not had the TCH NAV system take me to an incorrect address either.

For what it's worth, I have had my TCH for 1 year now, and it has my first every NAV system. So my experiences are admittedly limited. (What is it that say about the one's "first time"? ) It find that it does have weaknesses...ex: my street doesn't exist, according to it (but it IS a private street, and the street was only a year or 2 old when I got v5.1. Was hoping 6.1 would have it, but no such luck)

However, I know how to get home without the NAV system . Actually, I have marked HOME, and it gets me to the gated entry of my subdivision, although it is a little unnerving to see my home have a different street name and number than reality.

I bought the NAV equiped TCH specifically for the energy screens, but now, would probably not buy another car without NAV...limitations of the built-ins not withstanding. (Probably wouldn't buy another car without a Hybrid badge on the fender either!)

Quick Reply: Wrong home address

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands