New Wheels and winter tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 08:44 PM
Enthusiast
Default New Wheels and winter tires

Since we live in snow country we plan to put a set of winter/snow tires on our new TCH. To make our life easier we are considering purchasing an extra set of wheels for the new tires. What brand wheels and tires should we consider purchasing? Will winter tires reduce our FE? Should we buy standard wheels or pay extra for a set of extra light weight wheels?

Old 07-27-2006, 08:12 AM
HSD Organic Interface
Default Re: New Wheels and winter tires

I've heard good things about Michelin X-Ice tires. If I was buying winter tires this is probably the one I'd look at first. I put Goodyear TripleTreds on my van last fall. Although they are all-season tires they come very highly rated in the all-season category, and they have been the best wet weather tire I've ever experienced. We didn't have any really good snow storms this last winter so can't comment too much about deep snow traction. Seemed fine on the few occasions I had on plowed roads.

Old 07-27-2006, 10:44 AM
Olde Farte
Default Re: New Wheels and winter tires

I suppose it really depends on how bad your winters are. The all-season tires that come on the Camry should be "decent", but if you live in the back-woods or other area where the snowfall could be heavy, dedicated snow tires may be good. I run a full set of Dunlop WinterSport M3 snow tiress on my S2000 in the winter and they are awesome. Check them out on TireRack's website. Here is the link for the comparison of snow tires: http://tinyurl.com/5vtqf