Wheels & Tires for Winter

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 08:08 AM
Enthusiast
Default Wheels & Tires for Winter

Greetings,

I'm in the process of buying a set of winter tires & wheels. I've been talking to "The Tire Rack". They informed me that they do not have any wheels that are specked out for the Hybrid. They do have wheels that are used in fitting a 2007 Camry LE.My question is: Can I use LE wheels for my Hybrid? Are they the same?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mike

Old 12-01-2006, 11:20 AM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Default Re: Wheels & Tires for Winter

The Camry CE, LE, & XLE & the Hybrid all have the same size tires and wheels standard. Only the SE has the larger 17" wheels and tires as std equipment.
http://www.toyota.com/camry/specs.html

The 16" LE winter tires and wheels will work just fine on the hybrid.

If you are concerned about the tire pressure monitors that are built in to the existing hybrid wheels, discuss that with tire rack. Maybe they can transfer the pressure monitors, or you may just want to do without tire pressure monitors for the winter.

Old 12-01-2006, 12:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Interesting question as I want/need to get something for my wife's TCH as well. Don't have an answer but am an interested spectator.

Old 12-01-2006, 12:11 PM
Enthusiast

I live in Canada (Ottawa) and got a set of Michelin X-ICE tires with 16" Toyota OEM rims, nitrogen filled and balanced. I got them from Tiretrends.com in British Columbia and they were less expensive delivered by UPS than getting them locally. I'm very happy with the tires. Today we are experiencing freezing rain and snow I was out in it and had no problems. On a trip to North Bay Ontario a week ago (about 480 miles RT) I got about 35mpg. That's US gallons NOT Canadian Imperial gallons. Canadiam TCH's do not have the tire pressure monitoring system so there was no problems for me.

Old 12-01-2006, 02:38 PM
Enthusiast

Two weeks ago, I put on four directional Nokian WRs on the OEM rims. They are All Weather tires that are rated for winter weather (mountain and snow flake symbol). I have run these year round on my other cars and find them very secure and the ride is smooth. They have deep treads and the wear rating is 450 with the other ratings at "A". Currently, I see a little drop in mpg (about 1 mpg), but it has started to get cold in upstate NY.

Old 12-02-2006, 03:09 PM
Enthusiast

I too got the Michelin X-ICE tires. I'm very happy with them, maybe even more so than the Blizzak WS-50s I had on previous cars.

I got mine installed at Costco. They did a great job, once I showed them how to drive it into the bay!