Who's Sorry Now?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 12:58 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Who's Sorry Now?

I realize most of the posts on this board are by satisfied hybrid enthusiasts, but are there any TCH owners out there that have buyer's remorse? If so, what went wrong? Why do you regret your purchasing decision?

I must admit that I was initially conflicted about buying a TCH. Being in my mid forties, on the one hand I wanted something sporty like an Acura TL, Infiniti G35, or BMW 3 series. On the other hand, the TCH appealed to my pragmatic, logical side. It was like choosing between a girl who sews and is a great cook, and one that just looks hot.

However, after owning my TCH for over a year, I realize what a wise purchasing decision I made. Mine is loaded with all the bells and whistles, leather, NAV, etc., and gets better fuel economy than the Lexus ES350. I truly enjoy driving it every day.

Also, the resale values are amazing. It's trunk is a little small, but I have a minivan for those long trips with family in tow.

Come on, you disgruntled owners out there. What's your gripe?

Old 08-06-2008, 01:03 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Who's Sorry Now?

Originally Posted by LEAKYTCH
.... It was like choosing between a girl who sews and is a great cook, and one that just looks hot....
Sews?
Surely you could have come up with a better analogy.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:20 PM
Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Who's Sorry Now?

I must admit that I was initially conflicted about buying a TCH. Being in my mid forties, on the one hand I wanted something sporty like an Acura TL.

Like you I was conflicted, I still feel the Acura TL is beautiful and fun to drive. However, the TCH is far more practical.

In my mind, the perfect car would look like the TL and have the hybrid drive.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

In my mind, the perfect car would look like the TL and have the hybrid drive.
One factor in the choice of a "Perfect Car" is probably dependent on one's age. If I was back in my mid-40's, I'd probably agree with your hybrid TL idea.

Right now, 5 months shy of the BIG 6-0, I'd vote for a hybrid version of the Lexus ES (with a 4-cyl.) and cannot understand why Toyota hasn't built one.

Maybe with the price of gas being so high they WILL forsake their design philosophy of "performance hybrids" and go for fuel economy on at least one model. It should be a relatively simple matter to convert the ES.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:01 PM
HAPPY TCH OWNER

I wanted something sporty like an Acura TL, Infiniti G35, or BMW 3 series.
My other ride is an 07' BMW 530I: black on black, sport package, lthr heated sports seats, Chrome 18"s, nav., convince entry (keyless like the TCH for $1,100 option), tinted, active steering (another $1K), moving HID headlamps ($$$), low profile run flat tires, Yada, Yada, Yada.
I paid the high price ($60K) because my wife is a Realtor in SoCal and we needed a "Realtor Car". The first 6 months my wife hated it and stuck with the Expedition unless she needed it for a client. Then she got used to it and stasrted driving it full time. Boy I was glad.
It is the ultimate driving machine but... I've had a fair amount of issues including control software, terrible ergonomics (no where to put a cell phone, sunglasses, or even a pen) and the IDrive that is just weird especially entering an address into the nav. It has a hard, almost bumpy ride, and will exhaust you driving to Vegas from LA. Performance is amazing and if you want to race (yea sure on LA freeways) the car handles like a Porsche. And at that price it should. Then at 50K miles I needed new tires. HOW ABOUT $1,500.00 FOR 4 TIRES? Over all I'll give it a B- as daily a car but an A+ as a show car. Problem is I do more driving than showing.
MY TCH has more room in the back 75% better mileage fine handeling for normal driving and is 1/2 the price. I bought the TCH, thank goodness I leased the BMW!
Don't look back you made a solid decision. If you want a cool car, rent a Ferrari for a weekend.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:14 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Being in my mid forties, on the one hand I wanted something sporty like an Acura TL,
Yep!

I'm staring down the barrel of 40 in 2 months, a calculus I couldn't escape even at 38 when I bought the car. Oh the TL is a sweet, smart ride alright. It was my first choice. Hell gas was at $2.50! How much higher could it really go?!?!

These days I only have passing thoughts that I should have at least looked at the Prius instead of replaying that awful South Park episode in my head.

Sometimes I think I should have bought a cheap, used economy car.

But since I'm in other cities quite often in rental cars... that's where I really miss my car. You might not believe what passes for a "premium" car in a rental fleet these days.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:09 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
Sews?
Surely you could have come up with a better analogy.
Maybe he puts a lot of holes in his socks.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

It was like choosing between a girl who sews and is a great cook, and one that just looks hot.
I think the TCH "sews and is a great cook, AND looks hot."

Old 08-08-2008, 03:31 PM
Enthusiast

i found a guy who is a great cook and is hot....plus i have a tch that i love...as far as sewing...who cares? (lol) i won the jackpot apparently...

...i suppose i should add that i have no remorse regarding my car. i still love everything about it and can't imagine wanting a new car any time soon....

Old 08-08-2008, 03:58 PM
it's just a car...

As posted elsewhere, I wish I'd opted for GPS (infrequently) and demanded Michelins (daily); otherwise there's little remorse....

Quick Reply: Who's Sorry Now?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands