Who's Sorry Now?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 04:07 PM
Professional Hacker
Default Re: Who's Sorry Now?

I love mine. I wanted NAV without Leather... but I had to get the leather.... I'm LOVING it now. No remorse at all.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Enthusiast

Two weeks ago I sold one gas-guzzling vehicle, traded in another, and walked away with a 2009 Barcelona Red TCH with no money out of pocket.

I drove my daily 50-mile round trip commute for two weeks until I had to fill up today after 515 miles (with some fumes to spare!). I got about 36 1/2 MPG on the first tank which is nearly double the combined average gas mileage of my other two vehicles.

I turned two cars into one and reduced my annual car insurance by $1,000.

I have more money in my pocket every month.

I am happy and not the least bit sorry.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:57 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I love my car, and not to rain on our parade, but most new car owners love their cars.
The average age of TCHs owned by the members in this forum, just guessing, is about one year old.
If you ask the owner of most cars how they feel about their one year old cars, I'll bet they say they love it.
My friend loves his Bentley (although it's been in the shop a few times and has been replaced) even though he gets only 9MPG. Another friend loves her Cooper Mini S (she, also, absolutely loves her Surburban). Another friend loves her Miata MX5. One other friend loves his BMW X3. My parents love their Honda Accord.
As a matter of fact, I don't know of one friend who has a relatively new car that doesn't "absolutely love their car".
IMHO people love new cars. They don't start hating their cars until they start having mechanical problems, which usually starts north of 100,000 miles. Starting with the Japanese invasion of the car market (Toyota, Honda, etc.) in the mid 1980's car quality picked up drastically and their useful life span improved greatly.
So, as much as I love my TCH, asking in a forum of, any new car, enthusiasts whether they love their car, is like asking a southerner if he loves NASCAR, or asking a Mac user whether he loves OS X (trust me, they're all fanatics about their computers, I am, too!) or asking someone from San Diego if they like the weather or asking someone at a World Cup tournament if he likes soccer.
It's a loaded question.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

Larry,

It depends.... With my last Volvo and with the same mileage as the TCH (16,000 miles) the S80 had been in the shop a total of 17 times, had the front struts, ball joints, one engine mount, throttle body, cooling fan motor and traction control/ABS computer replaced.

I hated that car more than anything that I have ever driven (or in this case, pushed, pulled and towed).

Since that time the Honda Pilot (Wifes car @65,000 miles), Honda Accord (Oldest girls car @70,000 miles), Honda Civic (youngest girls @20,000) and my TCH have NEVER, EVER been back to the dealer since the day we drove them off of the lot.

That is TRUE love, NO PROBLEMS..... The great mileage of the TCH is just a bonus...

Old 08-09-2008, 09:17 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
I love my car, and not to rain on our parade, but most new car owners love their cars.
There is one minor flaw in you statistical assumption. It looks like you may have over looked owners of American cars...

In 2004 I bought a Saturn L300 V-6. The car is essentially a Saab 9-3, re-badged and sold as a GM car. Nice brakes. GREAT handling!!

Day 1 Taking it home, the wheels almost fell off due to lug nuts coming loose.

After 1 month the transmission started bucking and slamming, especially in reverse. 3 trips to the dealer with no resolution and I started brandishing Lemon Law in their faces. On the fourth visit they had a GM factory rep come out. By flushing the fluid they claim to have 'fixed' the problem. They offered no explanation for what was fixed.... just told me that "sometimes this fixes the problem.

On my way home I'm powering through a yellow light off the ramp from E/B I-10 to North Indian Hill when the transmission took an immediate dump and the car stopped moving forward. I looked to my left and there was a fully loaded cement mixer southbound on Indian Hill aimed right at me. Suddenly the car lurched forward.

It turns out those morons left me 3 quarts low on trans fluid. The centrifugal force of sliding through 90 degrees at a good speed sloshed whatever fluid was left up and away from the pump.

6 months in my A/C stopped working. The dealer charged me $95 claiming that my battery cables were slightly loose.

The very next day the A/C quit again. This time they found a faulty pressure switch.... then they had the nerve to try and charge me again!

A few months later the engine developed an internal leak at an integrated oil cooler and my oil and coolant started mixing together forming mayonnaise inside my engine.

Dealer had the car for 4 days to fix that one.

Next the car started having acceleration drop outs while under load, like when you are climbing an on-ramp to the freeway. The fly-by-wire system just cut out randomly. The dealer said: "cannot reproduce problem".

Finally... I was sitting in a DC one morning, waiting for a truck I was suppose to inspect. I had the A/C on and was doing some paperwork when I notice the sweet smell of coolant being burned nearby.

That's when I snapped.

I blew off the truck and got back on I-15 until I saw the Toyota Dealer. I got off the freeway and met this young kid at 08.30 in the morning who was still struggling to get his tie on. I told him: "Forget the tie kid. you want to make a fast sale?" I gave him exactly 90 minutes to get me into a decent car. With some help from his management they met my requirements and by 10AM my nightmare was over.

I ~HATED~ that GM POS from the day I bought it.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:22 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
Larry,

It depends.... With my last Volvo and with the same mileage as the TCH (16,000 miles) the S80 had been in the shop a total of 17 times, had the front struts, ball joints, one engine mount, throttle body, cooling fan motor and traction control/ABS computer replaced.
OMG!!! I used to have to do all that work on those cars. We actually invented our own tools to hold down both control arms while we swapped the ball joints under recall. Yep ABS/TCM/BCM modules.... crap. Most of those electronics are made in France FWIW. Those guys make Lucas in England look like a bunch of pikers.

Brother... you just haven't lived a full life until you've done R&R trans on an S-80. Turbos are even more fun.

We also had a few S-80's that would electronically lock people inside the car.

Fun Times!

Old 08-09-2008, 12:54 PM
Dazed and Confused

After having my TCH almost 2 years and 63,000+ miles, i am still happy with it, but starting to also get bored with it.

I am getting tired of driving a car. Coming from a F-250 and a Land Rover Discovery, the TCh took some time getting used to it.

While I like the fact that I get 35 - 40 MPG, I don't like the following:

1. Sits way to low.
2. Not sporty enough
3. Keep having a nagging feeling people think I am a green peace loving freak.
4. Not conducive to transport of my dog.
5. Has a small trunk and the batteries were placed in the wrong spot to prevent and decent sized items from being able to pass through the trunk.
6. Rear speakers have blow from listening to talk radio, and has a terrible reverb now.

So I have been considering replacing the TCh with a Corvette, a Four Runner, or a Land Cruiser.

The Corvette will just make issue 1 worse, but it would be a fun car that would make up for the short coming in performance alone, and the other options just feel more pragmatic.

I guess since I have not decided what I want, the TCH will have to do for now.

Do I regret buying it, no. Do I like it, yes.

Does it excite me, no.

Old 08-09-2008, 02:08 PM
Enthusiast

I had my TCH for almost 6 months now, close to 10k miles ... I had BMWs for my last few cars, the last one a X5 ... someone at work asked me about the TCH, I said it's great on mpg, I feel safe in it, it brings me where I need to go (80+ % commute, 45 miles both ways), it's big enough to take the kids and stuff to the beach. Then she asked: is it fun to drive, my answer: No. It sure handles better than my last FWD 10 years or so ago, but it's a FWD and it is not sporty. But I miss that part maybe once every 3 months ...