WIRED Hybrid comparison

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 06:30 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: WIRED Hybrid comparison

WIRED (as usual) comes off as a grownup pathetically trying to impress the kids with their hipness ("...blows away the Camry..., "..a killer value.."). I guess only squares would value a quiet ride and reliability.

To me, the fact that they consider a Bose stereo something to covet kind of says it all..

Old 04-26-2007, 06:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

This may sound like a little sour grapes, but it seems like they drove the TCH first, and then the Altima. Everyone on this (or any other) board knows it takes some practice to learn how to drive an HSD car.

Given the similar drivetrain technology, there doesn't appear to be any way to justify a 5 mpg difference between the Altima and the TCH, unless you don't understand what you are doing when driving the TCH.

I call BS on the writer of the article.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Freeze
I should have purchased an Altima since it clearly doubles as a boat based on the photo that Kris posted.

Amen!

Old 04-26-2007, 08:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by finbib
This may sound like a little sour grapes, but it seems like they drove the TCH first, and then the Altima. Everyone on this (or any other) board knows it takes some practice to learn how to drive an HSD car.

Given the similar drivetrain technology, there doesn't appear to be any way to justify a 5 mpg difference between the Altima and the TCH, unless you don't understand what you are doing when driving the TCH.

It's all just marketing. In the computer world, manufacturers send "free" samples to groups all the time where other may charge. Those that send "free" samples expect nothing but praise.

In my opinion, Nissian has gone down the tubes since being bought. My girlfriend really really wanted a Murano. After the test drive, it was clear that quality was missing. She ended up with the RAV4. I do think Toyota could have made some changes to the RAV4 to make much better (eCVT).

Old 04-26-2007, 11:36 AM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

Originally Posted by finbib

When I saw this article the other day, I immediately said to myself that they did not drive the cars more than a few miles (if that).

Nissan must have sweetened the pot a little.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:09 PM
Enthusiast

Car and Driver April test of the Altima Hybrid did not do very well in the MPG. They said and I quote "In our comparo, the Altima averaged 24 mpg. The hybrid’s average, which included test-track thrashing, was a dismal 23 mpg. We occasionally got the mpg gauge to nudge over 30 mpg, but not by much." Hope the link works for those who wish to look.
http://www.caranddriver.com/shortroa...ma-hybrid.html

Old 04-27-2007, 09:31 PM
Enthusiast

Four days after picking up my TCH I went to the Vancouver Auto show. I saw the new Altima Hybrid and couldn't believe they wanted as much money for it as the Camry. The Altima's interior is definitely ugly looking to me. Furthermore the seats were very uncomfortable.
One other thing I noticed was the sound of the doors. They feel like the sheet metal is thinner or they are not well dampened for noise.
I gave myself a pat on the back for making the right choice.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:04 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I'm in Washington State, so I don't have the ability to test drive the Altima hybrid. I don't know why Nissan has chosen to market the hybrid in a handful of states unless it's just a way to raise their CAFE for the states it's offered in. That would be unfortunate marketing becuase it keeps hybrids from being mainstream. Still, I think it's great that another car company comes on-line with a hybrid.